Baltimore Prelim Program comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finalizing my internship ROL and want some opinions on which program to rank higher:

Mercy Medical Center (Univ of MD) vs Franklin Square Hospital

Yes, I've already done a search. Very little out there.

Help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Franklin Square by a long shot. Now they switched over to a nightfloat but interns don't take nightfloat just the upperlevels. :) Can you say day job! Everyone's so nice over there and you never feel scutted as a prelim. Procedure-wise...you can do as much or a little as you want to. Great support from the faculty as a prelim with great bread-and-butter medicine. Would definitely go there again (and this is before they switched over to nightfloat when we took q4 call and q3 on the unit).

derm PGY2

Franklin Square by a long shot. Now they switched over to a nightfloat but interns don't take nightfloat just the upperlevels. :) Can you say day job! Everyone's so nice over there and you never feel scutted as a prelim. Procedure-wise...you can do as much or a little as you want to. Great support from the faculty as a prelim with great bread-and-butter medicine. Would definitely go there again (and this is before they switched over to nightfloat when we took q4 call and q3 on the unit).

derm PGY2

You know what? I got a really good feeling when I did my interview at Franklin Square and even went back for 2nd looks. You're absolutely right. The schedule seems AMAZING with the new nightfloat system. And everyone seemed really happy (including interns!).

But what drew me to Mercy was the quality of their program, the hospital and the fact that you're given $5 for every meal (I love food). Although Mercy does seem a bit busier. I may be wrong.

I'm curious, whats so bad about Mercy? Or is FS just "that good?"

Members don't see this ad :)
JHU Sinai

Positive: Nice hospital. Has Hopkins affliations, and PD is apparently very welcome towards doing electives there. They have free lunch at Noon conference every day most of the time.

Negatives: PD micromanages everything and either you love him or hate him. Some of the Categorical Residents are treated in appropriately and are threatened to not move on the next year. The Prelims obviously are able to fight it off b/c they will be going on to big programs for PGY 2. But this can create a bad morale for the work. Also call I hear is pretty often and hard. Not too different then UMM in terms of frequency, but I hear you get Reemed a lot harder at UMM.

Nothing bad at all about Mercy. It depends what you want. Franklin Square's cushier, at Mercy you'll learn more. Mercy has a very reasonable humane schedule and a positive, friendly atmosphere. I would pick it again in a heartbeat. I think people are happy at Franklin Square too. Go with whichever felt better to you.

The word of mouth about Harbor is that it's a joke - very easy but no learning.

does anyone have any information on the transitional year program at Maryland General Hospital? I know they are listed as on probation this year, for the first time ever in there accreditation history, but I don't know why. I've tried to use the search function but can't seem to find any general info on the program. any info you all have about the program, structure or anything of substance would be appreciated and beneficial. thanks!

I don't know about their transitional year program specifically, but this hospital is not well thought of in Baltimore. To put it mildly.

Do any of your guys know anything about the Prelim year at Good Sam. I have an interview there on Friday, debating whether it's worth it for me to travel all the to baltimore for the interview...

I want a chill intern year, so wondering how does Good sam compare to Franklin Square or Harbor.

Thanks!!