Baylor vs. UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starling314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros and cons to both? Which one should I go to? They cost about the same so that is not a determining factor. Baylor historically has a better name and is associated with the Texas Medical Center. Furthermore, Houston > Dallas for me personally.
However, I was really impressed by UT Southwestern on their interview day. With the building of new Parkland and an additional wing to Clements, I believe that UTSW has more potential for future growth than Baylor does (perhaps they may have a better name by the time I am applying for residencies?).
I am interested in going into some kind of surgical residency and I've heard that UTSW has better clinical training. Also, they have better residency rankings...input please? :)

Members don't see this ad.

As you know, they're both excellent schools, so neither would be a bad decision. In terms of prestige and perceived quality, they're truly neck & neck. And of course, both will get you where you want to be.

To me, it would come down to Houston vs. Dallas (having lived in both, I greatly prefer Houston) and how you perceive your own personal 'fit' at both schools. I do occasionally hear rumors that UTSW can be brutally competitive and at times a bit malignant, but also vehement defenses of the students as being very supportive and friendly. The rumor mill has Baylor being more nurturing overall and also as producing top STEP-scorers, but also rumors of administrative hospital-relationship difficulties, though I don't know how much (if any) this would impact students.

Bottom line -- They're both excellent 'head' choices, so I'd suggest you go with your 'heart'

Reactions: 1 users
UTSW is no longer brutal/cut throat since it has transitioned to a pass/fail system. I would even say Baylor has a more malignant culture these days.

Here are some differences between the schools.

Baylor starts MS1 earlier. UTSW has a 3 month summer after MS1, Baylor has a one month summer. UTSW also has a 3 month period in the curriculum for you to do research, global health, etc.

At Baylor you have to pass a cumulative end of basic science NBME practice STEP or you are forced to remediate for one month and delay starting clinicals. At UTSW you get a voucher for an end of basic science NBME practice STEP that you can take just to see how you're doing.

Baylor does not teach you MSK or derm during pre-clinicals. You will take these classes in addition to your rotations when you start MS1.5. You are still responsible for this material on your end of MS1.5 NBME though.

At Baylor you also have to pass an OSCE during MS1 and again during MS2. If you fail your OSCE during MS2 you have to delay starting clinicals by one month as you remediate and retake the OSCE. At UTSW if you fail the OSCE you take it again two weeks later and then move on with your life.

At UTSW you take STEP around the end of MS2. At Baylor you take STEP around the end of MS3. Baylor gives you 8 weeks for dedicated STEP study time and UTSW gives you 6, but if you schedule things correctly, you can also get 8. Baylor average STEP ~243 UTSW average STEP ~235.

At UTSW you get grades back instantly after finals. Baylor makes you wait. At Baylor you usually take 2-3 finals during a finals week. UTSW you take one final per week at most, but during first semester you may have consecutive weeks with finals.

Baylor does not have much on campus study space. UTSW has a lot of on campus study space.

At UTSW your preclinical preceptorship is with a group of six individuals and one physician. You meet for 1.5 hours per week. Most sessions are on campus or the surrounding hospitals. At Baylor your preceptorship is one on one and you may need to commute as far as Katy, Tx. Preceptors are assigned randomly. Preceptors get to determine when you meet. Some people end up commuting during rush hour. Some people get assigned ER docs that work night shifts. Time, not counting commute, will come to be around 2 hours per week.

In general Baylor’s administration is pretty poor. They’re the reason the school was put on probation. Probation did not affect students’ education. It’s just a reflection of the administration in terms of handling paperwork, etc.

As for Houston vs Dallas, make you own conclusions. Houston does have cheaper rent though.

Reactions: 6 users