**Barry Class of 2011**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oc01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to Barry University this coming fall, and I was wondering if anyone is going to join me. If so can you please tell me if you know where you might be living. Housing on campus is very expensive. So please email me if you have any other additional info on housing. Thanks

PS: if any of you are on facebook let me know. byeeeeee

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have an interview at Barry this coming Monday. I was wondering if I can get some feedback from you since you have already gone through the interview. Is it pretty relaxed? what type of questions do they ask you? what's the school like? Also, how long after your interview did you get your acceptance letter? I would certainly appreciate your reply,it would be very helpful:)

hi lilly

congrats on getting the interview. the interview it self was really relaxed, dont worry about it you will be fine. I actually was accepted that day. So it was nice to know that I got it. I really like miami, although it is very expensive to live there, but since I'm from southern cali its about the same price range. So good luck if you have any more questions you can email me. bye

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree campus housing is expensive, but keep in mind that you'll save gas $, food, bills, etc. If you live on campus, your only real bill is your cell phone (you get a free room phone with campus housing).

Below is Barry's Res Life off-campus housing database. The department doesn't own these and obviously can't regulate or check them out, but it's a start. Since these places are around campus, you will probably find other Barry students living in most of them.

http://doitapps.barry.edu/offcampushousing/FullList.asp

A fair number of my classmates live on NE 2nd Ave (Holly House), and many others live on NE 135th St - there are many condos there to the east of Biscayne Blvd.

Oc01- I will see you there this fall.

Lillykhav- I was accepted at the interview

PM me for more info

Curious...

How much is everyone requesting in federal loans (to cover ALL expenses, out-of-state)? Just want to make sure I'm not asking for too little..

Thanks

Curious...

How much is everyone requesting in federal loans (to cover ALL expenses, out-of-state)? Just want to make sure I'm not asking for too little..

Thanks
I'd say to always take out the max... $38.5k per year. The only exceptions would be if you are living with parents or some special situation where your expenses are drastically lowered. You can always bank any extra leftover $ for a rainy day (car repair, emergency travel, etc) or big future school expenses (boards, surgical textbooks, nice clothes and suits for clinic and interviews, 4th year clerkship travel costs, etc). At Barry, you will also get any scholarships you have added on above that 38.5k...

That gives you plenty of $ in your first year when the money only has to cover two semesters (fall and spring), but you can use it for one-time expenses like moving, new furniture, laptop for school, etc. After that, 2nd year and beyond, the loan + scholarship money has to last for 3 semesters (summer, fall, spring), and it will probably be just about the right amount as long as you can manage money and are living within your means.

hey Marine I sent you a PM

Hey

so I was wondering has anyone actually seen the on campus housing that barry is offering to graduate students this year. I actually just got the housing info on thursday and I called the office to ask if they can email a floor plan or pics of the private room with bath and they said they didnt have any pics or even a floor plan. So has anyone seen it already and is it nice. cause if I'm gonna be paying $5,000 a semseter I would like it to be fairly decent. I am coming from Cali so its gonna be really hard for me to find other housing, so please let me know. Thanks

Hey,

I have an interview on Monday May 21st at Barry University. I'm a little nervous, since one I am coming from Minneapolis, MN, and two I'm not so sure what hotel to stay in and how to get to the campus. If you can let me know what hotel you stayed in, if you called a cab to get there, and also what kind of questions they asked, that would be great.

Did they ask questions about your MCATS? GPA? Volunteer work? I want to be as prepared as possible, and just give them a great impression about me. Thanks for any feedback! :)

Hey Leila

I sent you a PM

Hey,

I have an interview on Monday May 21st at Barry University. I'm a little nervous, since one I am coming from Minneapolis, MN, and two I'm not so sure what hotel to stay in and how to get to the campus. If you can let me know what hotel you stayed in, if you called a cab to get there, and also what kind of questions they asked, that would be great.

