BCOM Foundations in Biomedical Science Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted! I have to make deposit in two days!
I have a few questions for those who were accepted:
1) which loan are you getting
2) is it safe near campus?
3) are you guys bringing laptop?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey buddy, congrats on the acceptanc, i wanted to know that the program does any grade replacement ? since its a do post-bacc or they dont ?

No grade replacement, this is essentially a graduate program with special linkage to its med school. Classes you'll be taking is with the med students.

edit: these classes will be recorded as your graduate GPA on your transcript

What is the class structuring like?
Is it only Physiology ? I read on the BCOM website that there are other subjects mixed into the Physiology course.
Also, what is the Anatomy course like?
What are the daily hours like?

Any details you could provide us with would be great.

Thx

Yup you are correct that it's a blend. You are pretty much taking relevant courses under each block which include, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Radiology, Developmental Biology/Embryology, Histology, etc. There is no one specific class for Anatomy or Physiology since the curriculum is integrated and spiral.

Hours range from day to day. Classes pretty much start at 8am daily and end times ranges from noon to 5pm, with 1-2 hr lunch break

Members don't see this ad :)
No grade replacement, this is essentially a graduate program with special linkage to its med school. Classes you'll be taking is with the med students.

edit: these classes will be recorded as your graduate GPA on your transcript

Yup you are correct that it's a blend. You are pretty much taking relevant courses under each block which include, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Radiology, Developmental Biology/Embryology, Histology, etc. There is no one specific class for Anatomy or Physiology since the curriculum is integrated and spiral.

Hours range from day to day. Classes pretty much start at 8am daily and end times ranges from noon to 5pm, with 1-2 hr lunch break

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it.

How hard do you feel it is maintaining the 87+ average they ask for?......assuming your on top of it and study a lot.

Are the exams the same as the DO students? What are the averages like for the FBS students? Do you feel there is enough time outside of class to study for the content inside of class?

Thank you for your time and response. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it.

How hard do you feel it is maintaining the 87+ average they ask for?......assuming your on top of it and study a lot.

Are the exams the same as the DO students? What are the averages like for the FBS students? Do you feel there is enough time outside of class to study for the content inside of class?

Thank you for your time and response. I really appreciate it.

It all depends on where you stand and what your educational background was like. For example, a person with a Psych or English major may struggle a little more than a Bio or Chem major and may need to put in extra time to learn the material. It also depends on how much your undergrad courses overlap with topics taught in med school. For example, if you've taken biochem or toxicology or intense graduate level physiology courses or even worked in the medical field for a while, you should be ok in some areas.

The exams are 90% similar to the DOs. The reason it is not exactly the same is because we are not sitting in their OMM/clinical classes and we have certain subtopics that are only applicable to Foundation students. Exam averages range from 70-80's depending on the difficulty of course content. Again, it all depends on the individual in terms of study time. For the most part, as someone who attends 100% of the lectures, I feel like they do give ample time for students to cover materials, but that doesn't mean there is enough time to goof around if you want amazing scores. It's all about effective time management.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the class structuring like?
Is it only Physiology ? I read on the BCOM website that there are other subjects mixed into the Physiology course.
Also, what is the Anatomy course like?
What are the daily hours like?

Any details you could provide us with would be great.

Thx
To tell you the truth there was very little structure up until about Late October. We did everything the DO's did besides OMM. We took tests in a separate room. Like straw said they were almost exactly the same as osteopaths'. Each test, there would be an individual at 9am and a 2-3 person collaborative at 12.

This school is new. This program was not ready to be a program IMO. There really weren't clear expectations. It's hard to explain but we were really left to fend for ourselves. For example the osteopaths could access all the books for free but we had to buy them. The osteopaths got emails immediately with important notes. We got them only after we asked for them. About 2 weeks ago 5-6 students were asked to withdraw due to failing grades. Keep in mind they had only been enrolled for two months, IMO that's not very much time to recover from a bad exam. Basically you have to go hard from day 1. Thoss students paid 15,420 for tuition, moved to las cruces and had to quit ....... After two months.... it was unbelievable and it kills me to think about these people and how bad they got screwed.

