Baylor hybrid DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted a day earlier and haven’t heard anything lol

Hmmm! Just stay confident! I’m sure thins will come in time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone seen that Baylor is “a candidate for accreditation” does that mean we graduate from there and can’t sit for board exams? I’m so confused...

Has anyone seen that Baylor is “a candidate for accreditation” does that mean we graduate from there and can’t sit for board exams? I’m so confused...

By the time we are ready to take our boards the program should be accredited. The program currently has "Candidate for Accreditation" status, which means they can matriculate students and are on their way to full accreditation. Before the first cohort graduates the program will finish the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the time we are ready to take our boards the program should be accredited. The program currently has "Candidate for Accreditation" status, which means they can matriculate students and are on their way to full accreditation. Before the first cohort graduates the program will finish the process.

I see, I see... just a little concerning I suppose!

So........ on another note, perhaps a more personal note... how does everyone feel about being 150k in debt by the end of two years? Haha! (I’m panicking a bit)...

Submitted Application: 9/30
Interviewed: 10/6
Accepted: 10/10

Last edited:
What are your stats??

University: University of Utah
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.89
Pre-Req GPA: guessing a 3.75
GRE: 150 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: 800+ hours as an ortho aide, 21 hours shadowing in acute rehab center

Volunteer: Research assistant, continuous volunteering in various medical settings, Anatomy teaching assistant

University: University of Utah
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.89
Pre-Req GPA: guessing a 3.75
GRE: 150 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: 800+ hours as an ortho aide, 21 hours shadowing in acute rehab center

Volunteer: Research assistant, continuous volunteering in various medical settings, Anatomy teaching assistant
Those are great stats!!

I see, I see... just a little concerning I suppose!

So........ on another note, perhaps a more personal note... how does everyone feel about being 150k in debt by the end of two years? Haha! (I’m panicking a bit)...

I plan on applying for AMEDD scholarships (if they open the HPSP to PT students this year) and for student loan repayment - I put in a packet to commission as an Army Reserves Medical Service (Health Care Admin) Officer - and want to switch to Active Duty if possible once we graduate. My AMEDD recruiter said the loan repayment plan will cover $40,000 per year for a maximum of 120,000.

I’m in the National Guard currently so I qualify for a portion of 9/11 GI Bill and I’ll have drill pay but that’s only like $200 a month - without those programs I would be freaking out too- still kind of am because the $120,000 isn’t given - depends on the staffing needs of the VA or branch of service.

I made an Excel spreadsheet actually the night before I accepted my admittance because I was panicked - hence the research above ...

Tuition 16,600 x6 semesters
General 667 x6 semesters
APTA 99 1x a year for 2yrs
Textbooks etc 2,500 1x (spread out)
PT Equipment 180 1x
Total: $106,480.00 + travel expenses
BUT: How much do you think it will cost for travel expense to Dallas?
(I got an email saying they try to block off rooms for students for $50/night)

Loans I discovered:
Federal Loan Unsub 6.21% (20,500 per year MAX and based off financial need)
Perkins (not guaranteed)
Plus (not guaranteed, 7% interest)
Private Loans (to cover gap)

Anyone else trying to formulate a financial game plan? The upside is there are a lot more expensive programs out there and we will be done a year earlier which should help.

I plan on applying for AMEDD scholarships (if they open the HPSP to PT students this year) and for student loan repayment - I put in a packet to commission as an Army Reserves Medical Service (Health Care Admin) Officer - and want to switch to Active Duty if possible once we graduate. My AMEDD recruiter said the loan repayment plan will cover $40,000 per year for a maximum of 120,000.

I’m in the National Guard currently so I qualify for a portion of 9/11 GI Bill and I’ll have drill pay but that’s only like $200 a month - without those programs I would be freaking out too- still kind of am because the $120,000 isn’t given - depends on the staffing needs of the VA or branch of service.

I made an Excel spreadsheet actually the night before I accepted my admittance because I was panicked - hence the research above ...

General 667 x6 semesters
PT Equipment 180 1x

Loans I discovered:
Perkins (not guaranteed)

Anyone else trying to formulate a financial game plan? The upside is there are a lot more expensive programs out there and we will be done a year earlier which should help.

Well... at least you have somewhat of a plan. I personally have no experience with loans of any sort, so now that I am having to/had to make the decision to pay 100k MINIMUM for my education, im kinda freaking out...

My husband is in the air force so that will help as far as living expenses go, and THANKFULLY I am able to move wherever he may be (the biggest mountain I was struggling to climb was being apart), but, it’s still 120k.

