Beginning the process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amedeesse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a (soon to be) 30 year-old LPN that is getting ready to go back for my Bs in Psychology in hopes of continuing on to med school at some point. Right now I'm having some anxiety about money because I'm going to have to work through school to be able to pay my bills and such. Any tips for how to get past the anxiety I'm feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Attained my RN first. Worked all throughout and was able to pay for all of my undergrad, bachelor's and my wife's BSN (both of us paid this). I took 5500$ out for my last two semesters as it was either deplete my savings (wasn't comfortable doing this with two kids or loans).

Consider doing your BSN instead? Could just take a year for your RN and begin working higher pay (and generally more desirable jobs). Then do your rn to bsn online. I did that, took 2-3 BSN courses a semester along side my pre med reqs.

If not, it still is doable as an LPN for sure. I know LVNs as nursing homes working the weekend doubles. Would have all week off. Student loans are not the worst thing. Just be sensible. You have a mean to paying them off.

Whats your plan exactly? Community college first?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Plan is CLEP what I can, and community college first, then move on to a larger state university.

While I know doing my RN BSN would allow for better jobs, I literally have no passion for nursing; I love my patients, I love my coworker, but this part of medical isn't for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Then just make sure you pick a major you can ACE (~ 3.7+ gpa). Psychology could prove to be especially useful with the new MCAT section

I wouldnt CLEP any of the core requisites - gen chem 1&2, gen bio 1&2 (all need to be for science majors), physics 1&2. 6 hrs of English (may not matter) or statistics. Doubt you'd have an option for orgo or biochemistry.

Been out of school awhile? Take your time. Dont rush into 15 hrs a semester. You can work up to more hrs, but, GPA can become tricky to fix long-term if you let it drift down. Your healthcare experience will be fine. I would just start some intermittent volunteer activity (this really matters to some schools).

Also, make a strong point to establish relationships with faculty. As a working student when it came to letters of reccomendation from science professors, it was cutting it close but i made it work (definitely get at least two, or, alternatively, pre-med committee).

Big picture: take your time, no shortcuts in this path. Make sure you take biochemistry as well.

I'm very lucky in the fact that I have a good friend that is a Physician and he's been pep talking me for a while, but the literal anxiety of knowing it's tough and that I need to work is weighing on me. As far as CLEP I planned on doing just the basics (the easier maths, English, any other really easy things to cut down on build up on my true science classes). I really want to be able to focus on the meat and potatoes of what I need instead of wasting resources on the fluff classes such as intro to college math for example.

I feel like now is the perfect time in my life since I'm not married, no kids plus I know I love medicine and the work.

Reactions: 1 user
Just know up front you are taking the long, "less traveled" path. You can absolutely do it. Your fortitude will depend on how bad you want it.

Beginning of nursing: i was a bit jaded, definitely discontent and when i was taking general chemistry and then orgo/physics i was stressed. Can be overwhelming. It's a long process though and there will be highs and lows. Sounds like you have a good mentor. I did the same and that can help a lot to keep in mind what you are working towards.