nopoint

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

There is a stats course at my college that is required by psych majors, I was wondering whether or not that course gets factored into my BCMP GPA. It's a math course, however it is listed under the psychology department.

Thanks.

OP
N

nopoint

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
That's what I figured. Thanks TexasPhysician.

TupacalipseT96

R U Still Down?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you wanted, you could list it as a Math course even if its in the psych department if you wanted it in your BCMP. If they don't agree they will move it out of your BCMP. And vice versa.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
From what I remember, this would not count in your BCMP. They go by whatever department lists the course.
It's actually based on course content, not department. A stats class is a math class regardless of the department, so list it with the other BCPM courses. My stats class was in the psych department too, and I listed it as math with no trouble.

fireandice98933

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
how about physiology classes? Is it just mainly the core classes that are counted or classes such as general physio, microbio, or immunology that are counted as well?

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
is the course ID something like "Psych 2XX" or is it "Math 2XX" or "Stat 2XX"? Because psychology is decidedly arts, but if it has a math or stat designation I would count it as BCMP.

since we're on the topic: I'm in a psychology course at my school that's offered by the faculty of science and it counts as science credit -- does this make it part of my BCMP even though it's "Psych 1XX"?

fireandice, I was told physiology is part of your BCMP. It's a biological sciences course so you can put it there, along with micro & immunology as well.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
is the course ID something like "Psych 2XX" or is it "Math 2XX" or "Stat 2XX"? Because psychology is decidedly arts, but if it has a math or stat designation I would count it as BCMP.

since we're on the topic: I'm in a psychology course at my school that's offered by the faculty of science and it counts as science credit -- does this make it part of my BCMP even though it's "Psych 1XX"?

fireandice, I was told physiology is part of your BCMP. It's a biological sciences course so you can put it there, along with micro & immunology as well.
As I stated previously, the determining factor is course content and not the department. AMCAS clearly states this. It wouldn't matter if the stats class was listed under dance, it would still count in your BCPM because it's stats. A psych class that is heavy on brain chemistry, drug effects on the brain etc. would also fall under your BCPM GPA even though psychology in general tends not to.

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
awesome.

another A+ for my BCMP =)

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
As I stated previously, the determining factor is course content and not the department. AMCAS clearly states this. It wouldn't matter if the stats class was listed under dance, it would still count in your BCPM because it's stats. A psych class that is heavy on brain chemistry, drug effects on the brain etc. would also fall under your BCPM GPA even though psychology in general tends not to.
That sweet.. so will my psychopharmacology class fall under BCPM?

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
That sweet.. so will my psychopharmacology class fall under BCPM?
both psyc and pharm are non-BCPM classes.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf

go to page 44 and on.

edit:
A psych class that is heavy on brain chemistry, drug effects on the brain etc. would also fall under your BCPM GPA even though psychology in general tends not to.
what saqrfaraj is referring to is a neuroscience type class which is considered biology. but psychopharm will probably be considered either behavioral (psychology) or health (pharmacology).

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student

Isoprop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Pharmacology is listed under Chemistry (and includes lab) at my university
the amcas manual explicitly states that "course classification is based entirely on the primary content of the course."

moreover, "pharmacology & pharmacy" is listed as an example course under "health sciences."

you may have a chance if the course was called "pharmaceutical chemistry" or something similar. but something like pharmacology is going under health sciences.

but if you want to try your luck, go ahead. the worst that can happen they re-assign the course classification, and your application is delayed.

Malayna

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
If stats counts as part of a year of math requirement, wouldn't you have to use it in your BCPM GPA?

tabletop

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
So would my my bioengineering classes count in BCPM? I mean, if you really think about it, it's just a nice integration of Biology, Physics, Math, and a bit of Chemistry.... ALL ON STEROIDS

But I did well in them, so I want to count it in BCPM :D

Isoprop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
If stats counts as part of a year of math requirement, wouldn't you have to use it in your BCPM GPA?
stats is specifically stated to count under math. so yes it is bcpm.

So would my my bioengineering classes count in BCPM? I mean, if you really think about it, it's just a nice integration of Biology, Physics, Math, and a bit of Chemistry.... ALL ON STEROIDS

But I did well in them, so I want to count it in BCPM :D
any course title with the word "engineering" probably fits under "ENGI" and won't count as bcpm. you could try your luck. again, the worst that can happen is the aamc reassigns the class as ao.

Starlingbruin

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm taking stats next semester. what is the highest level of math that is required for the pre-med reqs?

SiR99

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
Status
This is good to hear, but I took a behavioral neuroscience course that was listed under the psych department and the professor went crazy and turned this class into a brain/nervous systems neuroscience class with drug effects and mental disorders.

Now the only problem I was thinking is that, since its Psych 1XX, and it has the word Behavioral in it, how am i suppose to convicne AMCAS that this was bascially a neuroscience class, (I know the name in it might give it away, but im talking about if they want to be picky).

Can I have them contact the professor to verify the content of the course? It sucks to have gone through such a hard class just to get it listed under psych.

Last edited:

Isoprop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
This is good to hear, but I took a behavioral neuroscience course that was listed under the psych department and the professor went crazy and turned this class into a brain/nervous systems neuroscience class with drug effects and mental disorders.

Now the only problem I was thinking is that, since its Psych 1XX, and it has the word Behavioral in it, how am i suppose to convicne AMCAS that this was bascially a neuroscience class, (I know the name in it might give it away, but im talking about if they want to be picky).

Can I have them contact the professor to verify the content of the course? It sucks to have gone through such a hard class just to get it listed under psych.
what's the title of the course exactly? "behavioral neuroscience"? what does it say in the course description in the catalog.

sounds like you can stick it under biology and see if the folks running the amcas will change it. if they do change it to psyc, then i wouldn't try to fight it. it'll only delay your application.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

I'd definitely list it under your BCPM. I had a behavioral pharmacology course that sounds very much like what yours turned into (behavior and drug effects) and mine counted under BCPM with no problems.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Status
Medical Student
I took both Cognitive Psych and Psych of Human memory...they talk a lot about functional areas along with disorders, amnesia, etc...could I count these?

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I took both Cognitive Psych and Psych of Human memory...they talk a lot about functional areas along with disorders, amnesia, etc...could I count these?
Eh, that may be pushing it. Most psychology courses are going to touch upon some basic brain anatomy and psychological disorders, but that doesn't necessarily make them eligible for classification as BCPM. I don't know to what extent these courses covered "biological" aspects of psychology, but I'd use this simple device to determine whether you should try and swing it or not:

Was the class more than 50% biology?

If you'd say yes, put it under your BCPM. If you'd say no, don't.

DreamyKid

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Status
If you list a class as non-BCPM, amcas disagrees and changes it to BCPM. Does this process delay your application? Or is it just one day suddenly they change it but you're still good to go?

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
If you list a class as non-BCPM, amcas disagrees and changes it to BCPM. Does this process delay your application? Or is it just one day suddenly they change it but you're still good to go?
It won't delay your application to any appreciable extent. Your reviewer clicks their mouse a few extra times and you're good to go.