BCPS Spring 2020 Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdtobe1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone started studying? if so what material are you using?

Members don't see this ad.

Just took BCPS exam for the third time yesterday. first time scored 474, second time 484....only 16 points away! crossing fingers that I passed

Hey any tips on what to study in the practices and process of care chapter?! It is soo overwhelming!!

Is it true that as of Spring 2020 the regulatory accounts for a lesser portion of the exam? I definitely remember reading that somewhere but now I cannot find that in writing. Taking it in 3 weeks and I've been studying stats and clinical and just starting regulatory now..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that as of Spring 2020 the regulatory accounts for a lesser portion of the exam? I definitely remember reading that somewhere but now I cannot find that in writing. Taking it in 3 weeks and I've been studying stats and clinical and just starting regulatory now..
I thought that was going to happen for Fall 2020

Reactions: 1 user
How are you studying for the stats? Are you using the ACCP materials only?

The Fall 2020 exam has less regulatory questions. It's on the BPS website BCPS exam outlines

Hi. Please let us know in this forum how the spring exam went for you and its content. I will be taking the BCPS in Fall 2020.

Yah the spring BCACP was no easier.... anxiety...It sucks that we have to wait till Sept to find out the results...I'm literally going to forget everything I learned if I need to retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied the reg portion in ACCP and still wasn't prepared... so there's that. I'm frustrated they expect us to memorize 500 pages of information on regulations and then ask questions that were either not in the 500 pages or questions that are too complicated from a basic understanding of the information.

I did focus a bit on stats and hopefully did ok there. I was able to answer a few of the regulatory but it was a lot of guess work. I can understand why the pass rate is not the greatest. Maybe with everything going on they will pass more people or the curve will include more people. Fingers crossed

I work as a low level inpatient pharmacist, I studied what I could with Dr. Busti (High Yield Med Reviews). that review was wy too hard for me last year but I still scored 450/500 just off the content I understood from his lectures. The exam is pretty basic. Take a good course and learn as much as you can. I am going through Dr. Busti review again and plan to be able to get all biostat/ onc/HIV questions, the rest are pretty simple disease state questions, that require little thought.
Are
did you use the quiz bank? Did you find the questions to be similar or helpful?
you retaking the exam in the fall?

Hey any tips on what to study in the practices and process of care chapter?! It is soo overwhelming!!
Get Eric Christiansen’s Regulatory study guide...only $30.00. Gives an excellent summary on the regulatory stuff like leapfrog, just culture, meaningful use, all the Acts (ie durham-Humphrey act), all the committees like DEA,FDA,CDER,CBER, very informative to give you a layout to use to study, but definitely not to be used as a sole source of studying for regulatory. just do those accp questions at the end of the chapter for the sections not covered in his guide, ie Communication strategies, Literature evaluation . Use Quizlet like it’s your best friend for this too . Hope this helps

have to take the recert the second time. Are the material
Just took BCPS exam for the third time yesterday. first time scored 474, second time 484....only 16 points away! crossing fingers that I passed
Is it similar from exam to exam? I have to take the recert for the second time.

How in depth would you say you need to know HIV and oncology?
HIV is a struggle, relearning all the different classes and recommendations that change every year ... been focusing on AEs and opportunistic infections.
The ACCP oncology chapter doesn't even include chemotherapy regimens, only AE management. But the mock exam had plenty of chemotherapy/immunotherapy questions that I got all wrong! Don't know if it's worth my time to learn it :(

You’ll pass this time! You have been working hard and haven’t given up. I just took the exam and it’s not a good feeling after, knowing you have to wait months to get the results back! Like how am I supposed to wake up and not think about this everyday? LOL! also it’s a weird spot between needing to know if u should keep studying in the event that you don’t pass or just waiting it out and hoping for the best

You’ll pass this time! You have been working hard and haven’t given up. I just took the exam and it’s not a good feeling after, knowing you have to wait months to get the results back! Like how am I supposed to wake up and not think about this everyday? LOL! also it’s a weird spot between needing to know if u should keep studying in the event that you don’t pass or just waiting it out and hoping for the best
Any idea when the results will be out?

Took BCIDP last week and do not feel godo about it... I emailed them in regards to re-testing and they said if scores come out in september, they will have a separate testing window (hopefully in nov? dec? no idea tho...) also, i was told i cant re-register until the scores come out anyways.

