BCSE in 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that most of the threads related to this issue are fairly dated.A couple of years or so, which is why its time for some new input. So here it goes. For those of your have taken the bcse in 2012/2013 or are planning to take it in 2014, what is your suggestion for preparation for BCSE..zuku or Vet prep?

Members don't see this ad.

I will present bcse tomorrow AM.
have been on vetprep mostly... but if I do not pass, I will start zuku.
am in SOCAL

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken the exam on December 12 this year. I am still waiting for the results. I've used Zuku. It seems that it did't cover the majority of questions, so I felt inconvenient during the actual exam.

I have taken the exam on December 12 this year. I am still waiting for the results. I've used Zuku. It seems that it did't cover the majority of questions, so I felt inconvenient during the actual exam.

Good luck..Hope you pass!!

Thanks! But no matter what results I get, I will not surrender))

That's the spirit!! Good for you. I'm still debating wich to choose..Zuku or Vet prep.. from what I have been reading, it seems not many are satisfied with ZUKU BCSE for getting ready for the BCSE. Maybe for the NAVLE exam, but seems that more students are leaning towards using Vet prep. Hope we can get more feedback from those who have tried them both.

Reactions: 1 users
That's the spirit!! Good for you. I'm still debating wich to choose..Zuku or Vet prep.. from what I have been reading, it seems not many are satisfied with ZUKU BCSE for getting ready for the BCSE. Maybe for the NAVLE exam, but seems that more students are leaning towards using Vet prep. Hope we can get more feedback from those who have tried them both.

Yesterday I received my results... I have passed the BCSE exam! They've just said that I achieved a passing score without exact numbers.
So, what have I used to overcome this step?
1. Zuku BCSE. I bought this course in July 2013 and took the exam on December 12, 2013. When I was answering the questions in the practice mode (there is also the test mode, where you are time limited), I had been writing down all new information (especially from the questions where I picked a wrong answer) in the doc file, so that I could review it later (for example when I was commuting to my job).
Besides, Zuku provides lots of notes, which are pretty useful.
2. Merck veterinary manual. This book is connected to Zuku, so I used it either. I have not read even a half this book, I used it only when Zuku referred to some of its pages in the answers of some questions.
3. Navle preparation lectures on YouTube. There are lack of them, maybe 7 or 9. But they are compelling, and I watched them while I was having a meal.
4. Mosby's comprehensive review for veterinary technicians - again, I have not read a lot of this book. Just some chapters.

As I said earlier, I felt pretty uncomfortable on the exam. But my study plan has worked. Certainly Zuku doesn't cover ALL questions, but neither of the courses can do it. I am sure that 99% of average vets can pass the BCSE if they stick to this plan.

I am gonna use vet prep for the NAVLE.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!!!!!!!!
I see from the above I need to add Zuku
Have 2 weeks to wait on my. Results.

It seems that most of the threads related to this issue are fairly dated.A couple of years or so, which is why its time for some new input. So here it goes. For those of your have taken the bcse in 2012/2013 or are planning to take it in 2014, what is your suggestion for preparation for BCSE..zuku or Vet prep?
Hi, I am preparing for BCSE next few months. I am using VCRC course/6 volumes (very heavy) and one month before the exam I will use zuku bcse review question. at the same time I visit a veterinary clinic two hours per week to familiarize myself with the situation here and attending the surgical operations with the Dr. I hope this will allow me to pass the exams from the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS, RealVet!!!!
Great accomplishment..Thanks for sharing the study plan with the group. I might just go with zuku for the BCSE.

In addition, I will also be using (mainly) the florida videos and notes, the pasquini books, the 5minute consultant ( small animals) and (equine),the merk veterinary manual, and a whole lotta prayers !! ;-)

Will see how that works

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATULATIONS, RealVet!!!!
Great accomplishment..Thanks for sharing the study plan with the group. I might just go with zuku for the BCSE.

In addition, I will also be using (mainly) the florida videos and notes, the pasquini books, the 5minute consultant ( small animals) and (equine),the merk veterinary manual, and a whole lotta prayers !! ;-)

Will see how that works

Thank you! I am sure your plan is gonna work!

Last edited:
Hi, I am preparing for BCSE next few months. I am using VCRC course/6 volumes (very heavy) and one month before the exam I will use zuku bcse review question. at the same time I visit a veterinary clinic two hours per week to familiarize myself with the situation here and attending the surgical operations with the Dr. I hope this will allow me to pass the exams from the first time.
Dear can you explain about VCRC course. How can i find it?

Yesterday I received my results... I have passed the BCSE exam! They've just said that I achieved a passing score without exact numbers.
1. Zuku BCSE. I bought this course in July 2013 and took the exam on December 12, 2013. When I was answering the questions in the practice mode (there is also the test mode, where you are time limited), I had been writing down all new information (especially from the questions where I picked a wrong answer) in the doc file, so that I could review it later (for example when I was commuting to my job).
2. Merck veterinary manual. This book is connected to Zuku, so I used it either. I have not read even a half this book, I used it only when Zuku referred to some of its pages in the answers of some questions.
3. Navle preparation lectures on YouTube. There are lack of them, maybe 7 or 9. But they are compelling, and I watched them while I was having a meal.
4. Mosby's comprehensive review for veterinary technicians - again, I have not read a lot of this book. Just some chapters.

