balancing clinic and studying for boards (part 1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arez10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at my school, we have off from April until June, which is when we start clinic. If I didn't have part 1 to study for, I would definitely plan to study clinically related topics...things I will most likely get pimped on in the clinic. I realize that the material on part 1 really does not overlap with applicable information that I will be using every day with the exception of LEA and it will be difficult to review this applicable stuff while studying for boards. For the 3rd and 4th years on here, did you feel prepared going into clinic/rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Your excitement and eagerness to succeed immediately in clinic is understandable. I was the same way. However, I think your single and only concern should be passing Part 1. That should be your obsession until you take it in July as a 2nd year.

Then, it will take you a while to adjust to the flow of clinic. Focus on doing a very thorough history and practice your physical exam skills. Experience is really what will help you progress. If you have to study, go over your old lectures. Focus on textbooks and don't waste your time on newer journal articles. Reading "classic" articles is also advisable.

Then when you feel comfortable clinically, start working on your differential diagnoses for each patient. Start trying to list at least 5 things that the presenting patient could have and start to work on narrowing them down. Don't focus on what you think it IS: work on ruling out what it ISN'T first.

I
So at my school, we have off from April until June, which is when we start clinic. If I didn't have part 1 to study for, I would definitely plan to study clinically related topics...things I will most likely get pimped on in the clinic. I realize that the material on part 1 really does not overlap with applicable information that I will be using every day with the exception of LEA and it will be difficult to review this applicable stuff while studying for boards. For the 3rd and 4th years on here, did you feel prepared going into clinic/rotations?

None of us were really ready for clinic, and the step1 stuff felt irrelevant. However now towards the end of 3rd year, every now and then a random tidbit from step1 would come useful to my studies and now i dont regret taking the time to review all of the basics that ive learned previously so by no means is studying step1 a waste of time, its just difficult to appreciate immediately.

Study broadly including basic human physiology (class notes come in handy here), dont get caught up in details (i.e. ribosomal subunit of antibiotics, very rare diseases, etc). Id bring some material to clinic to study during downtime.