Begin as a DO then start over as MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like...who has that extra $60,000 lying around for a completely wasted year of schooling?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
But it does show that it might be possible. If I were and ADCOM I wold see right through the need for the imagined "status" of MD over the "lowly" DO, but obviously some do not.

Unfortunately the "imagined status" is very alive. There are still several fields where it is far more difficult for a DO to get into than an MD, and more than a few institutions that won't accept DOs for residency. I understand why someone would do it if they initially only got DO acceptances and knew 100% that they wanted to do something like integrated plastics or neurosurgery. But for someone that knows it's MD or bust or thinks going to DO school over an SMP is a better option, it's just dumb.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg
This will never get old -- I love it! I feel like everytime someone uses it they owe @ThoracicGuy a dime.

Also OP: Why would you shoot yourself in the foot? Because that's what this sounds like

Reactions: 1 user
but if I really didn't like the philosophy as it is applied,

There is no philosophy.

I get accepted to my top choice (hate it for whatever reason) could I respectfully bow out and attend somewhere else and i

No. This is such a millenial view, "oh I made this rash decision and now I'm not so sure about it and I want to switch to something else that I'm not so sure about completely disregarding the money and time of other people"

Reactions: 7 users
There is no philosophy.

No. This is such a millenial view, "oh I made this rash decision and now I'm not so sure about it and I want to switch to something else that I'm not so sure about completely disregarding the money and time of other people"
Those darned millennials, the only generation ever that older generations have thought was entitled and irresponsible :p

Reactions: 9 users
Yes you can do this. I know someone personally who went to a DO school for a year and retook the MCAT during that year, reaaplied and was accepted to a USMD school. They made him start from first year again and he just ate the 1 year of DO tuition. Ironically he did a family medicine residency that has DOs from his original school in the program lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
This will never get old -- I love it! I feel like everytime someone uses it they owe @ThoracicGuy a dime.

Also OP: Why would you shoot yourself in the foot? Because that's what this sounds like
Or Kanye. He needs the royalty fees

So assuming this is just a hypothetical question I will play along. Is it possible? I would say yes. Is it possible to win the powerball? Yes. You would have to reapply through the cycle as a standard M.D. candidate. You wouldn't be able to just "transfer" due to two different systems. Going through the cycle, many adcoms would be very leery of even giving you an II because they will see you was a one year medical student and quit because you didn't like the philosophy. If you are going to do that the go ahead and try to go to the NFL,MLB,NBA as well because there is a possibility you may land a fat contract and be an all star. More money, less debt :cool:

I feel like we've had to use that "BRUH" meme a lot recently.

And we'd crucify someone over this for their poor judgment.

I just think that all ADCOMS would rake you over the coals about the "philosophy" differences. What exactly are the differences and why can you not practice medicine with the DO philosophy but now think you can within the MD "philosophy". Medicine is a service & scientific oriented field - not a philosophical venue.

It would show adcoms that you're an idiot.

Reactions: 4 users
This is LITERALLY the stupidest thing I have ever heard on SDN.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those darned millennials, the only generation ever that older generations have thought was entitled and irresponsible :p

Nah the difference is that I am a millennial too and I am appalled at the level of entitlement some of my peers have. It's a product of everyone getting a trophy for everything they do from the age of 6 on.

Reactions: 5 users
Nah the difference is that I am a millennial too and I am appalled at the level of entitlement some of my peers have. It's a product of everyone getting a trophy for everything they do from the age of 6 on.
Edit: I really don't see what's so bad about telling first graders they did a good job when they try hard even if they don't win. They're kids. The time for intense competition is much later

Last edited:
I think it's kind of clear that OP doesn't think he/she can get into an MD schools so going to a DO school would be an audition to get into an MD school. SMP is probably a better alternative to show MD schools you can handle medical school.

Why tho? There is no point in doing this at all. Just so a smp then.

Dubs play the Clippers tonight at 10:30 pm (or 7:30 pm for those of you fortunate enough to be on the best coast :)

Should be a lot more fun than this thread!

