michaelcimba

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Just curious what the heck the difference is between these two... Have searched anywhere and can't find it. I read BCP consists of upper and lower level courses, such as Physiology, Biochem, Molecular, etc.

Anyone have a list?

S

Spliced

Biology/chemistry/physics/biochemistry vs all science courses such as anatomy, physiology is the difference between BCP and SGPA

About the Ads

michaelcimba

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
BCP GPA: All undergraduate, graduate, and cumulative courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry and Physics are used in computing this GPA.

Science GPA: All undergraduate, graduate, and cumulative courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math and Other Science is used in computing this GPA.

Source: http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512
I read that. Unsure what is classified as an "other science".

May 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
The simplest explanation: the difference is just math courses. Science GPA include math, BCP does not. Everything else between the two is the same.

michaelcimba

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
The simplest explanation: the difference is just math courses. Science GPA include math, BCP does not. Everything else between the two is the same.
That's what I thought!
thank you!!!

Blackca3

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
There are a few more than just math courses that are a part of your science GPA. I had the same question and called AADSAS and they have a large list of what is considered science. For example, computer science courses I took in undergrad were counted as science.

May 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
There are a few more than just math courses that are a part of your science GPA. I had the same question and called AADSAS and they have a large list of what is considered science. For example, computer science courses I took in undergrad were counted as science.

You're right about that - the "Other Science" list is actually pretty substantial. It looks like there's a new category (Behavioral Science) that also is considered to be Science.

http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G..._ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASCourseSubjects2018.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
May 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Is that statement school dependent or definitely an overall trend?

I'm assuming an overall trend applicable to most schools - the courses that get the most focus are your core pre-reqs and upper level sciences, which all fall under BCP. The other courses still get looked at, but Science and Non-Science can include courses that are less relevant to predicting your success in dental school (e.g. how you did in computer science classes or in a philosophy class).

dentbin1

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental

Do you know which is more critical? BCP or sGPA? Because I have a substantial difference in my BCP (~3.45) and sGPA (~3.21). Which would schools look at more?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.