Baylor vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been set on going to Boston for the past few months but I recently was accepted to Baylor off the waitlist, which has made me reconsider. I'm assuming Baylor is a better school but I love the city of Boston much more than Houston. In terms of residency placements, is there that much of a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the thing...Baylor is much cheaper...It would be 53,000 a year vs. 70,000 a year at Boston

I would lean toward Baylor mostly based on price, and it's a great school.

One of the big factors in residency placements is not necessarily the school you attend but also your geographic location. Now, a lot of this is self-selection, but going to a school in Boston may help make connections to east coast (and Boston residencies) while the same can be said about Texas.

Is there anywhere you would like to end up? That could play more into your choice than the actual school itself.

With the low cost and higher level of all-around awesomeness (the great curriculum, great family feel, Texas Medical Center, etc.), I think Baylor is the winner here. Also, think of all the coldness and snow you will avoid. :)

I may be biased, 'cause that's where I'm heading.

I think you should follow your gut.

Boston.

With Baylor you would probably have more options geographically for matching than BU.
Also being from metro Boston IMO it gets old pretty fast. Its really expensive and all the amenities you would get there you could easily get in Houston for a fraction of the price. Baylor would give you better value and quality, you can't go wrong.

I've been set on going to Boston for the past few months but I recently was accepted to Baylor off the waitlist, which has made me reconsider. I'm assuming Baylor is a better school but I love the city of Boston much more than Houston. In terms of residency placements, is there that much of a difference?

I can comment on this as I had to make that very same decision just a few weeks ago. I picked Baylor. You surely got the letter from one of the BU deans...tuition will exceed $50k, and continues to rise. Cost of living in Boston is quite high as well.

I loved the city of Boston, but BU itself wasn't my cup of tea. Although Dr. Witzburg presented it really well. He's the coolest person I met on interview trail.

If you're out-of-state at Baylor you can purchase a condo and gain TX residency easily, which will bring your tuition/fees down to ~ $15k - a sweet deal! Baylor is ranked higher than BU and will not hold you back for residencies. I saw their match table when I visited 3 weeks ago - it is impressive. People go all over the country.

All in all, go with the one that gave you the right feel. Few people turn down JHU because they hate Baltimore. Even fewer go to Georgetown cause they like the city. Yes, the city/location is an important variable, but it should not be the determining factor.

Good luck with your decision. Both are great schools. If money is not an issue, you will have no regrets either way. :luck:

I'd KILL to get into BU! My dream school..BU BU BU!

Baylor is cheaper, higher ranked, better weather...unless you're dying to go to BU and hated Baylor, go with Baylor.

Also, BU is located in one of the grimiest areas of Boston, completely saturated with rude homeless people. It's soo easy to spot a medical student or doctor walking to work in that area becasue they look so out of place

you must not know much about the school then. BUSM and BMC (BU's primary teaching hospital) are right next to each other. BMC's primary patient population is underprivileged individuals- why? Because its basically the clinic of Boston. BUSM itself is very nice and has an affluent city feel to it, once you deviate away from BMC

Also, BU is located in one of the grimiest areas of Boston, completely saturated with rude homeless people. It's soo easy to spot a medical student or doctor walking to work in that area becasue they look so out of place

I gotta completely disagree with you. It's right in the South End. The population AT the hospital is underserved, but the area just to the west is gorgeous. Rich rich rich.

I can comment on this as I had to make that very same decision just a few weeks ago. I picked Baylor. You surely got the letter from one of the BU deans...tuition will exceed $50k, and continues to rise. Cost of living in Boston is quite high as well.

I loved the city of Boston, but BU itself wasn't my cup of tea. Although Dr. Witzburg presented it really well. He's the coolest person I met on interview trail.

If you're out-of-state at Baylor you can purchase a condo and gain TX residency easily, which will bring your tuition/fees down to ~ $15k - a sweet deal! Baylor is ranked higher than BU and will not hold you back for residencies. I saw their match table when I visited 3 weeks ago - it is impressive. People go all over the country.

All in all, go with the one that gave you the right feel. Few people turn down JHU because they hate Baltimore. Even fewer go to Georgetown cause they like the city. Yes, the city/location is an important variable, but it should not be the determining factor.

Good luck with your decision. Both are great schools. If money is not an issue, you will have no regrets either way. :luck:

Stole the words right outta my mouth.

Baylor hands down.

Having moved from Houston to Boston, I can speak to a few things about the city differences which would make me choose Houston. As for the schools themselves, lower cost and higher ranked would make me choose Baylor in a heartbeat.

Just some food for thought about Houston:
- lower cost of overall living (rent, groceries, etc.)
- great access to the TMC
- if you choose wisely near Baylor, you can live without a car. It would suck on weekends for going other places, but the area around the medical center is more walk friendly than the rest of Houston
- medical center butts up against the museum district and the Miller theatre - good places to go outside and study or catch a study break
- the weather. I'll take hot and humid any day over this miserable rain on and off for a month crap.
- the people are generally more polite and friendly. When I volunteered in TMC, it was awesome to see all the hospital staff interacting with cafe or starbucks employees at lunch time. I really miss watching someone make a joke with a barista - little things.

Just my .02 cents!

Having moved from Houston to Boston, I can speak to a few things about the city differences which would make me choose Houston. As for the schools themselves, lower cost and higher ranked would make me choose Baylor in a heartbeat.

Just some food for thought about Houston:
- lower cost of overall living (rent, groceries, etc.)
- great access to the TMC
- if you choose wisely near Baylor, you can live without a car. It would suck on weekends for going other places, but the area around the medical center is more walk friendly than the rest of Houston
- medical center butts up against the museum district and the Miller theatre - good places to go outside and study or catch a study break
- the weather. I'll take hot and humid any day over this miserable rain on and off for a month crap.
- the people are generally more polite and friendly. When I volunteered in TMC, it was awesome to see all the hospital staff interacting with cafe or starbucks employees at lunch time. I really miss watching someone make a joke with a barista - little things.

Just my .02 cents!

This is something that really stood out to me about my first visits to Houston. People are so friendly, welcoming, and hospitable! I live in SE Florida, which has primarily been populated by Northeast folks (my fam and I are from NJ), so I'm fairly familiar with the personalities of that region.