BCD (Baylor Dent) - dazed and confused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaylorLion

Playoffs - WIN OR GO HOME
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heh, if you replace the D with an S, it'd still apply (only college football fans got that joke).

So my friend and co-worker at the lab I'm working at this year (not for long though - 8 more days!) got rejected by BCD with a rejection letter and everything, and applied for the post-bacc program they offer with UNT. He's still in consideration for that, but recently got a letter from Baylor offering him a place in the alternate pool.

What the heck??? Can they do that? And does anyone have any idea of what his chances are (for getting in off the alternate list - how many people on average do they take, and how long does it/can it take to hear)? His GPA was a 3.85 in biochem from a small liberal arts college in Oklahoma City; DAT was a 18 or 19, I can't remember. He's smart and highly deserving - he'd be a great dentist, and I think he and his wife are wondering where to go from here and how to plan out the next year. So if anyone has any advice, inside knowledge, or general words of wisdom, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good luck with your own stuff, and to you future BCD 2008 people, congratulations from one of your peeps with the same name down south from y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like he is an out of state resident. When I went to interview at Baylor, they told me they took only three out of state residents per class and that they were interviewing 25-30 people for those spots. That does not include those from Arkansas because Baylor has some kind of deal with them.

Actually, he is in-state. Weird, huh? Dude has had a rough time - Baylor and UTSA both interviewed and rejected. UTH lost his application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The stats speak for themselves, I guess there was something missing from his application. No volunteer experience, experience in the dental field, leadership role. Less he violated parole, can't see why didn't get accepted :laugh: . Definetly apply again next year, and apply to out state schools as well.
The BCD post bac program sucks too. They rejected me based upon the fact that I didn't express enough interest in serving the underserved. Some BS. (minority program, not a minority) I really thought I had a chane being that one of the criteria is overcoming or experiencing hardship, One would think being DEAF would be strong consideration. SO BAYLORs ON My poop list, I don't think I am going to apply there next year. By any chance is he considered a minority.

UTH call Dr. Pierpont and Dr. Johnson, either call or email. Find out what they didn't like.

Baylor ????????

San Antonio- Call Dr. Denee Thomas, set up a conference call or go down to san Antonio to visit. She has available time in JUNE. Last time I talked to her.

Start looking at OUT State schools. NYU, MARQUETTE, BOSTON, CASE, many other private schools.

HD.

My buddy got waitlisted this year at Baylor with a 19 on his DAT(he did eventually get in). I think that is a sign that the DAT scores are very high this application cycle. I'd also be interested in when he applied, because the TX dental schools tend to run very early. If he stuck his application in around September or October, he might have weeded himself out on his own. As for UTH, they were late with everything between letters of interview and accpetance letters. My buddy that got into Baylor from the WL applied there and they screwed something up with his app., luckily he called them and they caught it because it was the only school that accepted him first round. Well, tell your friend he needs to reapply early this time around(May/June) or retake his DAT.

Yeah, I told him to retake the DAT. I think his app was lacking dental-specific experience, he's had very little. He already talked to Denee Thomas at UTSA, and the UTH story is one of those weird stories... they physically LOST his application.

BCD post-bacc rejected you even with the deafness??? You'd think that'd be an extenuating circumstance if there ever was one. Weird. He's from an underserved area, as is his wife, and 1st generation college student and stuff like that. But he's as white as white can be.

HD, I told him when we were both applying this year (we'd both just started here at the lab) that he should consider some out-of-state schools. His wife's family is in Oklahoma, and she's a teacher in the Dallas school district, so I think he was hesitant to uproot her and move cross-country. He said he'd apply everywhere this coming cycle, though...

My assumptions is that the program is looking for minorities only.

Interesting question, though is how does one gage someones willingness to serve in a poor community. If you ask me its like fortune telling. You can't tell me that someone who grew up poor is likely to serve the underserved population just becasue they experienced being poor.

would love anyones take on this matter?

HD, I agree that it's a minority-focused program as well. I told my buddy not to get too excited about it.

I think the belief is that someone who grew up in a more rural area (not necessarily growing up poor, but in a small-town type deal) is more likely to like that type of living. For example, I have three cousins whose dad is loaded who grew up in a small East Texas town (we're talking population 30,000, if that much) - now they hated living there and want to live in larger cities. But I could see that someone who grew up in that atmosphere is more likely to enjoy it than, say, someone who's grown up in New York or Chicago all their lives and cannot imagine living in a small town. Heck, most of those types think going to Dallas or Houston is going to the boondocks...

But I agree it's a stupid way of going about it. But I guess more reliable than asking people to discuss their interest.

I was flat out rejected by Baylor.

However, I was accepted first round at both UTSA and UTH

*shrugs*

-My stats were good
-extra currics were good
-letter of rec from a dentist
-shadowed multiple dentists/accumulated multiple hours

I am still puzzled as to why Baylor didn't accept me. I will admit, Baylor was my *pre-interview* first choice due to its location, therefore I was nervous during my interview.....but who isn't?? By far though, Baylor was my worst interview. I just didn't "click" with any of my interviewers like I did at San Antonio and Houston.

AFter my interviews, I liked UTSA the best.....just fit my personality. But still, Dallas was where I wanted to live to be closer to family and friends.......

ANywho, CANT wait to move to SA!@! I've got a few friends there who really enjoy the school, so can't wait!!