The academic calendar is now online... We did not have one until November. We did not have an accurate grading system until November. Our grading was 80% individual test 20% collaborative then curving based off the DO averages.

What I'm trying to say is.... If you have a good MCAT but can absolutely not repair your GPA think hard about applying. If you don't have the MCAT you won't have enough time to study for it and get good grades. It's literally impossible. Literally.

They have a guarantee,,, but IMO the only way to get it is to focus everything on te program... You Have to go to every class every meeting every session.... Everything. You have to make yourself standout amongst the DO students. Develop relationships with professors. I was printing 300-400 pages of power points per test, we had hundreds of assigned reading pages, and supplemental sources on top of everything. It's a full time job. No MCAT whatsoever. You have to avg 85% to get the guarantee. Keep in mind you will be taking the same MS1 curriculum, but they are on a pass fail.

Don't waste your money if you are looking for the easy way out. It will only hurt you more.

Out of ~40 students 5-6 WD, 1 WD from the course but stayed for the MCAT tutoring, a couple are interviewing at other DO schools, a couple interviewed at BCOM and got wait listed. I got accepted to UIW last friday. I really got lucky because although I had a 501 MCAT I wasn't going to avg. 85%. Others weren't and still aren't as fortunate. The word is that out of ~40 only 5 will matriculate. That's just the "word" but I wouldn't doubt it.

Your welcome

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
She said that everyone who gets above a 70% avg for the fall term is guaranteed an interview regardless of Mcat. If you are close like in my case.... Made a 122 on cars because the proctor took me out.... she forgot to check my pockets... Doiii ...then exceptions may be made

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
None of this is true this program was not as advertised

None of this is true this program was not as advertised

Wow. Thank you so much. Very nice of you to keep me posted.

What did you think of the difficulty level of the individual exams vs the difficulty level of the group collabo exams?

When you say 300 pages per test of ppts, how many slides per page?

Are the human phys and anatomy exams all one exam and grade?

Lastly, what was your daily schedule like from Monday-Friday?

Thank you for everything. And congrats on the UIW acceptance. I was actually thinking about the Biomed program there as well.

The collab portion is the exact same exam as the individual. This is to foster teamwork and is only supposed to help your grade. Your grades are based off 70-30, individual-collab. They made tweaks to the program as they went along (because we are the first year) in order to help us, not harm us. ^someone apparently never shows up other than exam days lol

I've never printed anything more than 50 pages this whole semester and I am averaging 90+%, just to show you the difference in performance levels between students.

Wow. Thank you so much. Very nice of you to keep me posted.

What did you think of the difficulty level of the individual exams vs the difficulty level of the group collabo exams?

When you say 300 pages per test of ppts, how many slides per page?

Are the human phys and anatomy exams all one exam and grade?

Lastly, what was your daily schedule like from Monday-Friday?

Thank you for everything. And congrats on the UIW acceptance. I was actually thinking about the Biomed program there as well.

The collab portion is the exact same exam as the individual. This is to foster teamwork and is only supposed to help your grade. Your grades are based off 70-30, individual-collab. They made tweaks to the program as they went along (because we are the first year) in order to help us, not harm us. ^someone apparently never shows up other than exam days lol

I've never printed anything more than 50 pages this whole semester and I am averaging 90+%, just to show you the difference in performance levels between students.

Hey now Easy. 70/30 must have changed it recently...? ^ someone might get into BCOM if they keep it up with a 90% avg.. But what about your MCAT? When will you take it? What happens if you don't matriculate and spend 32k in tuition? What about EC's????

This program is not established period. It is not worth 16k per semester... Unless you have a good MCAT and you need bail out option get a job and re-take your MCAT.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thank you to the both of you for your insight on this program. Both of you have been very helpful. Any additional information you would like to share with us would be greatly appreciated. Any information that any other party would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

For everyone attending hows the postbac coming along

Do we really need 3 LOR's from profs or can they be substituted with physician LOR's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying for this year? I might apply in May, after I receive the mcat score, because reading the above posts clearly states to do this program without having to take the mcat.

