Be honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In all reality, do I have any chance of getting into dental school with the follwoing stats.

Undergrad approx 2.65
Graduate 3.33
DAT 18aa, 17OC, 16GC, 17TS, 23RC,14pat,14qr
Lot of shadowing experience, and research experience ( work in pharmaceutical reserach). Certified to take oral x-rays. I am worried I will not get in. I plan on sending in my old dat scores so that i can still apply early, re-taking the DAT in july. But, does anyone think i have a shiot at dental school with my current stats, i dont want to have to count of retaking the dat

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, you need to score 20+ in at least all the science sections, 18+ in the rest (b/c of the GPA).

As of now, your under. GPA and your DAT would not make the cutoffs in certain schools.

But the most accurate and honest assessments can come from the dental schools themselves. They're just a phone call/e-mail away.

Good luck and don't give up if dentistry is your passion. :luck:

Being honest, I don't think your chances are very good. I am a third year applicant, and my stats were more competitive the first two cycles and I wasn't accepted anywhere (10 schools each time). You will have to really smoke the DAT to increase your chances. Good Luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
premedman said:
In all reality, do I have any chance of getting into dental school with the follwoing stats.

Undergrad approx 2.65
Graduate 3.33
Lot of shadowing experience, and research experience ( work in pharmaceutical reserach). Certified to take oral x-rays. I am worried I will not get in. I plan on sending in my old dat scores so that i can still apply early, re-taking the DAT in july. But, does anyone think i have a shiot at dental school with my current stats, i dont want to have to count of retaking the dat

Realistically speaking, I think that for your numbers to have any kind of shot, you really need to aim high on the DATs.
When your application gets the initial look by the ADCOMs, they look at numbers only, and your side extras such as shadowing, research, essay gets a look only after you make the numbers cut-off. Because they have to go through thousands of applications, they aren't going to read all those essays and extras unless you are at a minimum standard.

You can't do anythings about your past grades, but what you can change is the DATs. Everyone who flopped on their GPAs have a 2nd chance with their DATs. I too didn't have a strong GPA in the least, but I did focus on tearing the DATs last summer. They were good enough get me into my first choice school, and interviews with 7 out of 8 schools I applied to when I applied in Dec.

Great DATs can really take you a long way. Keep this in mind, and aim for a high score.

good advice! but, i have a question. What is the point of getting a masters if they still look at undergrad?

premedman said:
good advice! but, i have a question. What is the point of getting a masters if they still look at undergrad?

It shows determination and an unwillingness to give in and be defeated. It is actually in your favor to have done better on the graduate schooling. Those D.A.T. scores would most likely need to be retaken to be competative though. Are you also tryting to get into Med School? (Your username)

original question: no you really don't have much of a chance. "Lots of shadowing" is not going to cut it since almost everyone has it. "Research experience" won't mean much unless it's very significant, think published and you as almost primary researcher and original.... "can take oral xrays" is as much of an application booster as say.... "owned a rabbit".

point of getting the masters is to have a separate masters' GPA to demonstrate you turning over a new leaf.

I agree with the above opinions. I just have to repeat: retake the DAT and make sure you do much better. Science scores above 20 and you Grad GPA may get you an interview

20 or higher on TS of DAT is necessary.

remember that the undergrad gpa is wayyy more important than any post grad gpa... it wouldn't hurt to do a post bacc or retake the basic science classes, as both will serve to increase your undergrad gpa

i disagree with everyone else and think you have a decent chance for admissions, just don't get disappointed if it doesn't happen this year

don't mean to burst your bubbles, but with your GPA you gotta get 20+ across the board. Most schools have a cut off point at 15 so you still need to retake DAT. Study more and ROCK THAT DAT!!! :)

Save your money and don't apply for this cycle. Take some time off and study your butt off.

good luck

premedman said:

Undergrad approx 2.65
Graduate 3.33

In alignment with the other posters, your DAT needs to improve. I don't understand why your scores are so erratic. An awesome 23 on the RC, and a ridiculous 14 on the PAT and QR. What happened? It seems surprising especially for someone who has a graduate degree. The inconsistency is very curious.

You have no chance unless you retake the DAT. Just study hard for it and take it.

egpndoc said:
You have no chance unless you retake the DAT. Just study hard for it and take it.

Agreed - what's more, it's short and to the point.

Gone fishin said:
Being honest, I don't think your chances are very good. I am a third year applicant, and my stats were more competitive the first two cycles and I wasn't accepted anywhere (10 schools each time). You will have to really smoke the DAT to increase your chances. Good Luck!!!!

gone fishin,

what were the range of your stats? this cycle will be the 2nd round for me. i'm worried because since the last time i submitted my application the only thing that's changed is more classes and volunteering. all the new stuff i'm planning on doing isn't reflected in this years application. i have a LOR from a dentist who ended his letter with the plans i have after i graduate this june so hopefully the schools will look at that.

what schools did you apply to?

thanks in advance!

retake DAT and do post-bacc. You should also get real good LOR's as you know. I got into Nova's pharmacy program with a sub par GPA and average PCAT score w/out my A.A. I know my 2 yrs certified tech exp., and very very good LOR's from RPh's got me in. I also interviewd very well as I was calm and knew a lot about the pharmacy profession. I think if you can pull off an interview invite, then you can really show your interest in dentistry like myself. I decided pharm wouldnt pacify my true interests so im getting my degree now and going for dentistry. Something that really helps me with school is by not thinking about "the big picture" and by only thinking about day to day objectives. My cousin got into one of the best pharmacy schools in the country, UF, and had a 3.0 GPA! She did have a good PCAT, but nothing steller (90th percentile). Be persistant with your dream and stay positive. Best wishes to you. ;) < Jon

F*R*I*E*N*D*S said:
gone fishin,

what were the range of your stats? this cycle will be the 2nd round for me. i'm worried because since the last time i submitted my application the only thing that's changed is more classes and volunteering. all the new stuff i'm planning on doing isn't reflected in this years application. i have a LOR from a dentist who ended his letter with the plans i have after i graduate this june so hopefully the schools will look at that.

what schools did you apply to?

thanks in advance!

On the most recent cycle (2005), my GPA was in the 3.5 range, and my DAT scores were 18's and 19's, with the exception of one low score in O. Chem. (14). This was not good enough for multiple private schools across the nation. I recieved two late interview invites and were placed as an alternates for both.