Baylor SOM: Please read past applicant and new applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focus

crazy!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The secondary essay question is:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you.

Is this one of those essay where if you don't write something in, it'll look bad? (like those essays on some secondaries that say "optional: Why are you interested in attending our school?"

Or is it one of those essays reserved for something else like coming from a disadvantage background or that you have a spouse attending Baylor?

Past applicants, were you offered an interview even when you didn't write something in? Thanks!

Everyone else: Please give me your opinion!!

- Focus

Members don't see this ad.

it's just an opportunity to share what is unique about you with them. If you have something to add to your app that didn't fit under any other category put it here.

I haven't filled this out yet, but I'm sure I can come up with something they don't already know.

I would definitely write something in for this essay. I'm sure you can come up with something else to add that may not have been fully addressed elsewhere on your AMCAS application or secondary -- talk about your background, a class, a volunteer experience, why the hell you want to move to Texas or study at the TMC. Whatever, just come up with something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Baylor about this asking if this essay was primarily for applicants who were disabled or grew up in a high-crime, high poverty area blah, blah. I didn't know if they just wanted what makes you unique or if this was geared to one specific type of circumstance. Anyhow Definately answer the question !!! The emailed response was something like "we at Baylor feel every applicant has a characteristic or experience which makes them unique...." So if you don't answer it, it might look as if you really don't have anything extra-special to contribute to the medical class.

Answer it and push the boat out- you want something juicy to talk about and have them remember you by. Good advice on this thread!! --Trek

Originally posted by Samoa
Personally, I think a wise person knows when to shut up,

True, but this isn't a time to be conservative and downplay stuff. Something i've found helping my pre-med office at my undergrad is how similar everyone seems to be on paper. Everyone did research, everyone got good grades, everyone has a rec for a volunteer coordinator, ad nauseum. Give 'em something that wakes them up. Even if it's "bad"- about problems and so on. If you work it correctly, it will go in your favor. But that's based on a small sample of me and my friends. YMMV. --Trek

Definitely answer the question. I used the essay to explain my interest and experience in health policy, etc. Also, I explained my ties to Texas (I am not yet a TX resident) and expressed that Baylor was my first choice school.

Basically, tell them what you are interested in and what you have done that reflects this. Try, also, to outline how your experience can benefit the Baylor and medical communities.

Good luck!

mma

Any idea if Baylor is big on immigrant / rural issues? I worked for 4 years in El Paso, and thought I'd write about my experiences being a "gringa" on the US-Mex border, learning Spanish, working with indigent immigrant families and being on the not-so-glamourous side of Texas (far from the posh glass builidings of Dallas and Houston). Naturally, I won't trash Houston (DUH!) but I think my time and experiences in one of the nation's most impoverished areas has truly influcenced my personal and professional development. Does this sound like a plausible beginning? Any input?

Sounds good. Try not to make it too Mother Theresa or you'll look a bit trite, but if you work it well, maybe with an anecdote, it could be a terrific essay. --Trek

Pinki,

I agree with Trek--it definitely sounds like it could be an excellent essay. Baylor is definitely big into people's speaking Spanish (a HUGE need at TMC) and definitely appreciative of off-the-beaten-path-although-medical experiences.

Good luck!

mma

Thanks Trek and MMA -
Don't worry, one Friday night out with me and NO ONE would confuse me with Mother Theresa!
Work hard play hard!