1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

General Admissions & OTCAS Bay Path University Fall 2018 Applicants

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by fsmorez, Jan 29, 2018.

1. acc3256

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Did anyone happen to ask about what day classes start? Maggie's email said "Classes begin at the end of July 2018" but I checked the academic calendar for 2018-2019 MOT and it says that first day of classes is August 27th. It won't let me post a link to it but it's online.

#351 acc3256, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sbxx

MDApps:
    Occupational Therapy Student
    I think classes start July 30 because if you look up the classes from july/august 2018 its from July 30-August 17th. But we will get more information during or after accepted students day

OTcoug likes this.
  4. wannaBanOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I got taken off the waitlist today and accepted my spot immediately!!!! I am BEYOND excited! Can’t wait to meet everyone accepted and wishing the best of luck to those still on the waitlist!

5. OTcoug

Yup I emailed Maggie yesterday asking when the first day of class is. She confirmed that we start July 30th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

acc3256 and sbxx like this.
  6. Jo215OT

Occupational Therapy Student, Occupational Therapist
    Congrats!!!

wannaBanOT likes this.
  7. Massapp22

Just got taken off the waitlist today as well!!! So excited to join Bay Path 2018!!

Raec229, wannaBanOT, TyTr88 and 5 others like this.
  8. sbxx

MDApps:
    CONGRATS EVERYONE!!! So excited to meet you all

uw_dawg and wannaBanOT like this.
  9. wannaBanOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Hey guys! I decided since no one started a Class of 2020 facebook group yet that I would just do it! Feel free to PM me your names and/or email addresses so that I can start and add you to the group! (wont let me create the group without adding at least one person)

Raec229 and fayettevillenc like this.
  10. wannaBanOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Ok so the group is created! It’s just called “bay path mot class of 2020” so request it when you get a chance!

sbxx likes this.
  11. Massapp22

Can we use behavioral (Psych based) stats for the requirement? It says i didn’t complete the prerequisite......

12. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Hey.. so I had to go through this with Bay Path when I got my accepatance too. Maggie said anyone who doesn’t take a math stats class has this marker come up for them. Just send in the course description and syllabus for the director to approve and you should be okay.

13. Massapp22

Thank you!

Babybluentexas likes this.
  14. Jo215OT

Has anyone else been accepted of the waitlist !? Hopefully they make more calls soon !.

15. dcamcord

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I was just accepted off the waitlist about two hours ago!

acc3256 and TyTr88 like this.
  16. Jo215OT

Omg congrats !!

dcamcord likes this.
  17. fayettevillenc

2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    I got accepted off the wait-list last week! Super excited! Still weighing some options but I accepted to give myself some more time. Have offers from Oxford Brookes and University of Essex in the UK.

18. OTNOTTOBE

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Do not waste your time, money or energy to enter this program. It has been an awful experience and is not individualized at all. No support such as tutoring or attention from professors is available. WAY too many students, 140 and not enough room on the campus. If you can get into a better school and really want to learn the most and get the most out of a program, choose another school. Please, trust me on this.

dcamcord and Babybluentexas like this.
  19. TyTr88

Could you elaborate more on this? Are you or were you a student in the program?

20. sbxx

MDApps:
    First of all, it accredited by ACOTE and it doesn't matter where you go. Jobs only care if you pass the NBCOT exam and you are license in the state. As a COTA, I learned the most from my fieldwork.

21. OTNOTTOBE

I have been in the program for about a year now. They are not clear about assignments, it's very disorganized and there isn't a lot of support within the program. They accept so many students because they know many will fail out. Trust me, it's all about money around here and not quality of education.

22. OTNOTTOBE

It does matter. You want to go to a good school, not a crappy one for all the money you'll be spending. They want to offer minimal supports and expect you to maintain no less than an 83 in the program. Many people fail out and that's intentional since they make so much money. There's many other schools out there that are smaller and much more individualized that I wish I would've considered. I will say the area is very quaint and safe.

uw_dawg and Babybluentexas like this.
  23. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy

This is not the first student who said the exact same thing. I had another one reach out and said 5 of her graduate friends could not pass the NBCOT after attending here. They also said they were wildly underprepared for fieldwork, and even walked out of their graduation ceremony. Same exact story.. all about the $$$$

24. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    However, I had someone else say they did recently pass as well, but they were a transfer student.

25. OTNOTTOBE

Yes, be very careful with attending this school. I know it can be tempting but if you really want to be a good OT, this is not the program that is going to prepare you.

uw_dawg and Babybluentexas like this.
  26. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy

This is why I moved to a 34 student program who told us in our interviews that they were not trying to weed us out in grad school. Plus the communication level is night and day... i can’t believe how much i didn’t know about bay paths program until I got accepted by my other one.

fsmorez and uw_dawg like this.
  27. OTNOTTOBE

You're making the right choice. Others who got accepted need to know what they're getting themselves into. I wish I had known. Best of luck in your OT program!

28. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Thank you for being a voice of reason and not hiding in the shadows.

