basic questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NexusMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping some people can answer these basic questions.
Here I am, a sophmore Entrepreneurship Major (in a program that is ranked in the top 15 in that field) taking pre-med/opt/pod/dent classes and trying to decide what to do with my life. I know I want to enter the health profession and start my own practice. I am consider all possible health related fields (even Audiology, PT, and OT).
I am interested in Surgery, but I dont feel like I want to spend that much time in school (for med school).
I dont want to be a dentist because they scare me (i dont know why).
Optometry seems to have its own issue on everything, especially with there being an excess of graduates (as stated in the OD forums).
Podiatry seems great. I am engaged, and want a family life, but I dont mind 6-7 years of school post-B.S. I dont mind 45-50 hour work weeks. I dont mind surgery. I was thinking whether you guys thought it'd be right for me?

Also, for Podiatry, what entrance test do you think I should take? Mcat? OAT? DAT? GRE? GMAT? I am not sure whats required. My GPA right now is about a 3.49 (should be 3.5+ after this sem). Would that be competative in the two schools I will apply to (Penn and NY schools). I only want to apply to these schools because like I said, I am engaged and do not want to be too far from home (Maryland, hence the MD in my name).

If anyone can give me advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Here I am, a sophmore Entrepreneurship Major (in a program that is ranked in the top 15 in that field) taking pre-med/opt/pod/dent classes and trying to decide what to do with my life. I know I want to enter the health profession and start my own practice. I am consider all possible health related fields (even Audiology, PT, and OT).
I am interested in Surgery, but I dont feel like I want to spend that much time in school (for med school).
Optometry seems to have its own issue on everything, especially with there being an excess of graduates (as stated in the OD forums).
Podiatry seems great. I am engaged, and want a family life, but I dont mind 6-7 years of school post-B.S. I dont mind 45-50 hour work weeks. I dont mind surgery. I was thinking whether you guys thought it'd be right for me?

Also, for Podiatry, what entrance test do you think I should take? Mcat? OAT? DAT? GRE? GMAT? I am not sure whats required. My GPA right now is about a 3.49 (should be 3.5+ after this sem). Would that be competative in the two schools I will apply to (Penn and NY schools). I only want to apply to these schools because like I said, I am engaged and do not want to be too far from home (Maryland, hence the MD in my name).

For NY and Temple the 3.5 GPA is fine and the MCAT is the test to take.

As for the 40-50 hour work week - that may not happen for quite some time after you finish your residency. Pod school requires way more than a 40-50 hour work week with classes and studying, then residency is up to 80 hours a week with on call hours. some programs do not follow the 80 hour work week so you may work more than that. if you plan to start your own business straight out of residency you will definitely put in more than 40-50 hours a week to get it started.

I think the 40-50 hour work week to make a decent or even great living is a pod thing of the past when re-imbursement was higher and insurance companies did not make you work so hard just to get paid.

You have a very good GPA and I would definitely take the MCAT. I took the MCAT and no other test. But I was pre-med before. Anywho, I think most of the pod schools are going to only take the MCAT only at some point. Your GPA is higher than mine and I got 5 invites for interviews. So you should be okay.

Make sure you shadow a pod so that you know what it all entails so that you are informed. Additionally, the schools require a LOR from a DPM for your application packet.

:luck: luck on your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
For NY and Temple the 3.5 GPA is fine and the MCAT is the test to take.

As for the 40-50 hour work week - that may not happen for quite some time after you finish your residency. Pod school requires way more than a 40-50 hour work week with classes and studying, then residency is up to 80 hours a week with on call hours. some programs do not follow the 80 hour work week so you may work more than that. if you plan to start your own business straight out of residency you will definitely put in more than 40-50 hours a week to get it started.

I think the 40-50 hour work week to make a decent or even great living is a pod thing of the past when re-imbursement was higher and insurance companies did not make you work so hard just to get paid.

As for 45-50 hours, I was talking about after I graduate/do residency. opening up a private practice will probably take about 60 hours starting off. But I am sure I can lower it down to better hours as time progresses.

My biggest concern is having a family life. During residency and Pod school, is it to idealistic/optimistic for me to expect to spend a decent amount time with my fiance/wife?

Also, in regards to taking the MCAT, what score should I be aiming for? I know med schools require 30+, DO schools require 25+, what about Pod schools?

Thanks for the help guys.

My gf got accepted in the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine , she told me that the the minimum acceptable MCAT score is 19, they also accept scores of DAT, PCAT, AND OAT...she told me once that one of her friend got 15 on her DAT and also got accepted ,but maybe because she have a solide gpa , I believe it was 3.5 or 3.6 I cant recall.
hope that helped :D :cool:

As for 45-50 hours, I was talking about after I graduate/do residency. opening up a private practice will probably take about 60 hours starting off. But I am sure I can lower it down to better hours as time progresses.

My biggest concern is having a family life. During residency and Pod school, is it to idealistic/optimistic for me to expect to spend a decent amount time with my fiance/wife?

Also, in regards to taking the MCAT, what score should I be aiming for? I know med schools require 30+, DO schools require 25+, what about Pod schools?

Thanks for the help guys.

It really depends on the school. An MCAT score of 20 will get you into most of the schools, but the average MCAT at the more selective schools are higher. DMU is found on the higher end of things. The average MCAT for next years class is 24. They have a goal to bring that up to an average MCAT of 25. Hope that helps.