Becoming a member of......

Started by Peeshee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Peeshee

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'd like to know what association/organization you'd recommend becoming a member of for someone interested in a family practice residency. I've heard of AAFP but am wondering if this is the best one to join. Also, which one has the best deal for students on a limited budget?
THANKS!
 
Peeshee said:
Hi,
I'd like to know what association/organization you'd recommend becoming a member of for someone interested in a family practice residency. I've heard of AAFP but am wondering if this is the best one to join. Also, which one has the best deal for students on a limited budget?
THANKS!

AAFP is the only organization to join. it has everything you need. It costs 15 dollars for 4 years of medical school total. They will bill you if you join online. You have to already be in medical school though to join.
 
PACtoDOC said:
AAFP is the only organization to join. it has everything you need. It costs 15 dollars for 4 years of medical school total. They will bill you if you join online. You have to already be in medical school though to join.
I joined but don't seem to remember paying $15. Maybe I did. I don't know. b/t the AAFP journal and the NEJM I cannot keep up. They are piling up in my office. I do enjoy reading the online version of FPM though, good info for the future.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
raptor5 said:
I joined but don't seem to remember paying $15. QUOTE]

Sometimes if you contact the local chapter in your region they will pay your dues. I found the AAFP helpful. The local chapter is helping to start a family practice interest group at my school. A doctor in the area volunteered to mentor it and they got $1000/yr budget from somewhere. I like the magazines too. The quizzes make me feel sma-aht 😛
 
raptor5 said:
I joined but don't seem to remember paying $15. Maybe I did. I don't know. b/t the AAFP journal and the NEJM I cannot keep up. They are piling up in my office. I do enjoy reading the online version of FPM though, good info for the future.

:laugh:

I am the same way - I have a stack of NEJMs/AFPs that is probably taller than I am...too bad I've only read a handful of them.

And I don't remember paying $15 either. 😕
 
DOtobe said:
:laugh:

I am the same way - I have a stack of NEJMs/AFPs that is probably taller than I am...too bad I've only read a handful of them.

And I don't remember paying $15 either. 😕

I put my subscription of NEJM on hold until summer then I will put on hold until Xmas. I cannot keep up with a weekly journal, now.