Also, how many students made it to this year BCOM's OMS1 from the post bacc? thanks

I want to apply but I only have two LoRs (one from a supervisor and one from a prof). Both my DO and other prof are falling through on their letters so I'm kinda getting screwed all around. How many times can I harass someone about a letter before it's too much? :/

I want to apply but I only have two LoRs (one from a supervisor and one from a prof). Both my DO and other prof are falling through on their letters so I'm kinda getting screwed all around. How many times can I harass someone about a letter before it's too much? :/

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation as well. But, I do have it all verified and stuff on AACOMAS so I try to apply for these postbaccs through that. Btw, I got an email back from the Dr.Minugh, and according to her, more than 50% of the students will enroll into their DO program this Aug, and they will have those stats on their site soon. Its a good news, I guess!

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation as well. But, I do have it all verified and stuff on AACOMAS so I try to apply for these postbaccs through that. Btw, I got an email back from the Dr.Minugh, and according to her, more than 50% of the students will enroll into their DO program this Aug, and they will have those stats on their site soon. Its a good news, I guess!

It's kind of insane that they require 4. I don't know if I'll even get more than two so I'm really really hoping the VCOM program takes me (plus it's simply more established). This one is just significantly closer to Idahome.

It's kind of insane that they require 4. I don't know if I'll even get more than two so I'm really really hoping the VCOM program takes me (plus it's simply more established). This one is just significantly closer to Idahome.
Hey buddy, I remember, replying your thread in the vcom page. you should apply. I got into this program already. I think it will be challenging but if you work hard, you can do it!!!!

Hello interested in this program, any word on how the current students are liking it? For those of you who got in what was the time frame for submitting your application and when you heard back for an interview/acceptance?

Hello interested in this program, any word on how the current students are liking it? For those of you who got in what was the time frame for submitting your application and when you heard back for an interview/acceptance?

I interviewed about a week and a half after I applied and was accepted about 1 week after the interview. Excited to start in August!

I interviewed about a week and a half after I applied and was accepted about 1 week after the interview. Excited to start in August!

Any reservations you have with the program? It's been hard finding student opinions about it. You think that it's worth it?

Do you mind saying when you applied for the program? Like early in the app cycle or more recently?

Any reservations you have with the program? It's been hard finding student opinions about it. You think that it's worth it?

I start the program in August. But from what I've heard from other students, it's well worth it if you put in the work.

Hey, I submitted my application in mid February and got an interview in mid march. I got accepted the second day after my interview. The interview is very laid back

Hey, I submitted my application in mid February and got an interview in mid march. I got accepted the second day after my interview. The interview is very laid back

Phone interview right? Or was it in person

Hey guys, just got accepted to the FBS program yesterday. App was complete March 23rd, interview April 7th, email yesterday!

Hey guys, just got accepted to the FBS program yesterday. App was complete March 23rd, interview April 7th, email yesterday!

Congrats, do you know how often they review apps? Mine was completed the 10th and haven't heard anything back yet, starting to wonder if they do silent rejections.

Congrats, do you know how often they review apps? Mine was completed the 10th and haven't heard anything back yet, starting to wonder if they do silent rejections.

I know when I followed up a week after my interview she said they were doing interviews for the DO program the end of April so I took that as the FBS program may take a back seat?

Are there any students who just finished this program and can shed some light on their thoughts about it?

Also for anyone currently accepted and starting this upcoming fall is there a Facebook group? Id love to join to meet future classmates and get some info on living arrangements as I am coming from out of state!

Hey Y'all! Just had my phone interview today :) Just wanted to get some opinions on people who have done this program or are going to.. Did you apply while you were in the program? Did you take your MCAT before/after? I need to retake mine but I can't decide if I get in if I should do it during winter break or just take it after the year is completed. I am graduating this week from undergrad so I'm a little burnt out and I do want some time (at least a summer) off before medical school. However I do want to keep my options open to be able to apply to other schools incase going to BCOM for medical school doesn't work out. I asked her today about the admission situation if you take a year off between the post bac and medical school and she said that you still get noticed as a post bac student.

Any other advice for the program? How to prepare, what to expect? How did you study?

Are there any students who just finished this program and can shed some light on their thoughts about it?

