"Bait & Switch" Associateship Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

experiment626

Freeze Ray!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone who responded to a dental associate job ad only for find it was not what was advertised? What was your experience? Here's mine:

One of my early jobs was with a Kois trained dentist who did implants, full mouth reconstruction, IV sedation, and other advanced procedures I wanted mentorship in. After I onboarded and left my community health clinic position, I was placed on hygiene duty, delivered his crowns, scrubbed toilets, answered the phone from the front desk, and got paid a daily flat of $300 or 7% production versus the industry standard of 30% production/collection. He stated he successfully launched dental chains in other states and would teach me how to do the same if I stuck with him long enough. I was super naive this being my first private practice job. I built his social media page & did everything I could to build the business. When I tried to renegotiate the compensation to match the industry standard, he fired me. This was also after I interviewed an associate who I thought was going to be our 3rd doctor, only to find out later he was my replacement. :cryi:

Another job ad I responded to was a dentist who said he owned 2 practices and needed a second doctor to work 4-5 days with the pay $120,000 to $300,000 per year. I accepted. WOW I hit the JACKPOT!!! Upon onboarding, I find out the second practice was an empty office with no patients... They wanted somebody to sit in the office all day with the lights on and hoping patients would come. The compensation was then changed to an hourly pay of $75. Again, procedures where hygiene, exams, crown delivery, etc. The office hours were never guaranteed as everyone would be sent home early if it was a slow day. I'd also get notified the night before that I had the day off as there were no patients. The conversations changed to "we'll call you when we need you." Never heard from them again... :confused:

I then decided to try my luck applying to a corporate dental chain that offered a guaranteed salary with benefits & sign on bonus of $10,000. I almost accepted it until I read the 20 page contract which stated that the guaranteed salary would be deducted if I didn't make the monthly production goal. If I left the practice before the yearly contract ended, I'd forfeit the $10,000 bonus and I'd have to pay $800 per day until they found another associate to replace me. There was also a 10 mile non-compete radius for each practice they owned and I'd have to report where my next job was so they can verify I was not within the non-compete radius. The currently employed doctor seemed excited that I would be taking his spot, but became anxious when I declined. He kept calling me trying to convince me to take his place, but I didn't feel comfortable being trapped in such a restrictive contract. :eek:

This story has a good ending though. I finally found a practice that seems to be "legit" and a good fit. It's 30% production with no sneaky contracts. They do full mouth rehab and all to procedures I ever wanted to do. I've been here for a few months and so far, I've learned more and earn more in a month than I would've in a year working at my last few associateships. Only took like +10 offices to find it...I chose to leave some of the offices off my resume as I didn't want to come off to my future employers of "bouncing around". With the limited job opportunities out there on craigslist and indeed, I'm just grateful to be going somewhere to do legit dentistry that can pay the bills while leaving me fulfilled. :)

I have more stories but that's all I'm willing to write for this one post. I'm interested in hearing about your experiences testing the job market and tips for spotting "bait & switch" jobs.
  • P.S. I recently found out the Kois dentist from my first job went through 10 more new grad associates and had constant staff turnovers. He gained such a negative reputation in the dental community that nobody wanted to apply for positions at his practice. He also has 3 lawsuits against him from patients and staff for fraud, abuse, and not following protocols for decontaminating his instruments. His practice got absorbed by a DSO and is now working as an associate for a corporate chain. Getting fired was a blessing I guess.
  • I also enrolled at the Kois Center and found it to be the best experience ever. I wouldn't have known about it nor applied to be a student if it wasn't for my first job.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users