As I said earlier, I felt pretty uncomfortable on the exam. But my study plan has worked. Certainly Zuku doesn't cover ALL questions, but neither of the courses can do it. I am sure that 99% of average vets can pass the BCSE if they stick to this plan.

Congratulations!! And thank you for this information. It has to be very exciting!!

I also would like to know what the VCRC course is.
I have been away from the field for so long, that I ended up buying a ton of books (used) but it's a bit overwhelming.

Two more questions:
1- I did that practice test they have available through the ECFVG website, which mentions that it will help people familiarize themselves with the test. I answered all questions, but when I click for the results, it says "incomplete" for several of them. I don't seem to understand the system they use to grade. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2- For those living here in the US, where do you work while studying? I am trying to get a job as a veterinary technician to be in the field, but being away from the field for a long time, and "competing" against licensed vet. techs is really affecting me. I do have to work (need the money), and I know I can volunteer as a tech (have a couple of places who allow me to tag along with them), but I am curious as to what do you do personally while going through the process of getting the license.

thanks

Where did you purchase the vcrc? I am trying to find information online, but can't seem to find anything recent.
thanks

also, this is the practice exam from the ecfvg website I took and that I seem to not be able to get rid of the "incomplete" answers, even thought I did answer them. It states that it is practice for the BCSE, and I would hate to fail for not understanding the system
https://www.prometric.com/Demos/AVMA/index.htm

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I just found out I failed so I need to retake the test. I got a 550 ughhhh! Anyway back to reality and studying. Us vets dont give up that easy, right? If anyone is interested in group studying let me know!

Reactions: 1 user
you were very close, congrats... I mean it.
back on track.
what are you reading now?
and what did you use to study?

Last edited:

Any particular topic you can recommend to study ? pls email at vetsmed21@yahoo, thank you very much , More power for NAVLE !

I will present bcse tomorrow AM.
have been on vetprep mostly... but if I do not pass, I will start zuku.
am in SOCAL
Hi,
What about your results?
I hope you pass:)
I got 570 in mine
But i will do it again;)

Good

good job..congrts:)

There was a post on a forum (and silly me, I didn't reply right away) that mentioned something along the "top 20" as one good thing to study. Do any of you know what that is, and where to find it?
thanks!

There was a post on a forum (and silly me, I didn't reply right away) that mentioned something along the "top 20" as one good thing to study. Do any of you know what that is, and where to find it?
thanks!
Hi :)
I think you mean top 20 of toxicology and it is as pdf file in zuku ;)

There is a course on VIN but its for NAVLE, it refers to the top 20

would YOU LIKE TO GET TOGEHER ON SKYPE TO STUDY ??

Apologies for the late reply, bosnianvet, due to the fact that i am currently outside the U.S., the time zone difference makes it a bit challenging for me to stick to a study schedule with a group on skype and my net connection here is not reliable. I also travel on and off which makes it difficult to maintain the consistency needed for a serious study group ( just got back from a last minute trip, hence the late reply).

That said, i totally support study groups if you can find them, either in the same area or on skype. I was in a great group for some time and i gained LOADS of info and support, so if any of you can find a good study group than go for it.

Another update is that i finally decided to sign up for the Zuku review today for six months. As i mentioned in a previous post, i will not depend on it alone. I think other resources have been mentioned extensively in other post, so i wont go into that. Will share new resources as i find them :)

Thanks again for everyone who takes the time to read the post, share their experience and encourage the members of the group. Your words of encouragement might be the reason someone picks themselves up, brushes themselves off and gets back in the saddle of this game called "life as an aspiring vet". Keep it up. You guys ROCK!

Hi there , I took BCSE 3times , I was using zuku , and i got 570 , If somebody would like to study on skype please let me know, BSCE and NAVLE
hi,
is any one know how to start study and what to start with BCSE. I just received acceptance from the board that I can challenge the exame. so plz let me know if any one can help me.
thanks

Hello everyone, I'm taking the BCSE next month and I was reading a few comments here about the "Florida videos". What are those exactly? And can anyone post the links to those videos? Much appreciated.

Last edited:
I did my BCSE in the end of februari and got the results yesterday as I passed the test. The only thing I used for study was Zuku. I have to add that I'm a practising vet with my own mobile equine practise so I've been working all the time while studying. I finished all the questions in studymode, never did testmode. I was studying sporadically during 2-3 months depending on how much I was working. In my opinion my experience from practice was the key to success, I've also worked with farm animals and small animals earlier in my career. Once doing the test I never got anxious, never even looked the timer and I had 45 minutes left after finished all the questions. I Wish everybody good luck!

Hi guys!! Anybody interested in studying for the BCSE test? I live in CA but if you are far away we can study online. I've taken the test once this year and I'd like a committed partner to study again. Thanks! [email protected]
Daniela.

Reactions: 1 user