be honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovechild404

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know you guys hate these sort of threads but here it is:

i haven't been accepted OR invited to an interview for the 2006 application cycle. i'm depressed more than i can even describe. i will be applying again. can you guys please give me some suggestions and your thoughts as to why i didn't get any sort of response for this cycle?

here's the low-down:

submitted=july 15
aadsas sent out=aug 15
LOR sent out= NOVEMBER! (this is where i died)
cumgpa=3.19
scigpa=2.89
DAT=19/19/18

bio major (finished all classes at an accredited univ)
LOTS of volunteer/shadowing (international work as well)
great LOR

there are some obvious low points, but i don't think i'm THAT terrible of an applicant. i honestly think it is b/c my application got complete in NOV, but i could very easily be kidding myself. what do you guys think???

i'd appreciate any feedback.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your science gpa is a bit low you may want to reconsider taking that DAT and getting in the 20's in the science sections to show you can do it. Applying early would also help.

your stats are mediocre, so having your application in early is critical. I would retake the DAT and aim for 20+ to balance out the low GPA, and have everything sent in ASAP. Normally, in order for people who have everything sent in in November to have any remote chance at getting in, they must be pretty lucky and have stats that really stand out. This is why you must get your full completed app in early.
good luck on your next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
lovechild404 said:

i haven't been accepted OR invited to an interview for the 2006 application cycle. i'm depressed more than i can even describe. i will be applying again. can you guys please give me some suggestions and your thoughts as to why i didn't get any sort of response for this cycle?

here's the low-down:

submitted=july 15
aadsas sent out=aug 15
cumgpa=3.19
scigpa=2.89
DAT=19/19/18

great LOR

there are some obvious low points, but i don't think i'm THAT terrible of an applicant. i honestly think it is b/c my application got complete in NOV, but i could very easily be kidding myself. what do you guys think???

thanks

Apply early I guess is the only thing I can think of at this moment to change. Possibly writing a really great personal statement.

I would call the schools and ask why you didn't get a interview. I think there information will be a lot more helpful than the information given on this website.

Honestly

The extreme upward trend applications are moving I dont think you have much of a chance unless you raise your science GPA. Unless you can pull 21 or 22 on the DAT I dont think even raising your DAT score would help much. Go do a post bac... raise the science gpa AND retake the DAT. IMO.

more honesty please....

Your breath stinks...

natroncb said:
Honestly

The extreme upward trend applications are moving I dont think you have much of a chance unless you raise your science GPA. Unless you can pull 21 or 22 on the DAT I dont think even raising your DAT score would help much. Go do a post bac... raise the science gpa AND retake the DAT. IMO.
I second that. I feel that I barely squeked in with a 3.5 and a killer upward trend. Do you have a state school that you are applying to? If not, move.

not good...you have a 3.5 and you still feel as though you barely got in...definitely not good.

dats are really everything in my opinion. if you get 20s or higher your gpa wont matter i think. but i think with your stats now you should be able to get in SOMEWHERE. it probably matters where u applied. do it again next year and do it early. do something cool in the next year like im doing (living and working in oral surgery in europe)

I did everything the same as the original poster, had aadsas send it out juy 15...good extracurriculars, good interviews, alright letters..gpa:3.56 Sci: 3.33 DAT: 20/20/18..and Ive been waitlisted at all my schools I've interviewed. So I know what your going through, but like everyone says and would do, just apply again.

lovechild404 said:
not good...you have a 3.5 and you still feel as though you barely got in...definitely not good.
Hi there,

Actually, you don't need a 3.5 to get into dental school ( I certainly didn't have that but I got into my top choice). Having said that, your sci GPA is kind of low. BUT, there are definitely areas that you could change, for instance, your DAT scores. Have you taken a prep course for it? If not, I definitely recommend taking the Kaplan course to increase your scores. I know this sounds impossible at the moment, but you would need a 23 on your TS (to balance out your sci GPA) and 22 on your AA to ensure that you'll get in next year. Also, you have to submit your application the first day that the application cycle opens and make sure schools receive all the materials. Also, I would recommend applying to at least 10 schools. Finally, call and sweetly ask the adcom periodically about the status of your application; I know schools tell you not to call them but from what I heard people who really follow-up on their applications are the ones that get the good news. Best of luck to you! :)

lovechild404 said:
more honesty please....

I feel terrible for having to say this but if you haven't heard from any schools by now, I don't think there are any hope of getting in this year. I think you should focus your energy on vamping up your application for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
martinelli said:
I feel terrible for having to say this but if you haven't heard from any schools by now, I don't think there are any hope of getting in this year. I think you should focus your energy on vamping up your application for next year.

wow... :idea:

as for you lovechild,

put all your effort and energy into your next DAT. make sure you score 20s across the board. that's your only ticket to dental school, i guarantee it!

lovechild404 said:

here's the low-down:

submitted=july 15
aadsas sent out=aug 15
cumgpa=3.19
scigpa=2.89
DAT=19/19/18

great LOR

thanks

I believe your LOR killed u, bc ur file was completed very late, given the number of applicant's this year and the fact that interviews started back in september and first batch of acceptances gone out Dec. 1st, you missed your opportunity. I know people who had your DAT but a bit higher GPA like 3.2 science and 3.3 overall and got in, but they had everything in by september! But since u will be applying for the next cycle the only quick improvement u can do to ensure ur acceptance is to retake the DAT and score better specially in science section, having a high score in your science section proves that you know your scineces and it covers up for your low GPA. ALso definitely apply EARLY (late MAy early June MAX), and have everything in by then. Applying to dental school is now a timing game, the sooner u apply the better your chances are.
Good Luck

lovechild404 said:
Yes. My BCP and science were higher and the schools were far from knocking down my door. It took me 2 application cycles to get in.

