Basic Arithmetic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eelgg123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am a Psychology major and I haven't taken any math courses in a long time. I have taken brief calc in college. I am planning on taking the MCAT in January. I know we can't use calculators, but I am terrible at math. I am thinking I should take a basic math course. Would that be frowned upon by adcoms? I would buy books for a refresher, but I know I'd lazy out till the last minute.

Members don't see this ad.

No need for basic math course!

It's just a series of tricks that you learn how to play around with equations, estimate fast, etc. And you can learn this through lots of practice problems and/or looking into various threads in MCAT forum for advices.

Algebra and trigonometry are necessary for the physics section of the MCAT, no calculus is tested and no prior knowledge of the subject is required *yay* . Take trig and you will be set. The chemistry section will require very basic arithmetic and algebra. Also, calculus is not a requirement for most medical schools, but you should check to make sure. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the thing is I tried reading some of the forums on how to estimate and approximations, but I just cant get it. Do you know of any great videos?

So if I were to take trigonometry, it won't be frowned upon, since calculus is higher? MAT220- Trig
Calc1- MAT251?

Well the thing is I tried reading some of the forums on how to estimate and approximations, but I just cant get it. Do you know of any great videos?

Perhaps, Khan videos? I know that Berkley Reviews are fantastic for PS section, so maybe look through it and do some practice problems slowly in the beginning, and learn the tricks as you go.