Bad Volunteer Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderment

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm saying this because,
I've been volunteering in the patient care program at a unit in a hospital. I've been made fun of several times by the nurses, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists there and I always hear them make sly remarks towards me, I even had two nurses laugh at me and I heard it and turned around and they stopped.

I am a volunteer so there is not a lot I am trained to do but I try to keep busy and always ask if the nurses or unit clerks need help. One of the requirements of volunteers at the hospital is to change the PPE boxes in every room. Because I have a lot of time to kill, the unit clerk tells me to take my time, so one of the tasks that I do is that I change and sort the gloves (It is mandatory that every box is full and neatly sorted) but it seems like it's looked down at by the nurses and other staff. One time a physical therapists said that I'm must be so bored to do that. After a few times of changing and sorting gloves, many of the respiratory and physical therapists stopped talking to me, they don't even say hi anymore. But I know they still talk about me.
Another time, I was filling a pitcher for a patient and was having trouble with the ice machine and a nurse comes up to me and says," What? You don't have experience to use the ice machine?"

I wish there was more I could do there but there isn't. It's like they get annoyed at me asking them if they need help and seem to be annoyed at having a volunteer present.
For example, I once asked a nurse if she needed any help and she sarcastically said, " Mm no I think everyone got water."
I also have patients that look down on me when I answer call bells when they tell me, " Oh your just a volunteer, I need a nurse."

I may just being sensitive but I leave the hospital feeling bad about myself. I'm there twice a week during the week and I just dread going in most times. Does it get any better?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm saying this because,
I've been volunteering in the patient care program at a unit in a hospital. I've been made fun of several times by the nurses, respiratory therapists, and physical therapists there and I always hear them make sly remarks towards me, I even had two nurses laugh at me and I heard it and turned around and they stopped.

I am a volunteer so there is not a lot I am trained to do but I try to keep busy and always ask if the nurses or unit clerks need help. One of the requirements of volunteers at the hospital is to change the PPE boxes in every room. Because I have a lot of time to kill, the unit clerk tells me to take my time, so one of the tasks that I do is that I change and sort the gloves (It is mandatory that every box is full and neatly sorted) but it seems like it's looked down at by the nurses and other staff. One time a physical therapists said that I'm must be so bored to do that. After a few times of changing and sorting gloves, many of the respiratory and physical therapists stopped talking to me, they don't even say hi anymore. But I know they still talk about me.
Another time, I was filling a pitcher for a patient and was having trouble with the ice machine and a nurse comes up to me and says," What? You don't have experience to use the ice machine?"

I wish there was more I could do there but there isn't. It's like they get annoyed at me asking them if they need help and seem to be annoyed at having a volunteer present.
For example, I once asked a nurse if she needed any help and she sarcastically said, " Mm no I think everyone got water."
I also have patients that look down on me when I answer call bells when they tell me, " Oh your just a volunteer, I need a nurse."

I may just being sensitive but I leave the hospital feeling bad about myself. I'm there twice a week during the week and I just dread going in most times. Does it get any better?

Sorry you are experiencing this. Unless you left out any serious character flaws, then the fault is not on you. You just described a very hostile work environment. It seems a bit clique-y and, unfortunately, you are the target of their attention. Are there any other volunteer opportunities in your area? Do things you are passionate about. Don't waste time doing things that make you un-happy because you feel like you have to be there for volunteer hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm saying this because,

This does sound most unfortunate. Any negative interaction I have had with nurses or staff during my experiences is usually them just being "whatever" towards me. I find it highly odd that they would make fun of you since I'm sure you're not the first volunteer in their unit.

Either way, do what I do: keep your eye on the prize!

Easier said than done, believe me I know but you will be a far better physician one day because of it.

Starting at the bottom really helps once you move up towards the top. Then one day you can be the doctor who is being super cool to all the volunteers at wherever you are practicing and set an example to any rude staff members.

Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.