Begin as a DO then start over as MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceBrah

insufferable know-it-all
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed. I know we've talked about how it's impossible to transfer from DO to MD but...

Could you attend a DO school for year one, reapply MD, and start over?

I was thinking that maybe MD schools would appreciate the DO transcript, proving you can handle a tough course load. It sort of means you throw a year away technically, and wouldn't be too different from an SMP or a PostBac.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this has been discussed. I know we've talked about how it's impossible to transfer from DO to MD but...

I was thinking that maybe MD schools would appreciate the DO transcript, proving you can handle a tough course load. It sort of means you throw a year away technically, and wouldn't be too different from an SMP or a PostBac.
Pretty sure you'd just be blackballed for being a med school dropout.

Reactions: 21 users
I would assume they would just view it as you taking someone's spot in the DO class and then leaving, which would be bad

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This is just a very bad idea. If you don't wanna be a DO, don't go to DO school and leave your spot to someone who appreciates that privilege.

Reactions: 19 users
I didn't ask if I should do it, I asked if it was possible.

Not like it's my go to plan, I was just curious.

What about Caribbean ?

Reactions: 1 user

In what world would this be considered ok?

Your post screams of desperation. If you don't want to go to a DO school, don't apply. Keep applying MD until you get in, result to the Caribbean or change career focuses all together.

Any person who does this clearly doesn't really want to be a physician.

What about Caribbean ?
Haha well try it out and let us know. I can't imagine anyone has done this.

Reactions: 2 users
badsanta2.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
I could see it being a possibility if you accepted the invitation, realized DO wasn't really for you, and chose to redo another program.

If it would be just like doing an SMP, why not do that? You have to claim whether or not you have ever attended a medical school. This really would not work out for you.

Reactions: 5 users

What about Caribbean ?
IMO you would be looked at as an opportunist and someone who does not take commitments seriously. You also would appear to ONLY want the MD letters after your name with little to no regard for doing what both DO's and MD's do -- treat, and heal patients. Why does MD instead of DO mean so much to you?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I could see it being a possibility if you accepted the invitation, realized DO wasn't really for you, and chose to redo another program.
I'm not a DO student...but if you say that "DO" wasn't for you, you are also saying that medicine isn't for you. Above all, you are saying, "I sign up for things and don't follow through"/"I sign up for things without knowing what I'm doing".

Reactions: 14 users
What believable reasons could you possibly come up with that would make it that DO wasn't for you but you want to be an MD instead? I cannot imagine anyone would fall for your explanation.

Reactions: 6 users
Ok. I wasn't trying to be malicious. I was just curious.

I should have phrased it better. It's more like, I go to a DO school, I don't like it, can I leave and reapply to another school. I could transfer fine between DOs in my 3rd year, but if I really didn't like the philosophy as it is applied, could I switch programs? Some people are built for different things.

I know, shadow, research, the whole bit for everything, but you really don't know what you're doing until you do it. I think it's naive to think otherwise. There's plenty of people that dream of being doctors their whole lives and once they're in school they hate it. It happens. People switch undergraduate.

I understand that you all were upset because I painted DO as the B team. That wasn't my intention.

The same question would apply if I wanted to go from MD to DO.

I should have phrased it better. It's more like, I go to a DO school, I don't like it, can I leave and reapply to another school. I could transfer fine between DOs in my 3rd year, but if I really didn't like the philosophy as it is applied, could I switch programs? Some people are built for different things.

I know, shadow, research, the whole bit for everything, but you really don't know what you're doing until you do it. I think it's naive to think otherwise. There's plenty of people that dream of being doctors their whole lives and once they're in school they hate it. It happens. People switch undergraduate.

I understand that you all were upset because I painted DO as the B team. That wasn't my intention.
If you don't like the philosophy as it's applied...why would you apply to DO school? I knew I didn't want to learn OMM, so I didn't apply to DO school.

Reactions: 3 users

Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg

Reactions: 26 users
If you don't like the philosophy as it's applied...why would you apply to DO school? I knew I didn't want to learn OMM, so I didn't apply to DO school.
There are pro's and con's to every school. I might not like OMM (idk, I haven't decided) but I might like their work in undeserved areas or the innovative research.

Reactions: 1 users
Your "curiosity" is being generated by the fact that you don't want to have the DO initials after your name.
I might not like OMM (idk, I haven't decided)
Easy fix...go shadow a DO.
I might like their work in undeserved areas or the innovative research.
This is not exclusive to the DO world.

