Baylor CM 2008 Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to you guys, especially those of you who are coming from out-of-state undergrads (like me). Actually, good luck to all of you. This was a fantastic school, and as my time here comes to a close, I cannot think of anywhere else that I'd rather have been, not even all-mighty Johns Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you guys, especially those of you who are coming from out-of-state undergrads (like me). Actually, good luck to all of you. This was a fantastic school, and as my time hear comes to a close, I cannot think of anywhere else that I'd rather have been, not even all-mighty Johns Hopkins.

Where are you headed off to?

Vanderbilt. Hope to be back here for cardiology though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt. Hope to be back here for cardiology though...

Hey, so I got EXTREMELY bored and decided to read the old BCM c/o 2008 thread. Looking back, do you think there's anything you would have done differently? Was the med school right to switch back to the old grading system?

Do I think there's anything I would have done differently? I was considering Baylor against Duke and Penn, and I had a HORRIBLE interview experience at Duke (neither my faculty nor student interviewer nor any of the tour guides seemed all that jazzed about Duke, even when I asked them point-blank what was special about Duke). Had I not gotten into Baylor, I probably would have gone to Penn - but Baylor and Penn have the same curriculum, Baylor is cheaper and... there are other reasons that are less admirable why I wouldn't want to go to Penn (let's just say it has to do with intra-Ivy snobbery). My undergrad alma mater (Columbia) would have been a lot higher on my list had its campus been on the Morningside campus and not in ghetto-ville. But throughout my interview there I kept picturing myself getting mugged if I dared leave the hospital after sunset.

I wish the school hadn't gone back to the old grading system from Pass/Fail for the first semester. That's the semester I had the worst grades, so for me, at least, it was essentially Pass/Fail - I certainly wasn't concerned with Honors, and I can say with near-certainty that most of my classmates weren't, either. In addition, the content of the first semester is RARELY tested on any kind of national standardized exam in real depth, so it probably doesn't help on those kinds of scores. That said, like I said before, I think most people will approach that first semester as Pass/Fail, and it should only matter to you if you have your heart set on doing Plastic Surgery or Dermatology at UCLA or UCSD (trying to think of nicest locations here). And even if you do want to be a dermatologist, we had people in our class this year match to Derm at Mt. Sinai who definitely didn't honor the 1st semester... I still think it was a mistake, and would argue they need to get rid of it, if for no other reason than it hasn't improved anything and it only stresses young medical students out, but I definitely don't think it's a reason to be stressed about your first year here or consider going elsewhere, if that makes any sense.

I just received an e-mail from the admissions office that the school is still making offers of acceptance and the final waitlist will be prepared by 4/18/2008...

Good luck everyone! Baylor is awesome school!

I just received an e-mail from the admissions office that the school is still making offers of acceptance and the final waitlist will be prepared by 4/18/2008...

Good luck everyone! Baylor is awesome school!

Thanks for the update

Yep, I just got the e-mail too. Here's what it said:

Just a short note to let you know that we continue to make offers of acceptance. Our final waitlist will be prepared by April 18, 2008.

Best wishes,

Lloyd H. Michael, M.S., Ph.D., F.A.H.A.
Sr. Associate Dean for Admissions

Cool, I got the e-mail too... does that mean that they can still call UNTIL April 18th? Just wondering... :p

Cool, I got the e-mail too... does that mean that they can still call UNTIL April 18th? Just wondering... :p

They will always call. Dr. Greenberg enjoys calling people too much.

Yeah I eventually got the email. It can be alittle slow getting to me sometimes because the email address they have for me fowards to another email. I really:love: Baylor and wish lots of:luck::luck::luck:to everyone else still waiting to hear from them too.

I got the email too. Do you think it was just a form e-mail sent to everyone not accepted yet? Arrgh... I hate the false hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the email too. Do you think it was just a form e-mail sent to everyone not accepted yet? Arrgh... I hate the false hope.

I think that maybe the admissions office had been receiving many phone calls so this was a way for them inform everyone.

Well I called back again today and I think I was a bit more clever about what I asked. So with my ninja skills, I was able to glean this information: There are still spots. They actually need your AMCAS number or name to get your information, they don't just look at your phone. They plan on making decisions on everyone by the end of march. Finally, they told me that if I do not here by the end of March, give them a call on April 1st and they will be able to tell me my status.

anybody call and see if they would actually give us status updates? I know the emails went out saying by april 18th things would be clarified but I was just wondering...

