adam64897

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok I am aware of what this is but I have looked everywhere and can't find a clear cut answer to this question:

Are statistics courses included in the BCPM calculation?

The name of the course I will be taking is "Introduction to Statistics."

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What is the department? Is it like Math 121 Intro to Stats? I think as long as it is taught by the math department it will definitely be a "math" class.

JRJ26

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
yeah they're included b/c they are usually under the Math department. I'm about to fail my probability and statistics final tomorrow, haha :-/

About the Ads

SoupWithAFork

Inertia Creeps
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I actually have the same question; the stats I'm taking is offered by the Statistics and Actuarial Science department, which is in the undergraduate business program at my school. I'm hoping this class doesn't count towards BCPM gpa.

Cali Anteater

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
New Orleans, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
SoupWithAFork said:
I actually have the same question; the stats I'm taking is offered by the Statistics and Actuarial Science department, which is in the undergraduate business program at my school. I'm hoping this class doesn't count towards BCPM gpa.

Stats can be BCPM if you want it to be. I am an econ major and put the stats offerred by the econ dept as BCPM and AMCAS ok'ed it. The rule for a class like this (i.e. stats not offerred by math dept) is if it raises your BCPM, than count it as BCPM. If not, don't count it as BCPM.

G

ghostfoot

Cali Anteater said:
Stats can be BCPM if you want it to be. I am an econ major and put the stats offerred by the econ dept as BCPM and AMCAS ok'ed it. The rule for a class like this (i.e. stats not offerred by math dept) is if it raises your BCPM, than count it as BCPM. If not, don't count it as BCPM.

Did someone at AMCAS tell you it was okay, or did you just submit it and it went through?

Also, would classes such as Psychbiology that are offered through the psychology and biology departments be BCPM (I would assume so)?

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Read the AMCAS help section regarding coursework classification. If you're still stumped, use your best judgement. If the content of the course was most comparable to a bio class, then classify it accordingly. In the case of psychbiology, it'll probably be up to you....
ghostfoot said:
Did someone at AMCAS tell you it was okay, or did you just submit it and it went through?

Also, would classes such as Psychbiology that are offered through the psychology and biology departments be BCPM (I would assume so)?

megaluna

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

so, if i took "quantitative research methods" in the psych dept. (basically it was behavioral science stats), does it count in my bcpm? or do i get to choose?

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've heard that the content of the course matters when deciding whether to include classes not offered by the Bio/Chem/Physics/Math departments. So, I was going to include my Human development 250-Elementary statistics as one of the BCPM courses. What do you think?

batman1983

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

How do you put certain classes, such as Stats, and in my case another class as well, such as Nutri Sci, within BCPM? Do you have to contac the AMCAS?

Thanks
-batman1983

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Oh, I have another question in addition to the one I asked 2 posts prior to this one. I've repeated Gen chem I/II and physics I/II although I've gotten A's in them the first time around due to the fact that they were taken about 15 year ago. I know that for overall GPA all retakes are counted. What about for BCPM calculations?

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Oh, I have another question in addition to the one I asked 2 posts prior to this one. I've repeated Gen chem I/II and physics I/II although I've gotten A's in them the first time around due to the fact that they were taken about 15 year ago. I know that for overall GPA all retakes are counted. What about for BCPM calculations?

All of your college level classes are included in both the cumulative and BCPM even if you repeated.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.