Hey I'm just glad at least one person found some value in my initial post. I love finance so i thoroughly enjoyed attempting to explain a new concept that i has newly learned that mathematically just made sense. The more I've discussed it, the more it has solidified my own understanding and knowledge.
You're already doing really great with selling puts and sounds like you've mastered calls and puts now. I think you can attest to this being not really that complicated...i think initially you were hesitant and didn't understand the concept of "buying back" a put, but sounds like you've mastered that too. These strategies can honestly be learned in 1 week i think, which i think you will agree with. So it's really not as complex as people think.
Also when you're ready for really safe options (sort of like the index funds i do) then look into the differences between us and European options - look at spx and rut which is basically the European equivalent of spy and iwm. But those options cannot be executed before their deadline, which takes almost all unpredictability out of the equation in case someone exercises their option prematurely before deadline.
Also for extremely extremely volatile individual stocks that you are trading, look into selling a put and combining that with buying a put with a lower strike price to limit your downside risk with extremely volatile assets that can essentially go to 0. This decreases your premium when you buy a put with a lower strike, but it also means you don't have unlimited loss potential if this biotech stock went bankrupt in a month and stock went to 0 and you had to buy it at whatever strike price.
Cheers. Good luck. Glad you're killing it. My next current project is setting up an automated dropshipping Amazon and eBay store with full automation. I'll post about it if it makes $$$
I'm already on it! credit spreads are coming up. They will be useful for sure. I'm just trying to work on how to optimize the profit/loss for what I want to do, which is relatively conservative stuff. You know...deciding on the moneyness of the short put, how wide to make the spread (e.g. where to buy the long put), etc. I've read it's harder to manage credit spreads if they go bad than just regular ol' cash-secured puts. But it's just a matter of time before I try one.
It's like learning to ride a bike when you are young. I remember being terrified to even get on it and did everything I could to protect myself if I fell. Same thing with options. I'm not going to do anything crazy at first (and hopefully ever). Experienced option traders will do something like
Stock Price XYZ: 50
Sell Put 49 Strike: 1.60
Buy Put 47 Strike: 1.00
Net Credit: 0.60 (1.60 - 1.0)
Max Loss: 1.4 (49 - 47 - 0.6)
Probability of Profit: 57%
Return on Capital: 0.6 / 1.4 = 42%
Traders try to get a profit (or return on capital) of 33% or more of the credit spread. The problem I have with the trade above is that the stock very likely might go to 48 or around that and it's just more complicated in terms of how to manage this credit spread to limit risk than a similar cash-secured put (where you just sell the 49 Put strike and wait). You can roll down short put, just let the position go and see what happens, muck around with the long put, and there are other things one can do. But traders who watch the market continuously might be able to time things like this to make money, or they do hundreds of trades like above to squeeze out a moderate sized profit.
I will probably do something much more OTM like:
Stock Price XYZ: 50
Sell Put 44 Strike: 0.45
Buy Put 40 Strike: 0.10
Net Credit: 0.35 (0.45 - 0.1)
Max Loss: 3.65 (44 - 40 - 0.2)
Probability of Profit: 87%
Return on Capital: 0.35 / 3.65 = 9.5%
What makes this credit spread above so enticing is the distance between the stock price and the short put (50 - 44), which corresponds to a 12% drop in stock price, and the break even point of this trade would be 44 - 0.35 = 43.65, which is 12.7% drop in stock price. Assuming these options expire in 30 days...there are very few stocks that drop 12% in one month. There are literally thousands of companies that do not go up or down 12% in one month. And when they do it's usually around earnings, and all one has to do is simply not trade around earnings dates.
Who wouldn't be happy making 9.5% in one month?
There is a level of risk for all people when it comes to options. They really are unfairly vilified. You can construct spreads like the examples I gave above to make the prob of profit > 95%. You won't make that much, but you can do that. You might make 3%. That's fine! You can do whatever you want.
I like the analogy of learning to ride a bike and speeding. So appropriate. Most people drive on or just above the speed limit and they get to point B from A just fine. Almost never get caught speeding. Might get caught speeding once every 10 years. Some people ride bikes conservatively and never get into crashes. Some mountain bike on steep hills and occasionally break bones. Option trading is exactly like that. Another reason why I think people are fearful of it is that you always hear of people getting their savings "wiped out" from option trading. How often do you hear people getting "wiped out" with buying and holding stock? The reality is while people usually don't get wiped out buying stock unless they buy speculative ones...but they do lose money. If you have owned GM over the past 10 years...you have probably lost money depending on where you bought it. Literally it would have been better to buy a 10-yr treasury bond.
Just don't do stupid, risky stuff and option trading can very easily increase your general rate of return by 10-25% / year. (Maybe more?) That is...if you expect to make market returns of 8%/year, then you can increase that to 10-12% / year. All you have to do is go 5 mph over the speed limit, and never go 100 when you think nobody is looking.