Did they ask questions about your MCATS? GPA? Volunteer work? I want to be as prepared as possible, and just give them a great impression about me. Thanks for any feedback! :)
^The interviews here aren't really a high pressure situation. I guess it might depend which faculty member(s) does the interview, though. I had the physio professor, and he liked my extensive physio background in undergrad (gen physio, med physio, systems physio I & II). I applied/interviewed in fall 04 and started here in fall 05, though, so other pre-pods would be a better source of current interview environment.

There's a ton of hotels in Miami. It depends if you are trying to stay cheap or want to enjoy the city for a few days. If you want cheap (I did), you could try this hotel... relatively cheap, and a cab ride to/from Barry is probably only $10 or less:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-371...MDOTY5NTUzMjUEc2VjA3NzcC1ob3RlbARzbGsDdGl0bGU-

This one is good too. It's on the ocean, but a bit more spendy and further away from Barry:
http://www.bestwesternonthebay.com/

Hey

so I was wondering has anyone actually seen the on campus housing that barry is offering to graduate students this year. I actually just got the housing info on thursday and I called the office to ask if they can email a floor plan or pics of the private room with bath and they said they didnt have any pics or even a floor plan. So has anyone seen it already and is it nice. cause if I'm gonna be paying $5,000 a semseter I would like it to be fairly decent. I am coming from Cali so its gonna be really hard for me to find other housing, so please let me know. Thanks
It's student housing; take it FWIW. It's expensive, but living on campus includes food and saves a ton of gas $. I work in Res Life and have seen all the halls, but I don't wanna "sway" you, and you should check it out firsthand if at all possible.

I'm pretty sure that the first 50 or so grad students who get their housing deposit in are going to be in the singles in Kolasa Hall (after that, other grad students get off campus hotel room in a hotel the university contracts with). Kolasa's the nicest and newest residence hall, and the singles are pretty nice (think small one bedroom apartment). The building is near the Landon student union (gym, cafe, etc). The only downside is that Kolasa is about as far as you can get from the podiatry classrooms right now. However, once the new Graduate Medical Science building opens up (projected fall of 08), then Kolasa will be as close as student housing gets:

http://www.barry.edu/general/campusMap.htm
(Kolasa is 33, current pod classes/labs in 9, future pod classes in "Future SGMS building")

hey Feli

I sent you a PM, thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey feli - thanks for the info. Wondering if I should purchase a PDA for classes. I'm pretty sure that the classrooms aren't integrated for PDA use, but do you know if the new SGMS building will have it set-up for its' use?

Also, does anyone know when we should be receiving more information about 1st year classes/schedules?

Thanks!

Orientation is August 23 ,24, classes start Monday August 27th

Hey feli - thanks for the info. Wondering if I should purchase a PDA for classes. I'm pretty sure that the classrooms aren't integrated for PDA use, but do you know if the new SGMS building will have it set-up for its' use?

Also, does anyone know when we should be receiving more information about 1st year classes/schedules?

Thanks!

Hey feli...
I replied to your PM, but I think your box is full. Here's a quick explanation for anyone who is recently accepted and looking for more info...

If you are having delays in getting ahold of Mariselly or other Barry admin staff, it's because they're extremely busy this week. They're usually pretty good about quickly returning calls/email/etc, but we had final exams last week and grades are due this week. Many students are meeting with the profs and admins, so it causes a logjam for a lil while (believe me, I am trying to meet with them too :D). Try back in a week or two and you should have no problem.

You can PM me if you haven't heard anything from Barry in a month, but I've never heard of anyone not receiving the orientation and class schedule, campus maps, Big Bro/Sis info, etc in plenty of time before classes start. I'm pretty sure that most students accepted already have most or all of that stuff, and for those newly accepted, just be a bit patient.

