Baylor = Dallas Traffic??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelifter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, Baylor looks awesome with great tuition for out-of-staters. But just wondering about quality of life in Dallas as a poor dental student... Does this mean I'd have to suffer Dallas traffic 5 days a week? What do living expenses look like and is it relatively easy to find an apartment close to campus?

I'm trying to find out after all is said and done, would going to Baylor actually save me money. Plus if it took me an hour to commute each way, that would be 2 hours, 5 days/wk to figure into my day. I believe if I stayed in-state tuition & fees would be around 140k (no living expenses) while Baylor for out of state students would also be around 140k (excluding living/travel/insurance expense). Too bad there's not traffic info on ADEA's guide :p

Members don't see this ad.

So, Baylor looks awesome with great tuition for out-of-staters. But just wondering about quality of life in Dallas as a poor dental student... Does this mean I'd have to suffer Dallas traffic 5 days a week? What do living expenses look like and is it relatively easy to find an apartment close to campus?

I'm trying to find out after all is said and done, would going to Baylor actually save me money. Plus if it took me an hour to commute each way, that would be 2 hours, 5 days/wk to figure into my day. I believe if I stayed in-state tuition & fees would be around 140k (no living expenses) while Baylor for out of state students would also be around 140k (excluding living/travel/insurance expense). Too bad there's not traffic info on ADEA's guide :p
Beware of 75/I-30 between 7-9a and 4-6p. Good luck OOS.:)

This is a bizarrely specific question. There's lots of housing in downtown Dallas...it's a metroplex with millions of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you accepted ???already!!!

No, not accepted. Just trying to imagine out my day-to-day life in Dallas as opposed to a smaller city. If anyone going to Baylor could tell me what it's like to be a dental student - besides the school aspect of it - it would be really helpful. Or anyone living close to downtown Dallas.
It's difficult for me to grasp since I'm from a small (compared to Dallas) college town, and it's extremely easy for me to find a parking spot anywhere, and traffic is not a problem at all, it's easy for me to get around to get groceries, etc.

You're OOS? Do you have an interview yet? I'd wait for an acceptance before I thought about these things. I'm truly not saying this to be snarky, but it's nigh impossible to be admitted OOS to Texas schools. You might be wondering about nothing.

No, not accepted. Just trying to imagine out my day-to-day life in Dallas as opposed to a smaller city. If anyone going to Baylor could tell me what it's like to be a dental student - besides the school aspect of it - it would be really helpful. Or anyone living close to downtown Dallas.
It's difficult for me to grasp since I'm from a small (compared to Dallas) college town, and it's extremely easy for me to find a parking spot anywhere, and traffic is not a problem at all, it's easy for me to get around to get groceries, etc.
While you can avoid the traffic, the traffic doesn't avoid you. I remember a car ride around that area and there's a lot of construction and etc. Go on Craigslist there's plenty of info/insight concerning your concern. Keyword: Baylor in all housing. The quality of life there is contingent to: "You Don't Mess with Texas.";)

You're OOS? Do you have an interview yet? I'd wait for an acceptance before I thought about these things. I'm truly not saying this to be snarky, but it's nigh impossible to be admitted OOS to Texas schools. You might be wondering about nothing.
Not unless the OP is geographically located in the neighboring states, especially where dental school(s) are/is not in abundance. (e.g. NM)

Yes, I understand it is notoriously difficult for OOS to get into Texas... I'm from a neighboring state (Oklahoma), and from the advising office which keeps tabs on all students evaluated by the committee, it seems there are a few people who got into/attended Baylor over the years, though most chose in-state. I'm not saying I will be one of the accepted or interviewed, but I am trying to gain as much understanding as I can as early as I can.

Mostly I just like to plan way, way ahead, and I don't mind wondering about nothing :p Plus, maybe this will help me fantasize more realistically. ;)

Yes, I understand it is notoriously difficult for OOS to get into Texas... I'm from a neighboring state (Oklahoma), and from the advising office which keeps tabs on all students evaluated by the committee, it seems there are a few people who got into/attended Baylor over the years, though most chose in-state. I'm not saying I will be one of the accepted or interviewed, but I am trying to gain as much understanding as I can as early as I can.

Mostly I just like to plan way, way ahead, and I don't mind wondering about nothing :p Plus, maybe this will help me fantasize more realistically. ;)
Me too lifter, me too.

Good luck.:)