Reactions: 4 users
Edit: I really don't see what's so bad about telling first graders they did a good job when they try hard even if they don't win. They're kids. The time for intense competition is much later

It's not the fact that they are told good job, it's not ever telling them that they are doing something wrong that is the issue.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not the fact that they are told good job, it's not ever telling them that they are doing something wrong that is the issue.
Any data to support the idea that this actually has any significant long-term negative impacts on kids? I just don't buy it, but I'd be happy to read some studies about it if I'm wrong. I've been studying developmental psychology for a few years now and the only thing I've heard is that this has led to a mild spike in narcissism among college students, so the benefits (e.g. increased self-esteem and subjective reports of well-being) of excessive positive reinforcement and insufficient criticism in childhood certainly seem to outweigh the negative consequences, in my opinion.

Why do you want to go through hell twice?

Like 2nd grade?

What a stupid idea. Now I've got new material for that thread "dumb things Pre meds have said."

Reactions: 3 users
Any person who does this clearly doesn't really want to be a physician.

Not strictly speaking. A person who does this might just value becoming a physician LESS than appearances. People can have multiple motivations for entering this career pathway.

I'm sure money has nothing to do with your motivation to be in this field? Well then you must be in it for the money and could never be a good physician!!1!!1!1!

Not strictly speaking. A person who does this might just value becoming a physician LESS than appearances. People can have multiple motivations for entering this career pathway.

I'm sure money has nothing to do with your motivation to be in this field? Well then you must be in it for the money and could never be a good physician!!1!!1!1!

What?

Someone who has these kinds of thoughts especially before applying -- dropping out of a program just to attend another clearly wouldn't want it bad enough.

I'm thinking if being a physician AT ALL is the end goal then it wouldn't matter how one gets to that goal.

Talking about motivations to become a physician is an entirely different topic and is irrelevant to this post. Everyone has their own motivations

What?

Someone who has these kinds of thoughts especially before applying -- dropping out of a program just to attend another clearly wouldn't want it bad enough.

I'm thinking if being a physician AT ALL is the end goal then it wouldn't matter how one gets to that goal.

Talking about motivations to become a physician is an entirely different topic and is irrelevant to this post. Everyone has their own motivations

You are making a disjointed and incoherent argument by moving goals posts.

I'm not defending the motivation.

It's asinine.

but your assertion is irritating suggesting this individual is out of line for asking the question. There are many like him... I'm sure many are DOs right now. Doesn't mean I'm one of them... just means it's dumb but not out of left field entirely.

It's asinine.

but your assertion is irritating suggesting this individual is out of line for asking the question. There are many like him... I'm sure many are DOs right now. Doesn't mean I'm one of them... just means it's dumb but not out of left field entirely.

It's asinine.

It's very out of line...whether it's just curiosity or something that others have actually considered or done.

Edit: Also, it's very contradictory to say something is asinine and then follow it up by saying others may have considered this and that it is "dumb but not out of left field."

You either discourage an idea or question or you encourage it, no in between.

I, personally, feel that this questions how bad someone really wants to be a physician not WHY someone wants to be a physician; I'm not being specific here.

At the end of the day, I'm entitled to my opinions and my statements and will respond how I feel fit regardless of whether my arguments come off as incoherent to you. I'm my own person and couldn't care less about your irrelevant examples about motivations to becoming a physician.

Last edited:
It's very out of line...whether it's just curiosity or something that others have actually considered or done.

Edit: Also, it's very contradictory to say something is asinine and then follow it up by saying others may have considered this and that it is "dumb but not out of left field."

You either discourage an idea or question or you encourage it, no in between.

I, personally, feel that this questions how bad someone really wants to be a physician not WHY someone wants to be a physician; I'm not being specific here.

At the end of the day, I'm entitled to my opinions and my statements and will respond how I feel fit regardless of whether my arguments come off as incoherent to you. I'm my own person and couldn't care less about your irrelevant examples about motivations to becoming a physician.

You are the one who first judged his(or her) intentions in entering the field. I have been reacting since that time... these are not my "irrelevant examples"... if you look through these threads as long as I have you will see an annual showing of threads regarding DO to MD pathways or conversion of the DO degree, etc. they are typically by premeds who deep-down have fears that they will invest their education into a field that will somehow be less respected, negating their hard work. In some instances, sure, it may be due to vanity... but I don't know that it is fair to judge all who bring this up as being ridiculous. Perhaps guidance would be of greater benefit than judgement.

Who are you to judge what constitutes a "good" physician or to judge who "really wants it"?