Nothing against Baylor though, I just don't think my personality fit in there, and maybe they could tell or read my vibes.....I don't know. But I think everything worked out for the best :thumbup: :)

critterbug said:
I was flat out rejected by Baylor.

However, I was accepted first round at both UTSA and UTH

*shrugs*

-My stats were good
-extra currics were good
-letter of rec from a dentist
-shadowed multiple dentists/accumulated multiple hours

I am still puzzled as to why Baylor didn't accept me. I will admit, Baylor was my *pre-interview* first choice due to its location, therefore I was nervous during my interview.....but who isn't?? By far though, Baylor was my worst interview. I just didn't "click" with any of my interviewers like I did at San Antonio and Houston.

AFter my interviews, I liked UTSA the best.....just fit my personality. But still, Dallas was where I wanted to live to be closer to family and friends.......

ANywho, CANT wait to move to SA!@! I've got a few friends there who really enjoy the school, so can't wait!!

Nothing against Baylor though, I just don't think my personality fit in there, and maybe they could tell or read my vibes.....I don't know. But I think everything worked out for the best :thumbup: :)
I agree, my worst interview by far was at Baylor. The other two were so much more relaxed and I think that is probably a better way to get to know someone in a 30 min space of time. When I'm nervous I'll say stuff that sounds great in my head, but dumb as hell when it hits my mouth. I'm surprised that Baylor flat out rejected you, though, I would have expected at least a waitlist.

Calculus1 said:
I agree, my worst interview by far was at Baylor. The other two were so much more relaxed and I think that is probably a better way to get to know someone in a 30 min space of time. When I'm nervous I'll say stuff that sounds great in my head, but dumb as hell when it hits my mouth. I'm surprised that Baylor flat out rejected you, though, I would have expected at least a waitlist.

Nope, not even a waitlist. I received my rejection letter recently, but I kinda knew that there wasn't any chance. Janet told me I didnt even make the waitlist after the second round, so I knew it was coming.

I just couldn't get over how stiff and serious the interviews were at Baylor. I think it kinda shocked me because I had interviewed at Houston a few weeks before, and the difference was like night and day!! It just caught me off guard I think.

Heck, at Houston I think I talked about golf for like 20 minutes!! (seemed like it anyway, my interviewer was an avid golfer ;) )

And at SA, we talked about the small town I grew up in. At both places the typical "interview questions" were asked, but the answers seemed to come out in a "conversational" flowing way.

But Baylor......the interviews were just.....well.....stiff. I'm sorry, but they were(at least for me anyway). Maybe it was just me, but they didn't seem to want to know anything about me as a person. Maybe it was just my interview though, and I don't want to scare anyone who is/or might be goin there.

I don't want to scare anyone either, it's not THAT bad, but if it's your second(in my case) or third, be prepared to be asked real questions. The SA interview we talked hockey, and then in Houston I explained how an ice skate is sharpened and how the blade works. Baylor asked me stuff like, "where do you see yourself in ten years, what's your worst flaw(that was easy, I don't have any;)), and some other questions which I wrote down and will go look for if anyone is interested. You're right, though, they were stiff and I noticed that the other interviewees were super nervous compared to the ones I had at the other 2 schools. It's cool, though, we're spoiled here in TX with 3 great schools and I'll see you at next year's dental olympics.

Calculus1 said:
It's cool, though, we're spoiled here in TX with 3 great schools and I'll see you at next year's dental olympics.

Fo sure!! :thumbup:

And when ya come down to SA for OBC, look me up. I'll be the one down on the river walk drinking up all the margarita supplies :cool:

Will do! You'll recognize me by the fact that I'm the drunk soldier doing the back stroke in between the ferry boats.:)

critterbug said:
But Baylor......the interviews were just.....well.....stiff. I'm sorry, but they were(at least for me anyway). Maybe it was just me, but they didn't seem to want to know anything about me as a person. Maybe it was just my interview though, and I don't want to scare anyone who is/or might be goin there.

Really??? I thought the interviews were pretty relaxed. The Dean's interview was the most challenging just because it was long and he kept asking a wide variety of things. I didn't feel like I was under pressure though. My other two interviews were very short and easy. In the first interview I just talked a couple of minutes about my extra curricular activities. All of the other interviewees thought it was relaxed, too.

And again, you are probably right. It was probably just my situation.

I will admit, my interview was just terrible. I think it was nerves combined with mismatch of personalities with a few of my interviewers. Who knows, but I do think my interview went badly.

However, I have heard stories about individuals coming out of interviews at Baylor crying. It wasn't that bad!!! But, maybe those stories are just urban legend *shrugs*.

But, to add to the confusion..... I have a friend who went to the same school as me, same GPA, and a little higher DAT across the board. He said that he also thought his interview went badly at Baylor, but was accepted first round at Baylor and flat out rejected at San Antonio :confused: So I really don't know, cuz this kid had some freakin awesome stats. The only thing I can think is that each school seemed to have its own personality. REALLY. And I think the TEXAS schools do a good job of only accepting those who *not only* have the stats, but who have the personality to fit into their school's philosophy, curriculum, and student body. And since almost everyone applying to dental school now in Texas has good stats, in my opinion, it *does* come down to the interview. Becasue really....is there THAT much difference in a 20-22 DAT and a 3.7-3.9 GPA? Not really.

So, it goes to show ya, nothin is guaranteed when it comes to this "game" they call the admissions process :laugh: Just do ya best and roll with the punches I suppose, all ya can do.