Reactions: 8 users

This decision should be made prior to application to the program. In most senarios people who have a MD acceptances will not choose DO over MD. The shortcomings in the MD app will not magically go away by matriculating into DO school. Furthermore schools are not in the business of poaching each other's matriculants. You might be able to swing it if you did something exceptional like win the fields medal, the Nobel prize or an academy award. But I don't think an om1 has ever done those things.

I just think that all ADCOMS would rake you over the coals about the "philosophy" differences. What exactly are the differences and why can you not practice medicine with the DO philosophy but now think you can within the MD "philosophy". Medicine is a service & scientific oriented field - not a philosophical venue.

I was just wondering if it was possible to start over in any discipline. MD or DO. I wan't coming up with a sneaky strategy or anything. Since all the forums say no to transfers between the disciplines, I was wondering that if you definitely decided no change, if you'd have to reapply.

I just think that all ADCOMS would rake you over the coals about the "philosophy" differences. What exactly are the differences and why can you not practice medicine with the DO philosophy but now think you can within the MD "philosophy". Medicine is a service & scientific oriented field - not a philosophical venue.
What I would personally argue would be that I can't stand practicing something that the scientific evidence doesn't support (OMM).

The answer is yes. You just need to find a program that will accept you. Expect a barrage of questions that you need to defend against.

I just have my preferences of schools all over the board, not really paying attention to DO/MD and I was just wondering that if (by the grace whoever) I get accepted to my top choice (hate it for whatever reason) could I respectfully bow out and attend somewhere else and if I'd get tied up in DO vs. MD issue.

I wasn't putting one over the other.

I just have my preferences of schools all over the board, not really paying attention to DO/MD and I was just wondering that if (by the grace whoever) I get accepted to my top choice (hate it for whatever reason) could I respectfully bow out and attend somewhere else and if I'd get tied up in DO vs. MD issue.

I wasn't putting one over the other.
Almost anything is possible, but you would probably have an easier time licking the back of your ear. Choose wisely.

The answer is yes. You just need to find a program that will accept you. Expect a barrage of questions that you need to defend against.
Why do you think this? Do you have any reason at all to really believe it? You seem to be making a lot of unfounded claims in this forum

I noticed that s/he still has not answered the question of why having the MD letters over the DO means so much to her.

I noticed that s/he still has not answered the question of why having the MD letters over the DO means so much to her.
Dude, don't you remember? It's the philosophy. Because, you know, we sit around philosophizing all day. And the MD philosophers hate the DO philosophers and vice versa.

Reactions: 6 users
Why do you think this? Do you have any reason at all to really believe it? You seem to be making a lot of unfounded claims in this forum
yeah b/c I know people who were DO and transferred to MD (though full disclaimer, not US schools). And thanks for calling me out w/o quoting my full comment buddy. I clearly stated that he would have to find a school that would accept him based on his circumstances.

yeah b/c I know people who were DO and transferred to MD (though full disclaimer, not US schools). And thanks for calling me out w/o quoting my full comment buddy. I clearly stated that he would have to find a school that would accept him based on his circumstances.
1) I really doubt OP would want to transfer from DO to a non-US MD school

2) I did quote your full post..

1) I really doubt OP would want to transfer from DO to a non-US MD school

2) I did quote your full post..
On this board it is generally accepted that USMD Grad > USDO Grad > FMS Grad

Are you sure they didn't just fail out of the do school?

I had a girl in my class that started with us and applied to MD schools during her first semester as a DO student, got accepted at an MD school, dropped out halfway through second semester, and started attending the MD school the following fall. Imo it was a pretty stupid move because she wasted around 45k in tuition and extended her time in med school an extra year, her choice though.

Well, there you go... Albeit incredibly unreasonable, I've always assumed it was possible. :shrug:

What about Caribbean ?
I had a girl in my class that started with us and applied to MD schools during her first semester as a DO student, got accepted at an MD school, dropped out halfway through second semester, and started attending the MD school the following fall. Imo it was a pretty stupid move because she wasted around 45k in tuition and extended her time in med school an extra year, her choice though.

But it does show that it might be possible. If I were and ADCOM I wold see right through the need for the imagined "status" of MD over the "lowly" DO, but obviously some do not.

The convergence of DO and MD is accelerating. Sometime within the next few decades there won't be any difference in the fields except for the title. For many intents and purposes (especially concerning primary care), they already are equal. No reason to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
...I came for the comments...stayed for the barrage

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No. Just no. Also, pro-tip, OP: being overly defensive just digs you further into the hole. You got your answer. Give it up already. You don't have to justify yourself to randos on the interwebs.