before I put down money -- critique my DIY postbac plan:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Okay,

this is my current plan for the semester in the system, if I don't change anything in person:

PHYS 300-level Medical Physics (3 cr)
PHYS 300-level Adv Phys Lab 1 (2 cr)
PHYS graduate 500-level Biophysics
PSYC 200-level Social Psychology (4 cr)
SOCI 300-level Sociology of Gender (3 cr)

My current thinking is that since I already have ANTH 3480: Language and Prehistory from my undergrad (historical linguistics) which counts as behavioral science for AACOMAS, it would be a better choice to swap out PSYC 200-level: social psychology or SOCI 300-level: sociology of gender for either topics in microbiology (300-level 3 credit lecture: I already have a 3-credit microbiology lab from my undergrad) or Anatomy and Physiology (200 level / 4 cr with lab).

The first issue that prevents me from taking all the coursework I'd like is that social psych conflicts with A&P -- is one better than the other? (A&P takes more time out of my schedule being a lab BUT both are 4 credits.) The second issue I can just barely afford to pay for 16 credits out of pocket (almost 7k) but 19 or 22 credits would be pushing it both financially and in terms of balancing both my work life and academic courseload while maintaining a high GPA (the whole point of doing a DIY postbac).

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
 
help i have to pay for my coursework in 2 hours

is there any reason to have more sociology or psychology coursework than the prerequisites?

exchange Social Psych for Anatomy and Physiology 1, using Sociology of Gender as my second behavioral science prerequisite:

pros:
  • A&P seen as more rigorous and more med school like

cons:
  • i would give up extra mornings that would add up to 40-60 hours of volunteering a semester
  • would have to push back some of my other commitments including my road test (impacting EMT employment) and sacrifice tutoring slots and work shifts that could pay the bills
  • more stressed out in terms of traveling time
  • social psych still seen as relevant to medicine in some contexts


(not worried in terms of rigor)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Writing out the pros and cons this way (and talking it out with a few friends) crystallized my decision for me. I would have to file a registration appeal to exchange Social Psych for A&P 1 now because I already finalized my tuition payment plan: it's in-state CUNY tuition on 4-month installment plan so I'm only paying 1578.74 every month XD

(It's a lot more affordable than an SMP per credit hour .... so far....)

If I can get into the MS Biochemistry program, I'll take as many medically relevant courses as possible and also be able to borrow money so I don't have to fund my education out of pocket.