Baylor Medical School put on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrK2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, it has just come to my attention that the prestigious Baylor Medical School as of yesterday after failing to fulfill some of the requirements of the LCME according to http://www.khou.com/news/national/265033351.html.

How will this affect its reputation? Do you think that this will affect the volume of its applications? Do you think people stymie people's decision to chose this school over other med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably was for something stupid like not having enough "study space" for med students.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor is a great school, and these are just minor "administrative" issues.

It'll destroy them, OP. They will turn into a nursing school by 2015 and award a DNP to all their current students.

Reactions: 16 users
Baylor is still an elite school. This will ultimately cause a blow to their reputation and their reputation to attract top students away from other top schools.

They were cited for stupid things:

"The citations included inadequate documentation of the workings of certain provisions of policies, such as tenure and the impact of environmental hazards to students; a need for better policies involving admissions committee conflicts of interest, timely reporting of grades and observation of students in clinical rotations; and a need for new processes providing midcourse feedback to students, annual formal surveys of graduates and a mechanism for faculty to contribute in decision making.

The letter also cited a number of problems with the curriculum committee, calling on Baylor to more clearly define its function, review process and information flow."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...g-body-places-Baylor-on-probation-5585791.php

Fatal blow. Expect them to seek COCA accreditation and drop to taking students with a 24 MCAT and 3.0 GPA within the year.

My bet is their application stats will probably increase since people will think, "OMG, this'll scare away other applicants and it's my chance to attend Baylor while their standards are lower!" and a ton of people that would normally write off applying will throw their apps in.

Reactions: 11 users
The nursing lobby will looove this.

A famous, reputed medical school that cannot even fulfill basic requirements, among those including students training and safety? Lol. Baylor pls.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they'll start taking undocumented students now :D
I'll at least have one med school to apply to.

It's surprisingly easy to be put on probation by the LCME. Both a good and a bad thing.

This isn't a big deal at all for the students. All of the issues were administrative and most of them have already been corrected or are in the process of being corrected. Even the generalized rules being listed on the letter from the LCME in that Houston Chronicle article make it sound worse than it is. A lot of the problems didn't stem from the administration not doing things properly but rather that they didn't properly document the things that they were doing.

That being said it will likely only impact the reputation to the extent that other schools will dissuade students from applying and cite the probation as the reason why they should not attend Baylor. The probation will be lifted before anyone who would be enrolling in the near future even think about applying to residency programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering the fact that other schools on probation have seen almost no effect from LCME probation (with the exception of incessant and annoying questions from incoming students), I very much doubt that LCME probation will have any effect on Baylor.

Reactions: 1 users
"Better policies for admissions committees in conflict of interest" So was Baylor caught admitting students with conflict of interest?

"Better policies for admissions committees in conflict of interest" So was Baylor caught admitting students with conflict of interest?

I don't think they were caught actually "doing" any of the things listed but rather they didn't have written policies in place to proactively prevent them or they weren't documented at least.

Baylor is on probation? Hang on while I withdraw my application... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
I guess I should withdraw my acceptance from that no-tier school and reapply to Baylor...:p

If it's dermoid, will you name it?

Can a school on probation still award degrees?
Epididymal but still has a name, and yes they can.

LCME needs to go after LECOM and LUCOM, especially the later one, not after Baylor.

LCME needs to go after LECOM and LUCOM, especially the later one, not after Baylor.
Absolutely nothing against DOs, but if the LCME accredited DO schools things would be very different.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I guess Baylor grads will still be able to be PAs in Missouri

Why do we have to play to the tune of these restrictive and useless bodies? Unbelievable

Well, I guess Baylor grads will still be able to be PAs in Missouri
Except they are still accredited and their grads will be able to be physicians in all 50 states lol

What other schools are on probation?

Considering the fact that other schools on probation have seen almost no effect from LCME probation (with the exception of incessant and annoying questions from incoming students), I very much doubt that LCME probation will have any effect on Baylor.

