Becoming a TX Resident..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be a CA and TX resident when applying to med school? I am a CA resident, but lets say I go to TX and do a postbacc over there for a year, will then I be considered a TX resident as well as a CA resident? Or what are the steps to become a resident of another state and still be considered a CA resident?

I am asking this questions because it seems TX residents have an easier time getting into their state med schools than CA residents into CA schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Not possible. AMCAS does not let you list more than one state of residence.

You have to pick a state...only one!

But, you can move to another state and establish residency.

Tx is alot easier to get than Cali.

Just check on what it takes to become a Tx resident before you make the move.....I would also try and make the decision look like you are doing it for a job or another reason....not simply to get into med school...schools can probably see through that!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't move here just for school to gain residency.

"A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas."

You can't move here just for school to gain residency.

"A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas."

Exactly...you have to buy some land and work a year maybe even two and then apply.....;)

Not possible. AMCAS does not let you list more than one state of residence.

You use TMDSAS for Texas schools and it is possible, it is a completely different application service. It may be as simple as having a mailing address or piece of property for a year or two. Or, do like I did and join the Texas national guard and go on a deployment to get automatic state residency. That would be dedication :D