I tried to calculate how much it would be a month post graduation and it was like 1200 or something crazy like that. It’s nerve wracking. How do you save for a house? Or even, how do you start a family paying that much a month?

Anyhow, that’s for replying. Feel free to private message me; if that is a thing with this site.

General 667 x6 semesters
PT Equipment 180 1x

Loans I discovered:
Perkins (not guaranteed)

PT is already covered by HPSP, theres someone in my wife's class that is using it now. I've thought about it, but I dont know how I feel about them assigning where I go after, I know how that game goes when I was in haha. But then again it is money. August of next year they are coming out with the gi bill "extension" so we'll see how much farther that can take me. It would be nice to be able to use my hazelwood act at a public school, but like you said its only 2 years and to be able to get this opportunity to become a PT is totally worth it.

I spoke with a medical recruiter earlier in the week and he said that the HPSP for PT was only with Army-Baylor. This false?

I spoke with a medical recruiter earlier in the week and he said that the HPSP for PT was only with Army-Baylor. This false?

That actually sounds true.

Members don't see this ad :)

False. Army-BaylorDPT students do not receive HPSP.

HPSP is for students attending civilian institutions. Army-Baylor Univ DPT students do not get charged tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
For those applying, words from the wise...

From someone in the 2019 class--my son: Firstly, he says that if he could do it over again, he would. Well worth it and an excellent education. He has had some difficulties, however; with handling stress and isolation. We are not a large family (with no one home during the day) and he has had to learn to study elsewhere--the library or at a coffee place to fight the neverending isolation, avoid burnout, and to have a structure in his life. Otherwise, there is absolutely none. He has time to see his girlfriend once a week and that's it. His friends have jobs or are in school. He has no time to socialize anyway. When he is not isolated in front of a computer, he is in a high-pressure situation with the immersions in Dallas. This time he is getting an Airbnb by himself. He has many friends in the program but there has been so much drama the last few times that it has added to his stress. He was losing sleep playing psychologist, worrying about the welfare of others, etc. The stress of the immersion classes is enough. When there are 100 stressed-out people in a program and when they are fairly young and when they get together in a new place, there's bound to be drama large and small. My son was able to steer clear but he was still a bystander.

So if you are in the immersion program or plan to, consider these words of advice. Make friends and keep to yourself too. The object is to graduate and be an upstanding member of the PT community. There is no shame in getting your own place and staying clear of the fray.

Reactions: 1 users

What they probably meant to say was HPSP isn't currently an option for non Army Baylor Students... The only tuition assistance at this time available to become a military PT is through attending the Army Baylor PT program itself which is covered 100% by the military. Hopefully they open up HPSP to DPT students soon- but they don't do it every year.

what was the interview like? what kinds of questions?
Hello everyone,

I got accepted into the Baylor program for the Jan 2019 start date. Has anyone else been accepted for this class? I am looking to move to the Dallas area and I am looking for housing recommendations or to connect with students that will be in my class.

To help answer some questions that people have. It took me about three weeks to get back an acceptance letter but if you are waiting for grades I am sure that it will take a bit longer.

My stats are below:
GRE
158 Verbal
149 Quantitative
4.0 Analytical

GPA
3.5 Cumulative
3.7 Prereq

Observation hours
300 at three different clinics but I am working at a PT clinic full time so I am accumulating a lot more.

Best of luck everyone!

Did anyone get an interview and not get into the program? I submitted my interview May 7th. I applied to the 2020 start date. So far I have seen that it has taken 4 days to three weeks to get a response. Did you get a phone call or an email response with a decision after submitting the interview? Thanks for your help. It is hard to wait.

Did anyone get an interview and not get into the program? I submitted my interview May 7th. I applied to the 2020 start date. So far I have seen that it has taken 4 days to three weeks to get a response. Did you get a phone call or an email response with a decision after submitting the interview? Thanks for your help. It is hard to wait.

Did you end up getting accepted? If so how long did it take to hear back from the program?

Hi y'all! I just heard about this program looking on these forums (probably since Baylor isn't accredited yet and not yet on the TPTA website) and I'm very intrigued about the hybrid program. I did look at the upcoming academic calendar and now all of the lab immersions are listed to be completed in Waco, rather than Dallas (bummer because I live in Dallas!). Does anyone know more information about this location change?

Those of you that have applied to Baylor, do you mind sharing your stats and if you were accepted? I am working on my application for the 2021 start. I'm concerned about my GRE.
GRE: 149V and 151Q.
GPA is 3.91 with a 4.0 pGPA.
I am also a PTA that having been practicing for 2.5 years. I do have 4 preqs I am currently enrolled in or taking this summer/fall.