As for housing info, that is something you probably want to get moving on if you want Barry grad student housing, and it's a separate department from Graduate Medical Sciences. Res Life office was crazy last week and this past weekend, but all of the students are moved out now and it's serenity central. Their number is 305-899-3875 and should be fairly easy to get through to during business hours... just call and ask for Graduate Student Housing Packet to be mailed to you.

Hey,

Hey don't worry, the interview is extremely relaxed. The main question is, "Why podiatry?"

Leila I sent you a PM

leila- sent you a pm.

question:
so before i start barry in aug i have to have a letter of rec from a dpm. so i wanna just go into a podiatrists office and shadow them for like a week this summer. but is that an appropriate length of time? how long is a decent amount of time to shadow a podiatrist before asking them for a letter of rec? any suggestions...
thanks

question:
so before i start barry in aug i have to have a letter of rec from a dpm. so i wanna just go into a podiatrists office and shadow them for like a week this summer. but is that an appropriate length of time? how long is a decent amount of time to shadow a podiatrist before asking them for a letter of rec? any suggestions...
thanks
There's no real guidelines, but I'd say one week is about right for shadowing. Most DPMs do a few days of clinic and maybe one or two OR days per week, so try to get a taste of both. You don't "just go into a podiatrist's office and shadow" lol; some docs are too busy or just not interested in teaching. Call around, explain your pre-pod status and desire to learn, and, if the podiatry private practice or hospital department is keen to the idea, set up a schedule and get appropriate dress code tips from the office secretary.

On your last scheduled day, bring a stamped document envelope bearing the pod school admissions address. Tell the podiatrist(s) you really appreciate the experience and are excited to start school. Inform him that you'd appreciate if he could write a letter for you stating that you've tagged along and learned with him. These aren't really a "letter of rec," because those letters came from people who knew you for years and have an idea of your ability. The point of the DPM letter is just so the school knows you have a good idea what pods do.

If you have a good shadowing experience want to add a personal touch, you could also leave a thank you card and a box of candy for the podiatrist, the nurses, and office staff on your last day...

What is the dress code at Barry? When I was at the interview it was half the students in scrubs and the other half in business casual.

What is the dress code at Barry? When I was at the interview it was half the students in scrubs and the other half in business casual.
Within reason, there is no dress code for 1st and 2nd year students. You have to wear scrubs or a lab coat to anat and physio lab, but there is no dress code for basic sciences lecture classes. You probably want to wear business casual or a suit if you give a presentation, though.

For 3rd and 4th year students, you have to wear scrubs or clinic attire (business casual) on clinic days. There is talk of making 3rd and 4th year students wear buisness casual on all days, but I don't really know where that's at and I wouldn't concern yourself with it for now.

Looks like I'll be at Barry this fall too. Has anyone heard anything from admissions other than the deposit info? Has anyone found housing off campus yet? Im from California and its hard to get housing/apt info from so far away.

ucrs i sent you a pm

oc01 i sent you a pm.

so after a few weeks of thinking of where to go, I decided to go to Barry, where my dad is also an alum! So now I'm looking for anyone else who is joining Barry class of '11 (send me a PM, we should get to know each other!), and if any older Barry students/ alum have any advice for us freshmen?! Thanks :D

MJ Ella I just sent you a PM back! byeee

I was hoping if any older Barry students could kinda fill me into what I can be expecting from a usual day in Barry during the first year. How many classes a day/ week, what time they start/ end, teacher/ student interactions, lunch, etc? I'm kinda anxious about the 8-6 day that they told me I'd have to do when I went for my interview. Are the classes really rigorous (compared to undergrad science classes)? Thanks a lot in advance!