Also for anyone currently accepted and starting this upcoming fall is there a Facebook group? Id love to join to meet future classmates and get some info on living arrangements as I am coming from out of state!

I'm headed there as well in Mid-July from California. I have been looking for a Facebook group or any other students that can give feedback.

We can exchange emails and if I hear anything such as living arrangements or feedback I will let you know.

I'm headed there as well in Mid-July from California. I have been looking for a Facebook group or any other students that can give feedback.

We can exchange emails and if I hear anything such as living arrangements or feedback I will let you know.

Log into Facebook | Facebook <<< FB group. I did the program and am now matriculating as an OMS1

Hello do you mind if I message you and get some insight on the program and matriculation to BCOM?

Of course not. It's just a lot to write about. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I haven't taken the MCAT at all, and I was really excited about this program... now I'm having second thoughts. Do you guys think that this is at all manageable while trying to prep for the MCAT, with little to no experience for it? Also how difficult is it to maintain that 87%/ maintain a B in every subject (compared to undergrad-clearly it is a lot more work just wondering how much of a change I should expect)? I did apply to one Caribbean school as a back-up, would this still be a 100% more worth it or is it still high risk?
I appreciate all the insight! Thanks to all of you who are guiding us on what to expect!

Maybe join the Facebook group and ask the students who did it last year? I am in contact with someone I can ask her if you can talk to her if you'd like?

Anyone applying for this upcoming cycle?
If you're in the program/completed it, how did it go? Any additional information is appreciated :)

Applied when the app opened, waiting to hear back.

hello there! does anyone know if applicants can transfer their aacomas applications over to this post-bacc?
I plan on emailing to ask, but just wanted to see if anyone on sdn knew the answer

Has anyone heard back yet? I emailed them last month, they said admissions will meet in the next few weeks, but nothing so far.

ACEEPPPPTTTTEDDDDD

I noticed you have been accepted! Congrats couldn’t be happier for you. I actually just applied a week ago. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind answering some questions I had. I’m just curious about the interview process and what kinds of things I can do to better my chances of being accepted.

I appreciate any help you can give me and look forward to hearing back.

Hey! I am currently in the program so please let me know if you have any questions!

Hey! I am currently in the program so please let me know if you have any questions!
Do you know when the term starts for Fall? I will be taking Ochem over the summer and want to make sure that my course doesn't overlap with any of the BCOM dates. Otherwise, I'll just apply next year. Also, did you take the GRE or MCAT? Would you recommend taking the MCAT before starting the program? Thanks!

Could anyone provide what questions they ask during the phone interview?

I am going to warn everyone first about this program. I know many people probably applied to the program because of the Guaranteed admissions. If you are really serious about doing this program then I suggest that in the first semester you make sure you have 87% average and above for a good shot. Otherwise to be honest you would be wasting your time and money the second semester and that semester is much harder. You'll understand that faculty will give a lot of false hope. Many times what the program says and what admissions says never match up. I just want anyone who attends this program a word of caution. It is fast paced and a lot of knowledge will be thrown at you. They don't hold back and they make it in such a way that BCOM is only choice you can really apply for. If you aren't making that 87% average then I suggest start looking for alternatives early on. Best of luck guys.

Does anyone know what happened to this program, and why it just disappeared? Also, is there any chance it will come back?

Does anyone know what happened to this program, and why it just disappeared? Also, is there any chance it will come back?
Lol I saw that, they literally deleted the page. But I guess that's what happens with for profit institutions, no money being made = discontinued

I am going to warn everyone first about this program. I know many people probably applied to the program because of the Guaranteed admissions. If you are really serious about doing this program then I suggest that in the first semester you make sure you have 87% average and above for a good shot. Otherwise to be honest you would be wasting your time and money the second semester and that semester is much harder. You'll understand that faculty will give a lot of false hope. Many times what the program says and what admissions says never match up. I just want anyone who attends this program a word of caution. It is fast paced and a lot of knowledge will be thrown at you. They don't hold back and they make it in such a way that BCOM is only choice you can really apply for. If you aren't making that 87% average then I suggest start looking for alternatives early on. Best of luck guys.

Ppl should know the truth about these programs. Thank you!