Beeper call rate for CV coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProRealDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to ask fellow SDN'ers what would be considered fair hourly reimbursement for beeper call from home, if the rate of callbacks is close to zero.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to ask fellow SDN'ers what would be considered fair hourly reimbursement for beeper call from home, if the rate of callbacks is close to zero.

Would you get additional pay for coming in?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

The way I see it, it has multiple components:
1. the pay for being on call, just for carrying the pager and being available.
2. the pay for having to go in for a case.
3. the hourly pay while at the hospital.

I have heard about #1 being as little as $200, if chances of being called in are slim. I have also seen #3 being the usual hourly pay, with #2 being an extra hour. Of course, I don't recommend these rates, more like 50% higher.

You should also consider compensation for a lost day of work if you waste your night on a case while being paid peanuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
The way I see it, it has multiple components:
1. the pay for being on call, just for carrying the pager and being available.
2. the pay for having to go in for a case.
3. the hourly pay while at the hospital.

I have heard about #1 being as little as $200, if chances of being called in are slim. I have also seen #3 being the usual hourly pay, with #2 being an extra hour. Of course, I don't recommend these rates, more like 50% higher.

You should also consider compensation for a lost day of work if you waste your night on a case while being paid peanuts.

We have a blended unit. Callback for cardiac is about 1 in 5. Emergency cases pay the same as day work. Post call day is a normal day. The call pays about $600, $1000 for Saturday or Sunday. These rates have not proved to be market-clearing.

We have a blended unit. Callback for cardiac is about 1 in 5. Emergency cases pay the same as day work. Post call day is a normal day. The call pays about $600, $1000 for Saturday or Sunday. These rates have not proved to be market-clearing.

Those rates are a bit low, but try the same with a nice bonus for hourly if called in.
Emergency hearts almost always suck about 2x as much as a regular case.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
When I've done locums I typical get 1 hr of extra pay for caring the pager on a weeknight and 3 hrs for a weekend day. When you get called back you're on the clock.

When I've done locums I typical get 1 hr of extra pay for caring the pager on a weeknight and 3 hrs for a weekend day. When you get called back you're on the clock.

Definitely not worth it unless callback is VERY rare.

Call back on a weeknight is very rare. I agree with you on the weekend day. It's not worth staying in a hotel away from home for that. But the one day I did it I ended up working a lot and made like $4k.