I was hoping if any older Barry students could kinda fill me into what I can be expecting from a usual day in Barry during the first year. How many classes a day/ week, what time they start/ end, teacher/ student interactions, lunch, etc? I'm kinda anxious about the 8-6 day that they told me I'd have to do when I went for my interview. Are the classes really rigorous (compared to undergrad science classes)? Thanks a lot in advance!
It depends what day of the week, but most days are long during the basic sciences years. It'll usually be about 8hrs or so in classes (sometimes 8-4, sometimes 11-7, etc... maybe 8-8 once per week), but there are a couple breaks in there. Three days per week might be longer, and a couple other days might be shorter (it depends largely on your lab groupings).

Here's a thread with some good advice:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=397136

The main time come in as study time. Most students go to lectures, but how much attention you pay in lectures and the amount of time spent studying is usually the difference maker in terms of how much you learn and how well you will perform. The key is focus. If you are sitting in the lecture but just playing on your laptop internet instead of listening to the professor, that's not focused. If you're in a "study group" but just chatting and gossiping 75% of the time, that's not focused. If you want to be a strong student, you should plan to be doing focused studying for at least a couple hours per night and increasing that when exams are approaching.

It depends what day of the week, but most days are long during the basic sciences years. It'll usually be about 8hrs or so in classes (sometimes 8-4, sometimes 11-7, etc... maybe 8-8 once per week), but there are a couple breaks in there. Three days per week might be longer, and a couple other days might be shorter (it depends largely on your lab groupings).

Here's a thread with some good advice:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=397136

The main time come in as study time. Most students go to lectures, but how much attention you pay in lectures and the amount of time spent studying is usually the difference maker in terms of how much you learn and how well you will perform. The key is focus. If you are sitting in the lecture but just playing on your laptop internet instead of listening to the professor, that's not focused. If you're in a "study group" but just chatting and gossiping 75% of the time, that's not focused. If you want to be a strong student, you should plan to be doing focused studying for at least a couple hours per night and increasing that when exams are approaching.

Thank Feli- I'm mostly scared of the hours I'll have to put into classes and exams, but I guess that's always what every student in the med field has to expect. During my undergrad years, I would seriously study for an exam maybe a couple of days before the actual test and do fine on it- guess that's gotta change! :) hopefully miami won't be TOO distracting...

... During my undergrad years, I would seriously study for an exam maybe a couple of days before the actual test and do fine on it- guess that's gotta change! :) hopefully miami won't be TOO distracting...
Miami (or anywhere) is only as distracting as you let it be. You have to realize that you control yourself and you will need interest and talent as well as significant willpower to do well in a graduate medical program.

It sounds like your natural talent got you this far with minimal academic work, but the stakes are now raised and your classmates are, on average, brighter than they were in undergrad. You are 100% correct that your study habits need to change or you will probably be in bigtime trouble and could risk leaving the school with nothing but student loan debts. My best advice would be to listen well to Dr. Nelson when he talks to your class at orientation and hang onto his advice...

I was accepted to Barry and will be there this Fall. All I have received was the information on the deposit, which I have already sent in. I’m looking forward to meeting all of you that will be attending this Fall. Does any one know when we will receive other information?

Hey Barry class of 2011 prospectives~

I just finished up my first year at Barry, and am in my sophomore year classes this summer, as we go to school all year round. I see a lot of questions, and answers posted, but if you haven't gotten them all answered, ask away. I'll check SDN every day until August.

I was accepted to Barry and will be there this Fall. All I have received was the information on the deposit, which I have already sent in. I’m looking forward to meeting all of you that will be attending this Fall. Does any one know when we will receive other information?

I was just talking to a couple of people in our class about this too, Treese, and none of us have gotten any information from Barry except about the deposit. Hopefully that'll change up soon!

I was just talking to a couple of people in our class about this too, Treese, and none of us have gotten any information from Barry except about the deposit. Hopefully that'll change up soon!
I think I kinda hit on that (read my post #16 above). Once you send it your deposit and to confirm your seat, they'll put you into the system and you'll receive the schedules, maps, calendar, etc fairly soon after. You have to be a bit patient because the admissions staff is probably still interviewing students. They also have to clear your check, create a student account and file, etc. Like I said, I've never heard of a student not getting all their info in plenty of time for orientation (unless it's someone who interviews very last minute in late July or early Aug). The new student info packets are usually sent out in groups.