Really sorry you have to stick it out here.

uw_dawg and OTNOTTOBE like this.
  29. coastal18

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    WOW. Came here to say the exact same thing. I have also been in this program for about a year now and am completely disappointed in the quality of education that I am receiving.

There are a few good professors, but the rest are total trash. Our anatomy professor last semester didn't even start until halfway through September (because they hired her so last minute, and she still had to give her old job a 2 weeks notice!) Administration does not care about their students. The 83 pass mark is a money maker for sure (If you fail the class with a 80-82.9 you can pay to take the course again). They accept way too many students and are unable to offer a quality education. It is very unorganized in terms of classes, assignments, and course sections. I feel completely terrified to start my FW IIs.

Not trying to discourage anyone that wants to go here....there are benefits, like it being a condensed 2 year program (but on the other hand, they rush you through learning some really important stuff..so keep that in mind). Also, you CAN make it through the program and pass the NBCOT and get a job and figure it out as you go (although Bay Path does have the lowest NBCOT pass rate in the state). I'm just saying, if you were accepted to other programs and are on the fence, I would not go to Bay Path. I truly regret attending this program.

Sorry to rain on anyones parade. I know how stressful it is applying to OT school and deciding where to go (if you even have the luxury of being accepted to more than 1 program). Just know that if you want to attend Bay Path, be prepared for extensive self learning, and to be limited in terms of hands on practice. If anyone has further questions about the program specifically, feel free to DM me.

Raec229, fsmorez and Babybluentexas like this.
  30. OTNOTTOBE

What are you planning to do? Do you think it's worth staying in the program even hearing all these terrible things once fieldwork starts and passing the NBCOT?

31. coastal18

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I’m not planning on transferring at this point.. it’s too late in the game for me, and I don’t really want to uproot my life and move somewhere new again. I’m just basically going to suck it up and hope for the best. I’ve already accepted that studying for the NBCOT is going to consume my life for a few months haha. What about you?

32. OTNOTTOBE

Yeah, it's hard to say what the right thing to do is. It also depends on how much debt you're in. I'm realizing that's different for everybody based on supports, etc.

33. sbxx

MDApps:
    In my OTA, it was accelerated too, and I didn't have the greatest professors and I had to teach my self a lot but I think it helped me to become a better therapist. Trust me you guys no more then you think. And yes FW II is scary but its a great place to learn and grow and ask questions. And don't worry about the NBCOT exam you will pass just study the NBCOT practice exam books and you will be fine. Tip for studying for the NBCOT you have to learn how NBCOT thinks not what you think is the right answer.

#382 sbxx, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    TyTr88 likes this.
  34. fsmorez

Thank you for bringing this to light as a current student. This was originally my top choice but I was pretty worried about how accelerated the program was and if I would even be prepared to hit with everything so fast. I was waitlisted here and was later accepted and committed to another program with only 18 seats. It may be a longer program but I feel like I will be more prepared in the long run and won't feel so overwhelmed.

Babybluentexas and OTNOTTOBE like this.
  35. acc3256

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Me too. After hearing this from multiple people, I've reconsidered and ultimately decided on another program. It's too bad. I was so excited!

Babybluentexas and fsmorez like this.
  36. fsmorez

Me too! Knowing me as a person, I wouldn't do well under the level of acceleration that Bay Path offers. However, that's just me. Some people may not mind it! If you don't mind me asking, where did you commit to?

37. acc3256

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Salem State University. My cohort is so small, less than 20. It's four years, part time in the evening, which is a little annoying but now I don't have to leave my job, which I was really upset about doing. I think I'll be able to absorb everything a little better without feeling so rushed. The OT that I work with is also in contact with the school so I might be able to request her for fieldwork. It's just a better fit for me and I'll be close to friends and family.

I was also accepted to AIC and MCPHS. I got an email from MCPHS that said they were now officially accredited... which complicates things for me even more. I'm glad its accredited but I'm not sure that I want to go to a school that has such a new program. So many decisions to make!!

fsmorez and Babybluentexas like this.
  38. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    The thought of 140 people trying to share a lab ran me off.

The school I’m going to has open lab after hours which I only have to share with 30 other people now.

39. fsmorez

Awesome!!! My program has only 18 students so we're on the smaller side too! I think it's just nicer that way and I feel like I'd learn the most out of that format instead of Bay Path's

40. coastal18

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    To be fair, our 140 student cohort was divided into like 10 sections, so my labs never have more than 15 students in it. And we have typically open labs with tutors before big exams/practicals.

41. Babybluentexas

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I meant during non scheduled class times.

42. acc3256

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I'm going to PM you since this is about SSU and not BPU :)

43. Rjhnsn41

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Has anyone else been taken off the waiting list ??

44. Raec229

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    i did. did you?

45. kcrom18

Hey guys, anymore information on the MOT program at Bay Path University? I applied to the track 2 program and wanted more opinions on students that are applying or have attended! :) thanks!

46. OTkj

Same here! I applied for the August 2019 program and would like to hear some student opinions :)

47. kcrom18

Which track are you applying to?

48. OTkj

Track 2

49. kcrom18

Awesome. Are you a COTA or PTA?