BCP vs Science GPA difference..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelcimba

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the heck the difference is between these two... Have searched anywhere and can't find it. I read BCP consists of upper and lower level courses, such as Physiology, Biochem, Molecular, etc.

Anyone have a list?

Members don't see this ad.

Biology/chemistry/physics/biochemistry vs all science courses such as anatomy, physiology is the difference between BCP and SGPA

Biology/chemistry/physics/biochemistry vs all science courses such as anatomy, physiology is the difference between BCP and SGPA
I read that phys and anatomy fall under "biology"..?

Members don't see this ad :)
BCP GPA: All undergraduate, graduate, and cumulative courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry and Physics are used in computing this GPA.

Science GPA: All undergraduate, graduate, and cumulative courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math and Other Science is used in computing this GPA.

Source: http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512
I read that. Unsure what is classified as an "other science".

The simplest explanation: the difference is just math courses. Science GPA include math, BCP does not. Everything else between the two is the same.

The simplest explanation: the difference is just math courses. Science GPA include math, BCP does not. Everything else between the two is the same.
That's what I thought!
thank you!!!

There are a few more than just math courses that are a part of your science GPA. I had the same question and called AADSAS and they have a large list of what is considered science. For example, computer science courses I took in undergrad were counted as science.

There are a few more than just math courses that are a part of your science GPA. I had the same question and called AADSAS and they have a large list of what is considered science. For example, computer science courses I took in undergrad were counted as science.

You're right about that - the "Other Science" list is actually pretty substantial. It looks like there's a new category (Behavioral Science) that also is considered to be Science.

http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G..._ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASCourseSubjects2018.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
Is that statement school dependent or definitely an overall trend?

I'm assuming an overall trend applicable to most schools - the courses that get the most focus are your core pre-reqs and upper level sciences, which all fall under BCP. The other courses still get looked at, but Science and Non-Science can include courses that are less relevant to predicting your success in dental school (e.g. how you did in computer science classes or in a philosophy class).

Do you know which is more critical? BCP or sGPA? Because I have a substantial difference in my BCP (~3.45) and sGPA (~3.21). Which would schools look at more?