Bad to check your status online every day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As most of you know, some medical schools have this "applicant portal" in which you can check the status of your application. I usually check it once a day. Do you think medical schools log how much we check that status page? I am thinking they may think I have no life because I check it everyday. Am I just being paranoid?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorB said:
As most of you know, some medical schools have this "applicant portal" in which you can check the status of your application. I usually check it once a day. Do you think medical schools log how much we check that status page? I am thinking they may think I have no life because I check it everyday. Am I just being paranoid?
If they do track how frequently you check, I would think once a day is a good thing...

Oh my god, you will drive yourself crazy doing this. You'll check it three times a day for the first 2 weeks, then once a day, then once every couple of days, and finally you'll realize that they are never going to get back to you, so you'll forget about it for several months.

But you're going to keep doing it anyway, because you have the pre-med personality type. I know because I was like that, too.

Find something to do and get your mind off of it. Good luck.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't they normally send out an email if anything changes on your status page?

Do yourself a favor and stop checking it! I was waitlisted this yr and the adcom posts pictures of those accepted on a wall. I would walk by everyday and check to see if someone declined and its slowly driven me crazy! If your status changes you will be notified, no worries. Good Luck!

jillibean said:
Not necessarily. Depends on how technologically up-to-date the admissions office is with their system...or if they have people in their office who will sit there and manually do the emailing.

maybe they have a tracker that checks how often you check other schools' status sites also and then they take the number of times u visit their site, divide it by the total number of times u visit all school's sites and if this number is less than 0.1 YOU'RE OUT! :eek:

jillibean said:

I know Duke for one is known for communicating with applicants solely through the status page.

DoctorB said:
Am I just being paranoid?

You aren't paranoid -- everyone is out to get you. Med schools are watching your every move once you submit AMCAS. That black van outside is them right now. They know what computer sites you log onto. They even listen in on your cell phone calls. Careful. They are watching.

Med schools are swamped enough. They probably don't check how many times you have logged in, seeing as how that is probably only acessible in their IT department. If they keep track of anything, its probably how many times you call.

i check obsessively too, which is probably not good in the long run, but i found out through cornell's status page that i had an interview and should contact them. i have no idea if they would have emailed eventually, but they certainly hadn't at the time that i checked, so i think it's a good idea to check one's status page often.