They said that they're still making offers through April 18th, not just April 1st as they had originally planned. Then you get waitlisted. So, how many offers do you think are still left to be handed out before the 18th? 20? 10? Does anyone know if they made their offers through April 18th last year too, or was it just until the end of March?

They said that they're still making offers through April 18th, not just April 1st as they had originally planned. Then you get waitlisted. So, how many offers do you think are still left to be handed out before the 18th? 20? 10? Does anyone know if they made their offers through April 18th last year too, or was it just until the end of March?

Well, one thing I do know is that accepted students can't get their $300 deposit back after April 15th if they paid it already.

anybody call and see if they would actually give us status updates? I know the emails went out saying by april 18th things would be clarified but I was just wondering...

I called and they wouldn't tell me any more info than the what the e-mail said over the phone. So no dice there. It looks like more waiting for us :/.

OMG I just got the call and I'm in! Out-of-state-ers, there is hope!

Good luck to everyone!:luck:

Ahh congrats.. that's the second person on SDN that interviewed on the 8th accepted... I'm starting to lose hope for the rest of us :(

Ahh congrats.. that's the second person on SDN that interviewed on the 8th accepted... I'm starting to lose hope for the rest of us :(

Yeah, no joke. I interviewed in November, and I figure if they haven't accepted me by now, it's not going to happen. :(

Don't give up hope just yet (or I'll get hopless too lol). I've heard of people being accepted a long time after they were interviewed.

I have pretty much given up hope...I just wish it will be a waitlist and not a rejection.

Yeah, no joke. I interviewed in November, and I figure if they haven't accepted me by now, it's not going to happen. :(

My interview was in the first week of October which was then followed by 6 months of silence and counting...

me too! Over six months of waiting. At least, when we go through the match for residency, we will find out all at once.

I interviewed way back in Nov and just got the call yesterday! Everyone keep your hopes up!

I just called Baylor and here's some more info that I gleaned. First of all, some rejection letters were sent out "over a month ago". Secondly, if we haven't been rejected allready, we're still in the running for an admissions call or a waitlist. Most people who are still in the running and are not accepted end up being waitlisted. Finally, there is no explicit ranking of the waitlist (at least as far as what they will tell us).

I just called Baylor and here's some more info that I gleaned. First of all, some rejection letters were sent out "over a month ago". Secondly, if we haven't been rejected allready, we're still in the running for an admissions call or a waitlist. Most people who are still in the running and are not accepted end up being waitlisted. Finally, there is not explicit ranking of the waitlist (at least as far as what they will tell us).

Thanks, SStorm! I would die if I was accepted at this point, but it's nice to have not been outright rejected, yet.

I just called Baylor and here's some more info that I gleaned. First of all, some rejection letters were sent out "over a month ago". Secondly, if we haven't been rejected allready, we're still in the running for an admissions call or a waitlist. Most people who are still in the running and are not accepted end up being waitlisted. Finally, there is no explicit ranking of the waitlist (at least as far as what they will tell us).

I know that the rejections that they sent out over a month ago were to those that applied to baylor but never got an interview...I havent heard of anyone that interviewed getting rejected yet...I suppose those rejections will be going out around the 18th or so

I know that the rejections that they sent out over a month ago were to those that applied to baylor but never got an interview...I havent heard of anyone that interviewed getting rejected yet...I suppose those rejections will be going out around the 18th or so

Well that's great. From this and what the admissions lady told me, it sounds as if we interview, we either get accepted or waitlisted. Which implies that the waitlist pool will be huge...

still waiting here too...I forget, does anyone remember when Baylor starts classes? All I remember was that it was early.

Well that's great. From this and what the admissions lady told me, it sounds as if we interview, we either get accepted or waitlisted. Which implies that the waitlist pool will be huge...

I know it sucks I doubt that I am gonna get an outright acceptance and either land up on the waitlist or get rejected. Luckily I was fortunate to have acceptances to other places so I cant complain too much.

I know it sucks I doubt that I am gonna get an outright acceptance and either land up on the waitlist or get rejected. Luckily I was fortunate to have acceptances to other places so I cant complain too much.

I feel ya; I'm in the same situation as you.

Good luck to all of you guys!:luck::luck::luck:

I am planning on withdrawing my offer to Baylor (tough choice, hence still "planning).

Probably going to come down to UTSW, Emory, and Pitt tho. Anyone have any ideas?

Good luck to all of you guys!:luck::luck::luck:

I am planning on withdrawing my offer to Baylor (tough choice, hence still "planning).

Probably going to come down to UTSW, Emory, and Pitt tho. Anyone have any ideas?