To those wondering when scores will post/how they post, since this is my 3rd time taking the BCPS i thought i'd shed some light. Last year, if you look up BCPS 2019 spring on student doctor, BCIDP was first to post on June 26, 2019, followed by BCPS on June 27, 2019. The website will go down and that's how you know they are posting. Some people say you can go to their BCPS license verification they have and the results are up on their before up on the results website! If it still says "Eligible," this means results have NOT been posted yet. it will say PASSED or FAILED i believe, and tell you how you did in the three sections, "Under average, average, or above average." A score of 500 or greater is needed to pass. Just my opinion, but my scores were the last to post the last two times i took bcps, and it seemed to be the same for numerous others, so maybe they post the failed ones towards the end :( . This years results may be delayed longer since exam window extended due to COVID so who knows when scores will come out. I believe they take 60 days because they do some curve on it. Anyways, I hope this helps and i wish everyone the very best.

Last edited:
To those wondering when scores will post/how they post, since this is my 3rd time taking the BCPS i thought i'd shed some light. Last year, if you look up BCPS 2019 spring on student doctor, BCIDP was first to post on June 26, 2019, followed by BCPS on June 27, 2019. The website will go down and that's how you know they are posting. Some people say you can go to their BCPS license verification they have and the results are up on their before up on the results website! If it still says "Eligible," this means results have NOT been posted yet. it will say PASSED or FAILED i believe, and tell you how you did in the three sections, "Under average, average, or above average." A score of 500 or greater is needed to pass. Just my opinion, but my scores were like the last to post the last two times i took bcps, and it seemed to be the same for numerous others, so maybe they post the failed ones towards the end :( . Anyways, I hope this helps i wish everyone the very best. 3 more days hopefully...
Is there a curve for this exam?

Also, I thought they said the result won't come out till September due to the extension of the exam window based on the BPS website?

From experience and what I've seen in the past, on average I've heard it takes about 6 weeks after the last exam date....so I'm going to hope they post it in Aug!

From experience and what I've seen in the past, on average I've heard it takes about 6 weeks after the last exam date....so I'm going to hope they post it in Aug!
When was the last test date this year compared to last year? That will be a good way to find out when scores will post this year, as scores last year started coming out June 26th

I just took the test today (I've taken it before to no avail). Used the ACCP 2019 guides largely (very lengthy stuff) but didn't go through the practice test (don't have it). Will say they don't make it that easy and they are somewhat complex...sometimes pretty easy to narrow down to the last two but minor nuances between the final options which seems largely judgment call (why do doctors call what they do practice? heh). Either way, message me for more insight and/or setting up some study session for the future since I will prepare to retake in Fall 2020 regardless. The email from BPS regarding COVID changes states test results won't be out until September...but let's hope that's not the case (2 months for a computerized test...great punchline).

Hi I have 2018 materials, not even 2019
Do you think I should get 2020 ?
It is very expensive to buy as individuals!
How was oncology portion of test

Just came out of the exam on Monday and I think I definitely failed. Not a lot of HIV and ONC questions which I really focused on. There wasn’t a lot of biostats either. My exam had a lot of regulatory/policy/misc questions.

the pro metric receipt says 60 days but does it really take that long? I am afraid that we would find out after the Fall testing window would close.

Also, any idea where we would find out the results?

Just came out of the exam on Monday and I think I definitely failed. Not a lot of HIV and ONC questions which I really focused on. There wasn’t a lot of biostats either. My exam had a lot of regulatory/policy/misc questions.

the pro metric receipt says 60 days but does it really take that long? I am afraid that we would find out after the Fall testing window would close.

Also, any idea where we would find out the results?

The next round of tests hopefully has less regulatory. Hopefully it only takes 6 weeks (if you read the previous messages we kinda discuss it)

I emailed BPS about the possibility of extending the fall registration since the results will probably be released after. A representative got back to me telling me a registration window will be available for those who failed the exam in the spring. The representative also stated that BPS will work to see if scores can be provided ahead of schedule so that individual may have the opportunity to sign up for the Fall 2020 exam during the Fall 2020 registration window.

I emailed BPS about the possibility of extending the fall registration since the results will probably be released after. A representative got back to me telling me a registration window will be available for those who failed the exam in the spring. The representative also stated that BPS will work to see if scores can be provided ahead of schedule so that individual may have the opportunity to sign up for the Fall 2020 exam during the Fall 2020 registration window.
Thank you for doing that and sharing. I was going to reach out to them myself because I was wondering the same thing. I took it last Monday and do not feel good about it and want to know if I should start studying for the fall starting now lol. There were more hepatitis and case based questions where you had to interpret labs than I expected. There really weren’t as many critical care questions than I thought there would be. I studied pretty hard for the biostats portion and still don’t feel confident that I got those questions correct. As for the regulatory questions, I’m glad they are easing up on those in the fall because some of those were ridiculous.