Urrrr...who I'm pretty sure the 2.89 sci GPA was the thing that killed him. If he had a 3.9, he would get lots of interviews without LORs so that's def. not it. Take more sci classes, get it about a 3.0, that'll also raise your overall to around a 3.3 maybe. Improve your DAT, apply early, and you're in...maybe.

Audio said:
Urrrr...who I'm pretty sure the 2.89 sci GPA was the thing that killed him. If he had a 3.9, he would get lots of interviews without LORs so that's def. not it. Take more sci classes, get it about a 3.0, that'll also raise your overall to around a 3.3 maybe. Improve your DAT, apply early, and you're in...maybe.

I second this opinion, based on my personal experience. I got interview offers from schools before they even received my LOR's. Like many other have already said, the OP's biggest handicap is his science GPA. These days, you have to have either real high DAT or GPA, or a decent stat of both. Actually, even with 20's on DAT, a science GPA of 2.8 seems kinda low ... especially with the competition these days. You really better get that up to have any shot, on top of improving DAT score.

Good luck.

at my school pre-dental club, we asked the exact same question to Michigan's head of admission's. he told us about this one kid who had the same problem. the solution was to take more classes and prove to the admission's that you can do good in higher level science classes.
so, the kid went for a masters. according to michigan's admision's the kid didn't even change his LORs or PS. and after a year in the MS program he was excepted into Michigan. didn't even have to finish his MS!

there a plenty of people who get there MS of Ph.D. before going to Dental School. and i'm sure it does look pretty good on your application.

also, another thing i would suggest is to pay a lot of attention to the schools you apply. apply to schools you're considered in-state. to private schools that don't care about residency, and other state schools that take more than 30% out of state applicants to increase your chance of acceptance.

since you know the drills, for 2007 cycle apply the first day they open the cycle. i heard from my advisor that there was more than 2000 applications in the first day of the cycle this year. 2000 completed applications!!! god, get a life people.

now the sacry part, these where my stats.

submitted=sept. 1
aadsas sent out=oct. 18
LOR sent out= oct. 11
cumgpa=3.71
scigpa=3.77
DAT=AA 21 TS=19 PAT=22

human bio major (finished all classes at an accredited univ)
LOTS of volunteer and club activities. little shadowing
great LOR (they better be)
awesome PS (according to advisors and admission's)

and still! i only got 3 interviews out of 10 schools i applied to, and one of them was for a waiting list!! i did aim high though, i might have gotten more interviews if i either applied earlier or if i had chose easier schools.

the schools that have lower GPAs and DAT scores tent to fill up faster, cause the will take pretty much anyone. so, apply early!!

i hope this helps. good luck. not everybody is luck enough to get in the first time.

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2010

Why do i want to be a dentist? Because all i want to do is to lie to people and make little kids cry.

lovechild404 said:

here's the low-down:

submitted=july 15
aadsas sent out=aug 15
cumgpa=3.19
scigpa=2.89
DAT=19/19/18

great LOR

thanks

you need a Master's degree to raise your sci GPA. this way you will have a separate graduate GPA which will hopefully be very high (plus an overall cum GPA)

your DAT is fine for many schools.

thank you for your responses. you've all been very helpful! i will definitely be applying again and will take the dat again (I am a bit worried that i'll might not increase my score though) in August.

however, i have another question....

my spring quarter grades will be available on June 15/16. should i wait till then to submit my aadsas applic. or should i submit it in May? i definitely want my spring qtr grades calculated into my gpa (c. and sci).

what do you guys think?

i think you should submit as soon as possible. but that's just me.
remember you can update your application anytime. right?(god, i love the fact that i can't remember.)

lovechild404 said:
thank you for your responses. you've all been very helpful! i will definitely be applying again and will take the dat again (I am a bit worried that i'll might not increase my score though) in August.

however, i have another question....

my spring quarter grades will be available on June 15/16. should i wait till then to submit my aadsas applic. or should i submit it in May? i definitely want my spring qtr grades calculated into my gpa (c. and sci).

what do you guys think?

Take more upper division biology classes until your science GPA is around 3.0. It's a big red flag anytime your GPA is in the two's..
Also, you need at least 22's on your DAT b/c 3.0 is considered low.
Finally, apply super early

I would personally not try to do a masters. Your graduate grades are not lumped together with your undergrad grades. That means that you'll get separate grades for your masters and you won't be able to raise your undergrad grades. Also, getting a Master's degree takes at least two years....which is a long time to wait....

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I have some grad classes with a higher GPA than my undergrad, and they look at those seperately? I did a year of MBA but didn't finish. The grads I made there would definitely do me better...

I was in a similar situation as you two years ago. My sci GPA was slightly below 3, and my DAT scores were similar to yours. I got rejected from every school in my first attempt. I just took some additional science classes and upped my sci GPA to a 3.2. I got a few interviews last year, and I ended up at BU. Im just about done my first year, so don't give up just yet.

BTW, apply to BU, it's a great school!