Baylor is still an elite school. This will ultimately cause a blow to their reputation and their reputation to attract top students away from other top schools.

They were cited for stupid things:

"The citations included inadequate documentation of the workings of certain provisions of policies, such as tenure and the impact of environmental hazards to students; a need for better policies involving admissions committee conflicts of interest, timely reporting of grades and observation of students in clinical rotations; and a need for new processes providing midcourse feedback to students, annual formal surveys of graduates and a mechanism for faculty to contribute in decision making.

The letter also cited a number of problems with the curriculum committee, calling on Baylor to more clearly define its function, review process and information flow."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...g-body-places-Baylor-on-probation-5585791.php

I wouldn't call the bolded above "stupid" or "minor administrative issues."

While it won't likely significantly affect their ability to recruit top students, It's never a good thing to be on probation and its a huge embarrassment for the school.

Remember, there are plenty of other T25 schools who have never been on probation and manage to pass LCME accreditation reviews with flying colors every time.

While it won't likely significantly affect their ability to recruit top students, It's never a good thing to be on probation and its a huge embarrassment for the school.

Remember, there are plenty of other T25 schools who have never been on probation and manage to pass LCME accreditation reviews with flying colors every time.
Not when your Step 1 score average is ridiculously high consistently and your tuition is ridiculously low.

Reactions: 3 users
I think once they were also put on probation for their integrated plastic surgery residency. They were not letting residents get enough rest and gave too many hours. Don't quote me, though.

I think once they were also put on probation for their integrated plastic surgery residency. They were not letting residents get enough rest and gave too many hours. Don't quote me, though.
If that's the case, that would be thru the ACGME (for residencies) not the LCME (med school).

They are pretty minor when you look at the things schools are usually cited for which involve the need to build new facilities or overhaul a curriculum. Fixing the first thing will make it better for students having that feedback and to the second part, they have a curriculum committee that meets and works (and makes a pretty dang good curriculum) but their function wasn't documented properly.

I will agree it is embarrassing for the school but most serious medical school applicants will look into the reasons why they were put on probation and know by the time they apply to residency the status will be lifted and they will still be at a top school - without probationary status.

Also talking with some of the 4th years from another Texas school that used to be on probation they said never once in a residency interview did it come up, so it is a big deal to us and to the medical school itself I am not sure residencies give a dang.

They are pretty minor when you look at the things schools are usually cited for which involve the need to build new facilities or overhaul a curriculum. Fixing the first thing will make it better for students having that feedback and to the second part, they have a curriculum committee that meets and works (and makes a pretty dang good curriculum) but their function wasn't documented properly.

I will agree it is embarrassing for the school but most serious medical school applicants will look into the reasons why they were put on probation and know by the time they apply to residency the status will be lifted and they will still be at a top school - without probationary status.

Also talking with some of the 4th years from another Texas school that used to be on probation they said never once in a residency interview did it come up, so it is a big deal to us and to the medical school itself I am not sure residencies give a dang.
Residencies know a lot of LCME citations are bull****. Unless they've removed accredidation where it affects students -i.e. San Juan Batista School of Medicine, 4th year students aren't really affected.

They should put Stanford on probation next for being Stanford.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol-huh?!

Stanford is notoriously elitist and pompous (if you don't believe me take a look at their secondary. it literally spews grandiosity at you). nothing will take them down a peg like a probation notice.

Stanford is notoriously elitist and pompous (if you don't believe me take a look at their secondary. it literally spews grandiosity at you). nothing will take them down a peg like a probation notice.
I don't have access to their secondary and I didn't see it in the school specific forum. Please enlighten me.

Yes! Let the proletarians rise and put the elitist bourgeoisie pigs in their place!

So you would decline an interview based on this?!

So you would decline an interview based on this?!

nah, i wouldn't decline at interview at stanford. that'd be ridiculous, especially since it's in my homestate and I already made my donation to them through application fees.