Beard for interveiws

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1022805

As the title suggests, I don’t know whether a beard is acceptable for the interview. In my applicant photo that I sent, I have like a 2 mm beard ( kind of like a well groomed stubble). Now I have a 3 mm beard and I’m not sure if my facial hair has to be exactly like the photo or I have to go clean shave as some threads have suggested. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a well-groomed beard. Didn't hurt me.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it was 19mm around the chin and tapered to 13mm along the cheek and jawline.
Ah I see. I guess my issue is that my beard is not the same as it is in my applicant photo that I submitted so I’m kind of concerned

Here's the thing, if it is going to make you self-conscious/second guess yourself, then shave it. It'll grow back after the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess my issue is that my beard is not the same as it is in my applicant photo
Be yourself. My applicant photo had no glasses or facial hair. I have facial hair now and on most days I wear glasses. I wouldn't sweat it. One of my interviewers brought it up and we laughed about it. I will second the advice to keep it well groomed.

As the title suggests, I don’t know whether a beard is acceptable for the interview. In my applicant photo that I sent, I have like a 2 mm beard ( kind of like a well groomed stubble). Now I have a 3 mm beard and I’m not sure if my facial hair has to be exactly like the photo or I have to go clean shave as some threads have suggested. Thanks!!
Shave.

Reactions: 2 users
Can be pulled off but always better to go with the most conservative choice while interviewing

I had a well groomed beard for med school interviews. ~12mm on chin tapered to about 8mm on jaw line. Was accepted to 3/4 interviews. I also have no chin without it so I think it helped lol

I had a well groomed beard for med school interviews. ~12mm on chin tapered to about 8mm on jaw line. Was accepted to 3/4 interviews. I also have no chin without it so I think it helped lol
How are you guys measuring your beards in millimeters??

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
How are you guys measuring your beards in millimeters??
A ruler.

In all seriousness, the guards on the clippers I use have the cut length in mm.

Reactions: 1 user
All that matters is that you look well-kept. If your facial hair makes you feel more confident, keep it. If it's going to make you anxious to have facial hair, shave it off!

It will not harm your chances in an interview, as long as it is well groomed.

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of med students/residents/attendings with beards these days and I think you'd be fine to keep it as well as it's well-groomed. You might come across some particularly stodgy/old-school faculty who will dock you for it, but I think most would not. I do not think anybody would notice a 1 mm difference in your beard between the photo and real life.

Had a well groomed short beard for all of my interviews and it did not hurt me at all. Honestly I think my hair was worse as it was in the middle of the pandemic and I did not have an opportunity to groom my COVID isolation mane. Despite my beard, and mane, interviews went well.