Haha thanks for opening a spot so people like me can get in! :) I hear UTSW offers a great overall education and Pitt is great for research. Dunno much about Emory though..

A third year at Baylor told me the school doesn't take care of you as a student...he mentioned being called about setting up new rotations the day before they start and other instances of the school not "babying" students. Is this just one student's rant or is this true at Baylor?

Haha thanks for opening a spot so people like me can get in! :) I hear UTSW offers a great overall education and Pitt is great for research. Dunno much about Emory though..

A third year at Baylor told me the school doesn't take care of you as a student...he mentioned being called about setting up new rotations the day before they start and other instances of the school not "babying" students. Is this just one student's rant or is this true at Baylor?

Haha that sounds like neglect instead of "not babying". I actually heard something opposite. While it's not fair to call it "babying", I've heard some third years talk about how they don't take calls most of the time and don't feel like they're as prepared as they could be for intern year. This is one of the reasons I'm looking at Emory and UTSW over Baylor (because of training at Parkland and Grady Hospitals). But I'm sure, it's nothing that can't be overcome!

Haha that sounds like neglect instead of "not babying". I actually heard something opposite. While it's not fair to call it "babying", I've heard some third years talk about how they don't take calls most of the time and don't feel like they're as prepared as they could be for intern year. This is one of the reasons I'm looking at Emory and UTSW over Baylor (because of training at Parkland and Grady Hospitals). But I'm sure, it's nothing that can't be overcome!
hmmm interesting...I guess it's not so much "babying" as it is "taking care of the logistics.."

I can't say much about Parkland or Grady hospitals but I did hear that if you do a rotation at Ben Taub you're basically counted on to do a whole lot of work independently since they see so many patients. Dunno if that's a good way to start out but the students say it really makes you learn fast. :p

that's kind of the opposite of what posters said in the Baylor allo thread. most were 4th years too.

the gist of what's written there is essentially that SW works you to the bone and that Baylor is a lot more encouraging/less stressful. i think one guy even mentioned a friend he had that transferred to Baylor from UTSW. that was the friend's opinion of it as well. that UTSW is the "tough love" dad while Baylor is the pampering mother.

don't know how true it is, but that's what i read over there.

i do know that Ben Taub is serious business.

that's kind of the opposite of what posters said in the Baylor allo thread. most were 4th years too.

the gist of what's written there is essentially that SW works you to the bone and that Baylor is a lot more encouraging/less stressful. i think one guy even mentioned a friend he had that transferred to Baylor from UTSW. that was the friend's opinion of it as well. that UTSW is the "tough love" dad while Baylor is the pampering mother.

don't know how true it is, but that's what i read over there.

i do know that Ben Taub is serious business.

*caution: what I am about to tell you seems to be what most people forget*

Very very very very very few Baylor students have ever transferred to UTSW or vice versa during medical school. And it is a pointless rivalry. In fact, I am convinced that word of mouth actually breeds this stuff.

So I'd just like to recommend to you that you objectify things. Listen to facts. Be cautious about opinions.

Anyway, one thing I was pretty surprised to find out yesterday when Dr. Wagner came down to UT is that UTSW is one of the few schools that does call like residents do in your 3rd and 4th year. And students say it's painful. And they know it's painful. However, as the words of a 4th year med student there, he preferred to know what it'd be like during med school than as an intern when he has less oversight and culture shock from actually needing to work that long.

Regardless, you've got an awesome pick of schools in front of you. Pick one and be happy!!!

*caution: what I am about to tell you seems to be what most people forget*

Very very very very very few Baylor students have ever transferred to UTSW or vice versa during medical school. And it is a pointless rivalry. In fact, I am convinced that word of mouth actually breeds this stuff.

So I'd just like to recommend to you that you objectify things. Listen to facts. Be cautious about opinions.

Anyway, one thing I was pretty surprised to find out yesterday when Dr. Wagner came down to UT is that UTSW is one of the few schools that does call like residents do in your 3rd and 4th year. And students say it's painful. And they know it's painful. However, as the words of a 4th year med student there, he preferred to know what it'd be like during med school than as an intern when he has less oversight and culture shock from actually needing to work that long.

Regardless, you've got an awesome pick of schools in front of you. Pick one and be happy!!!

i wasn't legitimizing anything. just trying to synopsize (is that a word?) what was said in the other thread. all this is anecdotal. i just thought it might be useful to throw up a counterpoint as the poster presented the opinion of one 3rd year they'd met.

both schools are great. no doubt. you'll become an excellent doctor at either. i just didn't want the poster to only have that one viewpoint as a point of reference.