BC/BE /moonlighting and credentialing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notanerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about Anesthesiology credentialing other specialties such as pediatrics and internal medicine are 3 years of residency but according to the ABIM ( medicine's board) they can sit for their boards after two years of training and therefore are technically board eligible after only 2 years of practice. With this they can moonlight outside of their residency's and get malpractice insurance covered bc they are technically board eligible. does anyone know if a similar situation exists in anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't you confusing the full unrestricted medical license with specialty board certification? AFAIK, ABIM does not allow you to take the certification exam without completing your training.

However, in many states, one can get a full medical license after 2 years of residency training, provided one has passed USMLE Step 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I am not confusing the two. the unrestricted license allows your to practice in a certain state. The board certification/board eligibility is really an insurance thing. Example, I have a colleague that is an internal medicine resident. After his first year of residency in a state that only required 1 year of training he got an unrestricted license. Looked for external moonlighting because his program didn't offer any and he could not get any work because he was not board certified or board eligible after only 1 year of training. he then finished his 2nd year of IM and was now considered board eligible, so he was insurable and able to externally moonlight as a 3rd year IM resident,really just sleeping at an LTAC for a grand a night. What I am noticing is that you can't really externally moonlight in any capacity as an anesthesiology resident even with a unrestricted because you can't get the malpractice insurance because your really not board eligible till you grad. a program.

Please find the ABIM quote that says that you are board eligible after your 2nd year. I could not.

Btw, if you have time to moonlight outside your residency, you might want to spend more time in it. Those 3 years never come back; don't waste your time moonlighting if it does not further your skills as an anesthesiologist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked over the sight and also could not find it, i must have been mistaken. So there is really no external moonlighting as a resident and you can only do it when you finish your residency program?

I do believe that there is a regulation that as a resident, you cannot work independently of supervision in your specialty. In other words, you cannot go act as an anesthesiologist until you have graduated. However, you can go moonlight as say, an hospitalist at a LTAC, or in an ED. Using the term moonlighting as "being paid to work by someone other than your primary employer". So, yes, our senior residents, those who have their full unrestricted license but who have not graduated, are sometimes allowed to work at the hopsital's long term care facility. They are not acting as anesthesiologists, but as hospitalists.