BCMP GPA versus cGPA

Started by deleted631385
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Right, and yours makes sense for you...I never said that your logic was flawed, only that "All of this hinges on the sGPA being viewed as the most important" and that I did not see sGPA that way!
I wonder why there isn't a "prereq GPA", seems like it'd be handy and save a lot of time vs looking through actual transcripts


sGPA is more important. End of discussion. Wingardian Leviosa.
Wingardium isn't it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder why there isn't a "prereq GPA", seems like it'd be handy and save a lot of time vs looking through actual transcripts



Wingardium isn't it?
It's called the MCAT 😛

Honestly, doing well in classes is all the same. It's not about the material covered...none of it is particularly difficult to comprehend. What matters is time management and focus. It'd be easy to rock a 4.0 in science courses if you took and bombed a bunch of 'fluff' to fill out your schedule. I like cGPA as a metric because it shows your overall performance - your ability to handle/balance everything at once, which is the hard part. That's the skill people need to develop in order to succeed: the ability to consistently perform well at all tasks on your plate, even the ones outside your field of interest.
 
we have very different experiences regarding effort/time making for 4.0 sGPA remember 😛
No, we haven't discussed this...and we won't, because I neither attempted to earn a 4.0 in undergrad nor succeeded in doing so.
I did do so in my postbacc, but that puts us so many variables apart it isn't worth the time trying to compare the two.

I do stand by the fact that GPA comes primarily from effort/time management, and for that I want to see how you perform on everything thrown at you, not just one subset. None of the concepts covered in the prereqs is particularly difficult to grasp (and if you do struggle with them, that'll show on the MCAT anyway). What GPA is good for is showing your ability to maintain focus and juggle commitments over the long term.
 
No, we haven't discussed this...and we won't, because I neither attempted to earn a 4.0 in undergrad nor succeeded in doing so.
I did do so in my postbacc, but that puts us so many variables apart it isn't worth the time trying to compare the two.

I do stand by the fact that GPA comes primarily from effort/time management, and for that I want to see how you perform on everything thrown at you, not just one subset. None of the concepts covered in the prereqs is particularly difficult to grasp (and if you do struggle with them, that'll show on the MCAT anyway). What GPA is good for is showing your ability to maintain focus and juggle commitments over the long term.
The concepts are very simple. The exams still need a curve though, and so they are made as puzzle-solving tests of reasoning that require an understanding of the concepts. Everyone had to put in the effort to know basic Ochem mechanistic principles for example, but doing well meant having flashes of insight on puzzles at a faster rate than most of the others, not really a function of time spent in review and practice. I think if you grabbed a random person and told them to clear their schedule because their life depended on being the high score on the next Ochem final, they're probably dead.
 
After reading the thread here, I was wondering if I entered a discussion on some obscure point of tax law, certainly nothing to do with applying to medical school.

Guys, it doesnt matter. I dare say I have a bit more admissions experience than most of you. The dynamics of every adcom and the focus of each member of the adcom varies widely. Trying to make a point on a hypothetical that will have no bearing on your admissions chances as it you cant change your grades, somehow present them in a different way, or anything else. So chill.

Court dimissed
Some things are for the exercise in itself you know, not the application. So...chill
 
The concepts are very simple. The exams still need a curve though, and so they are made as puzzle-solving tests of reasoning that require an understanding of the concepts. Everyone had to put in the effort to know basic Ochem mechanistic principles for example, but doing well meant having flashes of insight on puzzles at a faster rate than most of the others, not really a function of time spent in review and practice. I think if you grabbed a random person and told them to clear their schedule because their life depended on being the high score on the next Ochem final, they're probably dead.
:shrug: perhaps. I've always struggled with time management and not at all with content, so I am definitely biased in this discussion.
 
Yeah, I think you qualify as too smart to understand how best effort can be met with failure
Haha, thank you...but I have a feeling this cycle is going to be educational on that front 😛

In terms of the actual thread topic, I'd wager that adcoms' opinions are likely as nonhomogeneous as our own when it comes to the importance of the various GPAs. Which, in my mind, makes this discussion all the more valuable.