Beard or no beard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background (for what it's worth..): Middle Eastern descent, first mustache appeared during 7th grade, goatee in 9th, full beard capabilities by the end of 10th grade.

Since the start of college in 2011, I have basically kept a *well groomed* faded beard. Honestly can't even remember the last time I used my razor to shave directly on my face. So basically, I've always had facial hair and I'm really good at keeping it at a very light, even length (a level 1 on a typical beard trimmer)

My question pertains to the picture I will be sending out to schools for secondaries. I'm set to get official pictures done in a few days at a local CVS and I'm curious if this is okay.

I hear about being clean shaven for interviews, and I'll cross that bridge later. But for now, and for the 2x2 picture you send in to a lot of schools.

Just out of neurotic curiosity, this won't be an issue, would it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd shave. My roommate was Lebanese and if you are anything like him I'm sure you'll be back to your bearded self in like, 3 days.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn I was about to ask this same question.....I shaved two days ago in prep for my pictures but you can see a little stubble on my face. Is that worth getting them retaken?

@gyngyn I was about to ask this same question.....I shaved two days ago in prep for my pictures but you can see a little stubble on my face. Is that worth getting them retaken?
Shave. It's not worth worrying about.

Reactions: 1 user
It probably won't be an issue, but it might, who knows. The safest bet is to shave.

Background (for what it's worth..): Middle Eastern descent, first mustache appeared during 7th grade, goatee in 9th, full beard capabilities by the end of 10th grade.

Haha this background was great. Also, my ovaries can't handle the bolded so good luck to the ladies at your med school.

Reactions: 6 users
Haha this background was great. Also, my ovaries can't handle the bolded so good luck to the ladies at your med school.

Haha that just made me laugh out loud. So thank you for that.

Always shave unless you're a nontrad. A middle aged dude comes off completely different than some kid with facial hair.

Literally just shaved, ran back to the studio down the road, and begged them to retake a couple of pictures. Thankfully they obliged and this ordeal is finished.

Reactions: 3 users
It probably won't be an issue, but it might, who knows. The safest bet is to shave.
Always shave unless you're a nontrad. A middle aged dude comes off completely different than some kid with facial hair.

An exception would be for applicants who grew and kept beards for religious purposes. I doubt medical schools will force these applicants to violate their own religious principles by demanding them to shave.

Reactions: 4 users

Since the start of college in 2011, I have basically kept a *well groomed* faded beard. Honestly can't even remember the last time I used my razor to shave directly on my face. So basically, I've always had facial hair and I'm really good at keeping it at a very light, even length (a level 1 on a typical beard trimmer)

My question pertains to the picture I will be sending out to schools for secondaries. I'm set to get official pictures done in a few days at a local CVS and I'm curious if this is okay.

I hear about being clean shaven for interviews, and I'll cross that bridge later. But for now, and for the 2x2 picture you send in to a lot of schools.

Send me a pic. I'll tell you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The SDN conventional wisdom about facial hair is some absurdly unfounded and ridiculous garbage. As long as your beard is well groomed, isn't shaped in a strange way (I would hope this doesn't need further explanation but if it does google "handlebar beard" as a starting point), doesn't have weird bald patches then KEEP IT!

After going on med school, residency and fellowship interviews, been to multiple conferences that are full of academic types, and just generally existed in med school and clinical situations for a decade now I can tell you that the whole "no beard" advice on SDN is complete bullsh*t. I have a short trimmed beard, my program director has a beard, my research mentor has a beard, etc etc. I just look better with it so I haven't been clean shaven in over 2 years now. I've presented at conferences and done clinical work with absolutely no issues.

Bottom line: LOOK YOUR BEST! If that involves having facial hair then go for it!

Reactions: 3 users
Shave. I got rejected from Tulane because I didn't wear a tie on the interview. You really want to be as normal and blended in as possible.

Last edited:

Where are you from habibi?

Shave. I got rejected from Tulane because I didn't wear a tie on the interview. You really want to be as normal and blended in as possible.

This isn't the same thing!!! You need to show up to every interview for anything in a suit. That includes a tie. That's not only the case for med school it's the case for every professional school interview or job interview ever.

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't the same thing!!! You need to show up to every interview for anything in a suit. That includes a tie. That's not only the case for med school it's the case for every professional school interview or job interview ever.

I'm starting to believe that Jalby's posts are meant to be satirical... given the context of his recent posts in other threads. The comparison here between shaving and not wearing a tie makes no sense at all.

I'm starting to believe that Jalby's posts are meant to be satirical... given the context of his recent posts in other threads. The comparison here between shaving and not wearing a tie makes no sense at all.

Dammit. You might be right.

This question presents a very valid point for people of certain backgrounds. In my applications, I talked about my beard and how having one (paired with my ethnicity) led to some instances of prejudice during my undergraduate years. Now I'm wondering if schools will expect me to have one during my interview? My beard looks almost identical to Tsar Nicholas II's, and it took me a long time to grow so I'm thinking of keeping it; however, I plan to keep it groomed to an immaculate and almost enviable standard. Any AdComs want to chime in on this particular circumstance?

This question presents a very valid point for people of certain backgrounds. In my applications, I talked about my beard and how having one (paired with my ethnicity) led to some instances of prejudice during my undergraduate years. Now I'm wondering if schools will expect me to have one during my interview? My beard looks almost identical to Tsar Nicholas II's, and it took me a long time to grow so I'm thinking of keeping it; however, I plan to keep it groomed to an immaculate and almost enviable standard. Any AdComs want to chime in on this particular circumstance?

Add this to the "beards that look weird" list. Please don't show up to an interview looking like a cartoon villain. I suspect you don't look your best with that beard.

Add this to the "beards that look weird" list. Please don't show up to an interview looking like a cartoon villain. I suspect you don't look your best with that beard.

Thank you for the insight! You're right; I probably shouldn't show up looking like a physician who just got pulled from the ward at The Knick.

What part of my third sentence do you not understand?? You want to look and act like every other medical school applicant. Different is not good.

Send me a pic. I'll tell you.

Can't tell if this is serious or....

The SDN conventional wisdom about facial hair is some absurdly unfounded and ridiculous garbage. As long as your beard is well groomed, isn't shaped in a strange way (I would hope this doesn't need further explanation but if it does google "handlebar beard" as a starting point), doesn't have weird bald patches then KEEP IT!

After going on med school, residency and fellowship interviews, been to multiple conferences that are full of academic types, and just generally existed in med school and clinical situations for a decade now I can tell you that the whole "no beard" advice on SDN is complete bullsh*t. I have a short trimmed beard, my program director has a beard, my research mentor has a beard, etc etc. I just look better with it so I haven't been clean shaven in over 2 years now. I've presented at conferences and done clinical work with absolutely no issues.

Bottom line: LOOK YOUR BEST! If that involves having facial hair then go for it!

See, this is what I always have thought. All throughout college I've kept a very well-groomed beard. Besides for random insinuations about religion/ethnicity/etc., I haven't had a problem with it. It's not like a "no-shave November" beard...

Where are you from habibi?

Jordan.