You are the one who first judged his(or her) intentions in entering the field. I have been reacting since that time... these are not my "irrelevant examples"... if you look through these threads as long as I have you will see an annual showing of threads regarding DO to MD pathways or conversion of the DO degree, etc. they are typically by premeds who deep-down have fears that they will invest their education into a field that will somehow be less respected, negating their hard work. In some instances, sure, it may be due to vanity... but I don't know that it is fair to judge all who bring this up as being ridiculous. Perhaps guidance would be of greater benefit than judgement.

Who are you to judge what constitutes a "good" physician or to judge who "really wants it"?

That's what humans do, we judge. Just like you made a judgment and called it asinine. What do you think an adcom would do in this situation? Make a judgment.

If this is how you feel, then you owe an argument to everyone here who disagreed or offered their two cents.

You're examples are irrelevant to what my response was about, so yeah it's irrelevant.

I never said anything about being a good or bad physician, you created that idea. Or maybe you JUDGED my posts and arrived at that conclusion.

We can agree to disagree, or whatever applies here. Just keep it at you believing it to be asinine and me questioning how bad someone wants to be a physician.

Why pick my post out of everyone else's to attack my thoughts? Oh you thought I would change my mind or feel ashamed of what I said?

I won't allow you to make me feel as if I should be restricted from responding on here, even if it is SDN.

You can try that oppression on someone else and go take a nap.

That's what humans do, we judge. Just like you made a judgment and called it asinine. What do you think an adcom would do in this situation? Make a judgment.

If this is how you feel, then you owe an argument to everyone here who disagreed or offered their two cents.

You're examples are irrelevant to what my response was about, so yeah it's irrelevant.

I never said anything about being a good or bad physician, you created that idea. Or maybe you JUDGED my posts and arrived at that conclusion.

We can agree to disagree, or whatever applies here. Just keep it at you believing it to be asinine and me questioning how bad someone wants to be a physician.

Why pick my post out of everyone else's to attack my thoughts? Oh you thought I would change my mind or feel ashamed of what I said?

I won't allow you to make me feel as if I should be restricted from responding on here, even if it is SDN.

You can try that oppression on someone else and go take a nap.

I quoted what I didn't like about your original response. Made it very clear what separated it from the others.

Sigh. No way we see eye to eye on this one. I think you are tilting at windmills.

The good news is we are in agreement about the idea.

Onward...

Last edited:
I could transfer fine between DOs in my 3rd year

No you can't. It's possible, but it's very difficult, you have to have extenuating circumstances, and the stars must align.. it's no different than transferring within MD programs. It's possible there too, but it doesn't happen without the previously stated.

It's a product of everyone getting a trophy for everything they do from the age of 6 on.

Even if these hypothetical trophies are being handed out, who are the ones doing it? Millennials as well? Did millennial 6 year olds somehow corrupt adults into doing that?

Even if these hypothetical trophies are being handed out, who are the ones doing it? Millennials as well? Did millennial 6 year olds somehow corrupt adults into doing that?
See, there's that Millennial sense of entitlement, demanding explanations. Why can't you be more like @AnatomyGrey12 , one of the rare and special Millennials who managed to escape the feeling that they were inherently rare and special?

In all seriousness, though, I don't think that OP is actually asking if they should go to DO school for a year and then switch to MD school. I'm no expert, so I don't really have an answer to how plausible that scenario is. However, I do wonder if it might have been more or less possible many years ago, when DO and MD were more distinct than they are currently.

See, there's that Millennial sense of entitlement, demanding explanations. Why can't you be more like @AnatomyGrey12 , one of the rare and special Millennials who managed to escape the feeling that they were inherently rare and special?

In all seriousness, though, I don't think that OP is actually asking if they should go to DO school for a year and then switch to MD school. I'm no expert, so I don't really have an answer to how plausible that scenario is. However, I do wonder if it might have been more or less possible many years ago, when DO and MD were more distinct than they are currently.
Seriously though let's blame the children. Adults complaining about this had nothing to do with this. While we are at it lets tell people suffering from PTSD that it is their fault.

Seriously though let's blame the children. Adults complaining about this had nothing to do with this. While we are at it lets tell people suffering from PTSD that it is their fault.

Have I ever said it was the kids fault? I said giving out trophies for anything and everything from a young age on has created the sense of entitlement. I have never placed blame on the children.

Why would you want to do this? You can do virtually everything possible as a physician if you complete a DO degree with a good GPA and score well on the COMLEX and/or USMLE that you could with an MD.

I would consider this transferring strategy more from a Caribbean school than a DO program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile