Being a pharmacist a really hard job and stressing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never mind; I guess we're acting like we're twelve.

Who's gonna start with the "your momma" jokes??

Okay, sorry. I couldn't help it, I actually do know a satanist in real life so I had to add to that.

Anyways back to topic.

I have only worked at Walgreens and its stressful b/c:

1) Walgreens is cheap and want you to multitask like crazy. Pick up the phone, fill, type a million scripts with NO mistakes (which I am great at NOW, finally:rolleyes:), figure out insurance, call doctors, etc.

2) People coming up and asking you a million questions. I don't mind talking to people, but when I have a million things to do its very annoying for me to have to put everything down and talk. Especially since there are people that are always wanting to talk to me about non-pharmacy related stuff. I am NOT your therapist or friend. I don't like people that I am not very good friends with to ask me about my life nor do I want to hear them talk about their own. Again, if I was bored out of my mind and had nothing to do I won't mind. But since I have a million things to do I would really appreciate it if people would stop trying to start random conversations with me at work.

3) People coming up to me and asking me where things are at in front of the store. WHY NOT ask people in the front of the store?? I don't work in the front, so how should I know?

4) people wanting to check out their items in the pharmacy. Again, go to the FRONT of the store. I am not a cashier.

The actual work I don't mind. I like learning new drugs, typing, verfiering scripts, filling, etc. Insurance is okay, I learn fast it doesn't bother me much. So the actual job is fine, its really just the people.

So I am in the process of trying Target Pharmacy (no drive thru), if I don't like it there then I will do mail order. The only stress about mail order is you have to type a lot of scripts per hour/you have to be almost perfect in accuracy. Which I don't mind b/c I pick up on new things quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, sorry. I couldn't help it, I actually do know a satanist in real life so I had to add to that.

Anyways back to topic.

I have only worked at Walgreens and its stressful b/c:

1) Walgreens is cheap and want you to multitask like crazy. Pick up the phone, fill, type a million scripts with NO mistakes (which I am great at NOW, finally:rolleyes:), figure out insurance, call doctors, etc.

2) People coming up and asking you a million questions. I don't mind talking to people, but when I have a million things to do its very annoying for me to have to put everything down and talk. Especially since there are people that are always wanting to talk to me about non-pharmacy related stuff. I am NOT your therapist or friend. I don't like people that I am not very good friends with to ask me about my life nor do I want to hear them talk about their own. Again, if I was bored out of my mind and had nothing to do I won't mind. But since I have a million things to do I would really appreciate it if people would stop trying to start random conversations with me at work.

3) People coming up to me and asking me where things are at in front of the store. WHY NOT ask people in the front of the store?? I don't work in the front, so how should I know?

4) people wanting to check out their items in the pharmacy. Again, go to the FRONT of the store. I am not a cashier.

The actual work I don't mind. I like learning new drugs, typing, verfiering scripts, filling, etc. Insurance is okay, I learn fast it doesn't bother me much. So the actual job is fine, its really just the people.

So I am in the process of trying Target Pharmacy (no drive thru), if I don't like it there then I will do mail order. The only stress about mail order is you have to type a lot of scripts per hour/you have to be almost perfect in accuracy. Which I don't mind b/c I pick up on new things quickly.

Bolded portions are really confusing and contradictory.

And this thread sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have never been in a retail pharmacy and are considering a field in pharmacy I would encourage getting pharmacy experience. I have worked in a hospital and two different retail pharmacies and they are all completely different. The hospital pharmacy and the pharmacy in a grocerey store is BORING alot of doing nothing. However I now work in a super busy walgreens and some days feel like I'm drowning and want to leave and never come back. Its harder when you don't have the hours to have the staff and patients can be more irritating than dealing with a tired child. I have seen a alot of interns that have not retail experience never come back after coming to my store (no call/no show). If want to go to pharmacy school work in a pharmacy because you will learn alot and also be able decide if you can hack it. And don't treat the tech like your better than them if your an intern b/c they will correct you any chance they get and make you feel like an idiot. Be nice and they will help you out and show you tips and short cuts.

Bolded portions are really confusing and contradictory.

And this thread sucks.

What I mean to say is I am the best at typing many scripts with little to no error. When I am a pharmacist I am confident that I can check many scripts with little to no error as well. The main thing that mail order pharmacy looks at is script count and accuracy, so its the best option for me if Target Pharmacy doesn't work out.

If you have never been in a retail pharmacy and are considering a field in pharmacy I would encourage getting pharmacy experience. I have worked in a hospital and two different retail pharmacies and they are all completely different. The hospital pharmacy and the pharmacy in a grocerey store is BORING alot of doing nothing. However I now work in a super busy walgreens and some days feel like I'm drowning and want to leave and never come back. Its harder when you don't have the hours to have the staff and patients can be more irritating than dealing with a tired child. I have seen a alot of interns that have not retail experience never come back after coming to my store (no call/no show). If want to go to pharmacy school work in a pharmacy because you will learn alot and also be able decide if you can hack it. And don't treat the tech like your better than them if your an intern b/c they will correct you any chance they get and make you feel like an idiot. Be nice and they will help you out and show you tips and short cuts.

I rather have boring than a million people bothering me at one time. I would never work at a grocery store b/c the pay is way too low. Target is your best bet.

And I know an intern that has DRE% higher than me, but thinks she is smarter. I am a tech with no certification or experience and I still made LESS errors than her. :laugh:

I rather have boring than a million people bothering me at one time. I would never work at a grocery store b/c the pay is way too low. Target is your best bet.

And I know an intern that has DRE% higher than me, but thinks she is smarter. I am a tech with no certification or experience and I still made LESS errors than her. :laugh:

Not trying to be mean but do you truly know what you're talking about? I've worked at Target, CVS, Publix, and now a private pharmacy and Target is by NO means your "best bet"...every one of the places the pharmacists made more money than the ones at target. And target, although their systems have changed now, had one of the most stressful and ridiculus systems ever. But whatever goodluck

Not trying to be mean but do you truly know what you're talking about? I've worked at Target, CVS, Publix, and now a private pharmacy and Target is by NO means your "best bet"...every one of the places the pharmacists made more money than the ones at target. And target, although their systems have changed now, had one of the most stressful and ridiculus systems ever. But whatever goodluck

When did I say Target pays the most money? I say Target is your best bet if you want lower stress. CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc are places with higher stress.
Obviously private pharmacies are even better but you have to have connections to work there. Someone that owns a private pharmacy will only hire friends/relatives most likely.
I prefer mail order and will most likely go that route anyways.

Apparently not cause she said so herself! I don't think there's anything to brag about when you aren't certified and have very limited experience at one pharmacy. Anyways, why does it matter who's smarter? This person is an intern and you aren't yet, so I'd bet that they have way more knowledge than you do at this point!

Apparently not cause she said so herself! I don't think there's anything to brag about when you aren't certified and have very limited experience at one pharmacy. Anyways, why does it matter who's smarter? This person is an intern and you aren't yet, so I'd bet that they have way more knowledge than you do at this point!

Well and I don't know what YOU have to brag about, you are nothing, but a troll. Pharmacists, Techs, Interns, garbage man, strippers. Are all better/smarter than you, so what is it that you are bragging about again?

You don't even know what you are talking about, go back to high school. The pharmacist likes me better than that intern, my DRE % is lower than hers, I am going to a better pharmacy school etc. I don't know why you think you are smarter, you are nothing but a Troll with no life who knows what you really are. You have never even stepped foot in a pharmacy before so please don't talk and make a fool of yourself once again. Please stop stalking me and stop trolling SDN. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Last edited:
You don't even know what you are talking about, go back to high school. The pharmacist likes me better than that intern, my DRE % is lower than hers, I am going to a better pharmacy school etc. You have never even stepped foot in a pharmacy before so please don't talk and make a fool of yourself once again. Please stop stalking me and stop trolling SDN. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

First off, how do you know what experience I have or don't have? Oh wait, it's cause you know everything right? Actually I have 3 years under my belt in retail and 1 year in industry. LOL

what's with all the high school comments? is that the best that you can come up with? :sleep:

First off, how do you know what experience I have or don't have? Oh wait, it's cause you know everything right? Actually I have 3 years under my belt in retail and 1 year in industry. LOL

what's with all the high school comments? is that the best that you can come up with? :sleep:

3 years in retail and 1 year in industry. First of all you have to be at least 18 years of age to be a pharmacy techinican. So you are telling me that you got a pharmacy tech job at 15/16? Thats not only impossible, but not to mention who on earth will possibly hire anyone like you??? I doubt it and so does all the other posters in this thread! :laugh:God, you really suck at lying its NO WONDER you are making threads about how to be a good liar during an interview. :thumbdown:

Well and I don't know what YOU have to brag about, you are nothing, but a troll. Pharmacists, Techs, Interns, garbage man, strippers. Are all better/smarter than you, so what is it that you are bragging about again?

I'm just gonna let you keep typing because the more that you type, the more others on here can see what you're really made up of. Your abilities to deal with confrontation are truly abysmal at best. Thank god chardorn and aboveliquidice put you in your place in the other thread! I have to commend you though, you've refrained from using obscenities. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
3 years in retail and 1 year in industry. First of all you have to be at least 18 years of age to be a pharmacy techinican. So you are telling me that you got a pharmacy tech job at 15/16? Thats not only impossible, but not to mention who on earth will possibly hire anyone like you??? I doubt it and so does all the other posters in this thread! :laugh:God, you really suck at lying its NO WONDER you are making threads about how to be a good liar during an interview. :thumbdown:

have you ever heard of volunteering during high school? :sleep:

I'm just gonna let you keep typing because the more that you type, the more others on here can see what you're really made up of. Your abilities to deal with confrontation are truly abysmal at best. Thank god chardorn and aboveliquidice put you in your place in the other thread! I have to commend you though, you've refrained from using obscenities. :thumbup:

What NO more lies or attempts to defend your lies? thats a shock! :eek:

Since when do retail pharmacies take volunteer workers?? Please make up a better lie. And volunteering to sweep,take out the trash, and count pills doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else on here.

Look no one likes you on here, the moderators have to feel sorry for you b/c its their JOB. Everyone else on here wants you gone or at least change your screename and make up lies in another forum. :rolleyes:

You don't even know what you are talking about, go back to high school. The pharmacist likes me better than that intern, my DRE % is lower than hers, I am going to a better pharmacy school etc. I don't know why you think you are smarter, you are nothing but a Troll with no life who knows what you really are. You have never even stepped foot in a pharmacy before so please don't talk and make a fool of yourself once again. Please stop stalking me and stop trolling SDN. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

I've been away from sdn for awhile and now there's all this cattyness on here! :eek:

SHC, you're making assumptions about psi which is causing much of the ruckus on here. It is totally possible that he has that many years of experience as I also volunteered during hs. Just because you don't believe that someone that is 20 got into pharmacy school and has that extensive a background in pharmacy, doesn't mean they are lying. I know several classmates that knew they wanted to pursue pharmacy in hs and thus they have many years of experience be it volunteering or technician(and experience is experience).

What I mean to say is I am the best at typing many scripts with little to no error. When I am a pharmacist I am confident that I can check many scripts with little to no error as well. The main thing that mail order pharmacy looks at is script count and accuracy, so its the best option for me if Target Pharmacy doesn't work out.

First you say it's taken you a long time to learn how to type the scrips with little to no error, then you say it's easy for you to pick up new things, and typing with precision and accuracy in a different way (for a different company) will also be easy.

You can understand how these two statements do not make sense.

First you say it's taken you a long time to learn how to type the scrips with little to no error, then you say it's easy for you to pick up new things, and typing with precision and accuracy in a different way (for a different company) will also be easy.

You can understand how these two statements do not make sense.

Yeah it took me 2 and a half months to get my accuracy. However, during my first month I didn't even really try b/c no one told me that Walgreens look at DRE percentages. I figure it will be the same typing for another company b/c a script is a script...lortab, proair, etc. will not get any harder to type/understand just because I am at a different pharmacy. Either you know it or not.
I meant to say insurance. I picked up on insurance pretty quickly.

I agree that there is much too much cattiness here! The OP was asking if pharmacy is a stressful job..can't we just stick to the topic?
There is no reason for psi to lie about his experience in pharmacy. And there is no reason for SHC to be so much on the attack.

Relax people, answer the OPs questions!

My response: From my experience, pharmacy can be very stressful (and I work at Target SHC) when you have a lot of problems all at once. However, for the most part, it's very rewarding. Being able to help people without too much of a time constraint is really the biggest pro in pharmacy for me.
The best way to find out if it's for you is to get some experience. You can't learn from other people's experiences, everyone is different!

I don't know if its just me, but i think a ban is on call for SHC1984. Every thread that she has posted in has turned into a argument.... while every other thread proceeds normally. Hmmm... coincidence? I think not.

Anyone else agree?

Oh and to the OP, i only have experience as a volunteer in a hospital so I'm not sure how much I can add. It seems that most of the stress is because of the current hiring freeze and lack of enough employment....

There will always be a level of stress in a professional position though, keep that in mind

I don't know if its just me, but i think a ban is on call for SHC1984. Every thread that she has posted in has turned into a argument.... while every other thread proceeds normally. Hmmm... coincidence? I think not.

Anyone else agree?

:thumbup:

I think any profession where a mistake can easily cause the death of a human being is one that can create a great deal of stress on the professional. That is obviously a drastic oversimplification of what causes duress for employees in a work setting but if I had to peg just ONE part of working in a pharmacy, even in the technician capacity that I'm currently in, it's the idea that a pharmacist is the gate-keeper of drugs and their intxns and responsible on a daily basis for hundreds of lives (barring the standard dispensing of Lexapro) in a clinical setting that causes me some panic. Perhaps because I've been close to my own mortality in the military or perhaps because having that level of responsibility again purturbs me, but I think that's definitely one of the most stressful aspects of the Pharmacist's job.

I think any profession where a mistake can easily cause the death of a human being is one that can create a great deal of stress on the professional. That is obviously a drastic oversimplification of what causes duress for employees in a work setting but if I had to peg just ONE part of working in a pharmacy, even in the technician capacity that I'm currently in, it's the idea that a pharmacist is the gate-keeper of drugs and their intxns and responsible on a daily basis for hundreds of lives (barring the standard dispensing of Lexapro) in a clinical setting that causes me some panic. Perhaps because I've been close to my own mortality in the military or perhaps because having that level of responsibility again purturbs me, but I think that's definitely one of the most stressful aspects of the Pharmacist's job.

That is true, Passion4Sci. I think that this aspect of pharmacy does make me nervous. To me, this is really good motivation to work really hard and make sure I know as much as possible and can apply that knowledge to the real world.

this thread has taken a turn for the worst haha. Also shc i wouldn't call customers idiots, just misinformed. I can't tell you how many times i've heard "but i thought" and i try to put my parents in their spot and realize...my parents wouldn't know the answer to that either.

When is it stressful....hmmm...i'd say last night when all our phones were down and no one could call their meds in was pretty stressful. I had to deal with an onslaught of MY DOC COULDN'T CALL THIS IN and say I'M REALLY SORRY MAAM.

Oh and to the OP, i only have experience as a volunteer in a hospital so I'm not sure how much I can add. It seems that most of the stress is because of the current hiring freeze and lack of enough employment....

There will always be a level of stress in a professional position though, keep that in mind
can you really make that generalization...being here since start of june?

this thread has taken a turn for the worst haha. Also shc i wouldn't call customers idiots, just misinformed. I can't tell you how many times i've heard "but i thought" and i try to put my parents in their spot and realize...my parents wouldn't know the answer to that either.

When is it stressful....hmmm...i'd say last night when all our phones were down and no one could call their meds in was pretty stressful. I had to deal with an onslaught of MY DOC COULDN'T CALL THIS IN and say I'M REALLY SORRY MAAM.

You're SO lucky that your Pharmacy isn't doing that eRx bull$h!t.

I feel for you on the phones going down, but holy crap, even when the eRx system is working "fine", it's a clusterfox.

haha we do erx's

yesterday i got a script for (this is not her name but an example) debra and doc typed it in as dera, so the inexperienced tech makes a new profile for dera when debra had the same dob/address. Hmmm.

haha we do erx's

yesterday i got a script for (this is not her name but an example) debra and doc typed it in as dera, so the inexperienced tech makes a new profile for dera when debra had the same dob/address. Hmmm.

LOL - The worst part about it is, it's not even necessarily the physicians typing them... It is almost always the barely-high school graduate level secretary/assistant typing the things, even for Sched I and II... it's amazing.

I vote that we hijack this thread and turn it into the 'official' unofficial Pre-Pharm Off Topic Thread.

Why don't we have one of those, anyway?

I vote that we hijack this thread and turn it into the 'official' unofficial Pre-Pharm Off Topic Thread.

Because the question gets answered in 3 or 4 posts and then there's nothing left to talk about, thus turning the thread into off-topic really fast.

A better solution to all of these derailed threads is to lock every thread automatically at, say, 10 or 15 posts, and then if more discussion is truly needed, a moderator can unlock it.

because we'd be talking about what i want to have for dinner right now...hmmmm.

Yeah it took me 2 and a half months to get my accuracy. However, during my first month I didn't even really try b/c no one told me that Walgreens look at DRE percentages. I figure it will be the same typing for another company b/c a script is a script...lortab, proair, etc. will not get any harder to type/understand just because I am at a different pharmacy. Either you know it or not.
I meant to say insurance. I picked up on insurance pretty quickly.

So you only tried for accuracy when you knew that Walgreens looked at DRE percentages??

(Sorry, everyone. I know I should leave this argument alone, but for some reason the idea that we should only strive for good work when it's being measured kind of bugs me. It's like only worrying about getting an A in a class instead of learning the material. That's fine for the short run but can definitely hurt you in the future.)

Your wish is my command. I figured the pharm thread shouldn't be the only one with an off-topic thread!

So you only tried for accuracy when you knew that Walgreens looked at DRE percentages??

(Sorry, everyone. I know I should leave this argument alone, but for some reason the idea that we should only strive for good work when it's being measured kind of bugs me. It's like only worrying about getting an A in a class instead of learning the material. That's fine for the short run but can definitely hurt you in the future.)

I didn't know it was looked at before so I didn't try my best at it. That doesn't mean I was lazy or didn't care about it, but I was super careful once I realize it was looked at.

Yes, same went with grades and the same goes with everything you do in life. When I was in undergrad I got A(s) in everything b/c I know its important. At Columbia dental everything was Pass/Fail so I made B(s) and C(s) and still Passed everything when I was there. Did I learn the material better at A or B or C? I say about the same. Except when I had an A, I did more studying on random little details along with the big picture. When I made Bs or Cs I stop studying random little things and just skipped to the big picture. I was living in New York City, so I was having a lot more fun than I was studying. :)

upsthisthreaddelivers.jpg

I didn't know it was looked at before so I didn't try my best at it. That doesn't mean I was lazy or didn't care about it, but I was super careful once I realize it was looked at.

Yes, same went with grades and the same goes with everything you do in life. When I was in undergrad I got A(s) in everything b/c I know its important. At Columbia dental everything was Pass/Fail so I made B(s) and C(s) and still Passed everything when I was there. Did I learn the material better at A or B or C? I say about the same. Except when I had an A, I did more studying on random little details along with the big picture. When I made Bs or Cs I stop studying random little things and just skipped to the big picture. I was living in New York City, so I was having a lot more fun than I was studying. :)

I'd say you learned the material less when you got a B or C. Those little details are often exceptions and are important. I made mostly A's in undergrad, but every once in awhile, especially when I was interviewing for grad school, I'd get B's. And I can tell you I didn't know the info as well.

I'd say you learned the material less when you got a B or C. Those little details are often exceptions and are important. I made mostly A's in undergrad, but every once in awhile, especially when I was interviewing for grad school, I'd get B's. And I can tell you I didn't know the info as well.

Sometimes getting an A doesn't equal to knowing the material well or more. Some people might know everything in the book/from the lecture and that's why they got an A, while others may be good test takers or just know what materials will be on the test so they just focus on studying those materials. I would say the people who just focus on studying whatever is on the test would probably end up getting an A on the test but it doesn't mean that they know the materials more or well. In any case, I am not saying that people who get A's don't know their material well, I am just saying that those who got an A in the class doesn't necessarily = they know more than the ones who got a B.

Sometimes getting an A doesn't equal to knowing the material well or more. Some people might know everything in the book/from the lecture and that's why they got an A, while others may be good test takers or just know what materials will be on the test so they just focus on studying those materials. I would say the people who just focus on studying whatever is on the test would probably end up getting an A on the test but it doesn't mean that they know the materials more or well. In any case, I am not saying that people who get A's don't know their material well, I am just saying that those who got an A in the class doesn't necessarily = they know more than the ones who got a B.

Oh, I agree with you. Some people are better test-takers than the others.

I'm just saying that if you can get an A in a class, but for whatever reason, you put less effort in and end up with a B, then most likely you didn't learn as much, which is what SHC1984 was saying.

Sometimes people don't do well on the first test but figure out how to tailor their studying to the class and end up acing later exams. However, they can still get a B because of the lower grade on the first test.

can you really make that generalization...being here since start of june?
I would agree with you, that was a terrible generalization. Pharmacy is always going to be stressful but the lack of adequate technicians as well as a lack of enough employment in general does not help to relieve stress:)

Because the question gets answered in 3 or 4 posts and then there's nothing left to talk about, thus turning the thread into off-topic really fast.

A better solution to all of these derailed threads is to lock every thread automatically at, say, 10 or 15 posts, and then if more discussion is truly needed, a moderator can unlock it.

But then where's the community feeling?:laugh:

Since when do retail pharmacies take volunteer workers?? Please make up a better lie. And volunteering to sweep,take out the trash, and count pills doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else on here.

Look no one likes you on here, the moderators have to feel sorry for you b/c its their JOB. Everyone else on here wants you gone or at least change your screename and make up lies in another forum. :rolleyes:

:confused:
Retail pharmacies allow people to shadow (volunteer experience), it doesn't have to make you smarter, it gets you involved in the field, and if you're willing to take out trash and do people's scutwork, that's a notable sacrifice.
It's not him I feel sorry for. I have no reason to believe as of yet that he/she's lying.
Simmer down.

Last edited:

I agree with what you said. I think it's pretty funny that SHC would say she learned the same amount of info when she made C's as when she made A's. Come on, if you learned so much why didn't you earn the A? Secondly, you can't compare an A in another class with those B/C grades because no two classes ever cover the exact same material for the duration of the course.

After reading this thread I realized that SHC has an answer to everything and will dance in circles around comments directed towards her. I sure hope I don't become her next target like Psi lol