If it's been more than a month since you sent in your deposit, you could call Mariselly, but otherwise, you probably could just do your online FAFSA, look for housing, and be patient. I would also contact the office of FinAid to get a Barry Graduate Financial Aid form if you haven't already. You guys who just got accepted or just sent in your deposit are a bit late in the game, and that's ok, but you do want to get your federal loans in motion so they'll be ready on time or soon after. Other than that, the main things to know are just that new pod student orientation is Aug 23 and 24th (Thu and Fri), and classes begin the following Monday (8/27). As I said, you'll get all that info in plenty of time for matriculation...

i'll be going to barry also this fall and i got an email from the school stating that we should be getting an information packet in the mail any day now and they also sent me a link of the academic calender through summer 2008 if anybody needs it i'll post it.

i'll be going to barry also this fall and i got an email from the school stating that we should be getting an information packet in the mail any day now and they also sent me a link of the academic calender through summer 2008 if anybody needs it i'll post it.

When did you send in your deposit? How long ago was your deposit sent in? Thanks in advance

No one in our class lives on campus. On-campus housing is largely for undergrad students. Most students live in Aventura, North Miami Beach, Sunny Isles, or just south of the school. You should be getting an email soon from a representative in our class with a list of places current students live and how far the commute is to school.

No one in our class lives on campus. On-campus housing is largely for undergrad students. Most students live in Aventura, North Miami Beach, Sunny Isles, or just south of the school. You should be getting an email soon from a representative in our class with a list of places current students live and how far the commute is to school.

But for Fall, they are making one of dorms for graduate/pod students. I think its on a first come first serve basis.

1st semester freshman year, most of your classes will start first thing in the morning. Histo lab is 2x a week, as well as anatomy lab, so it really depends on what days you have labs that will determine how long your day is. 2nd semester, classes start a little later in the morning. You only have two labs a week - neuro and anatomy, so the time you spend in class is somewhat shorter than 1st semester.

I havent heard anything about that, so i can't advise you. I can only relate what I know of about my class and the 3rd years.

When did you send in your deposit? How long ago was your deposit sent in? Thanks in advance

I sent in my deposit before June 1st but I've called them several times a week to make sure that my financial aid fine and also with questions. so you be hearing something soon.

I am awaiting a response from Barry, but thought I'd check here to see if any of you could confirm that all seats are filled for entering Aug 07? Thanks!

I am awaiting a response from Barry, but thought I'd check here to see if any of you could confirm that all seats are filled for entering Aug 07? Thanks!

i'm not sure but i think they are full but are waiting to see if everyone will pay their deposit. so some should opening up soon.

I am not sure if the class is full, but I called last week to find out when the information packets would be sent out and I was told July, because they were still interviewing and filling the class. Good luck.

Does anyone know what kind of tests are given at Barry? I know GA and LEA will not be multiple choice tests, but are the other classes tested by multiple choice like the boards?

Does anyone know what kind of tests are given at Barry? I know GA and LEA will not be multiple choice tests, but are the other classes tested by multiple choice like the boards?
Amost every class is MC simply because it's faster and easier to grade, and that's how boards will be. I'd say that the majority of tests are 100% MC, but some professors have a few fill-in math or picture questions at the end (circa 80% MC/20% fill-in).

A good number of the Barry professors are also switching to the board exam policy that there will be no response to questions about exam content (ie: "but I thought both of these two arteries branch off the popliteal"). They basically want to avoid any student trying to coax hints out of the professor, and I agree with that. The only question those profs will address are format errors (two "B" choices, misspelling, etc).

If anyone going to Barry wants to room w/ a really cool 3rd year pod student let me know. I have a room available in my condo and am looking for a roommmate