Being called "nurse" ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMR_doc

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I feel kinda frustrated with patients sometimes calling me the nurse or assistant. I've never have had this happen in previous residency training. I definitely look young and I am petite. Even when I introduce myself as Dr. X, it's not infrequent. Even happened today! I introduced myself to Dr. X and stuff and about 4 minutes later, the parent's mom calls me Dr. So and so's assistant. It's so frustrating! I do a great job, my attendings think I do a great job but this really bothers me. It's also not the first time. Do I correct them? Do I tell them hey I'm actually dr. so and so again? Not sure how to deal with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I feel kinda frustrated with patients sometimes calling me the nurse or assistant. I've never have had this happen in previous residency training. I definitely look young and I am petite. Even when I introduce myself as Dr. X, it's not infrequent. Even happened today! I introduced myself to Dr. X and stuff and about 4 minutes later, the parent's mom calls me Dr. So and so's assistant. It's so frustrating! I do a great job, my attendings think I do a great job but this really bothers me. It's also not the first time. Do I correct them? Do I tell them hey I'm actually dr. so and so again? Not sure how to deal with it.

Welcome to being a female physician. It sucks. Sometimes I correct people, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I feel like an a&& when I do unless it is super relevant like they're specifically saying they want to talk to the doctor. It's especially hard when you're a trainee because you do have an attending and people outside of the medical world have no idea what the words intern and resident mean. Saying "Hi, I'm Dr. PMR, the PMR resident on the team" or whatever means they'll immediately think you're a student or an assistant or yes, a nurse.

Reactions: 8 users
Ugh it really blows! I don't know what to do. Maybe start wearing my white coat? More make up? I feel like I
Won't be able to have a successful practice once I'm done if pts don't see me as the dr. And I'm really good at what I do which sucks even more. I have been. Told countless times by pts what gentle hands I have, or how awesome/painless etc the procedures I do are. I feel really disheartened. And not that young I'm in my 30's! Ugh. Sometimes I feel like quitting.

Welcome to being a female physician. It sucks. Sometimes I correct people, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I feel like an a&& when I do unless it is super relevant like they're specifically saying they want to talk to the doctor. It's especially hard when you're a trainee because you do have an attending and people outside of the medical world have no idea what the words intern and resident mean. Saying "Hi, I'm Dr. PMR, the PMR resident on the team" or whatever means they'll immediately think you're a student or an assistant or yes, a nurse.

Ugh it really blows! I don't know what to do. Maybe start wearing my white coat? More make up? I feel like I
Won't be able to have a successful practice once I'm done if pts don't see me as the dr. And I'm really good at what I do which sucks even more. I have been. Told countless times by pts what gentle hands I have, or how awesome/painless etc the procedures I do are. I feel really disheartened. And not that young I'm in my 30's! Ugh. Sometimes I feel like quitting.

It really does get better when you're not longer a trainee. There will be no Dr. X to be the perceived assistant for.

I feel like we need @Winged Scapula here or something to tell us how she handles this.

As a resident, being called a nurse didn't bother me too much. Patients certainly saw nurses more often than they saw me, not to mention all the other staff who's usually all dressed similarly. Plus, half the time they didn't really get what residents are. My own mother to this day doesn't quite get what my role was as a resident. Now that I'm an attending it happens a lot less frequently. A LOT less. When it does I'll usually correct them and move on. "No, I'm Dr. Alum" or "I'm the Doctor in charge."

What has always gotten my goat is being asked by other hospital staff if I'm with Housekeeping. Apparently, wherever you are (South, East or Midwest) this is the default role for a non-White female in a hospital. I always, always stop to address this. "I'm wearing dress clothes and carrying a patient list. What about my appearance made you assume I'm with housekeeping??" It's always uncomfortable for the other person and I'm okay with that.

Reactions: 38 users
Wear your white coat. Generally, patients think everyone who wears a white coat is a doctor. Hopefully the gender stereotyping will fade with oncoming generations of patients.

" What has always gotten my goat is being asked by other hospital staff if I'm with Housekeeping.

I once did that with an IR resident...he was wearing the exact same color scrubs as housekeeping! He also was not wearing his MD badge. At least I was polite: "Excuse me young man, the trash in 7 needs to be taken out."

Reactions: 4 users
Lol ouch. For me I get that I look young - prob 10 yrs younger than I am, and I am petite. I do wear regular clothes which I did not in previous residency - before I wore scrubs and coat. I also get hit on by male pts not infrequently which is also annoying.

My background is a bit unique as I always had jobs before medicine where I was one of few women working there (or even the only female), and I got used to dealing with the surprise of seeing me working there. I find it unusual that this is kind of new to the OP, because it has been pretty much commonplace for me to be mistaken as a nurse since I was a med student. I can't think of a single female physician friend of mine who doesn't have this happen to them with some regularity.

I still get this pretty often, despite being an attending. I usually find a way to gently say "no, actually I'm the surgeon" to the patient/family member and quickly move on with whatever I need to say/do to prevent an awkward moment. Usually, they get a little embarassed at their assumption or say "but you look too young to be a surgeon!" and I don't let it bother me and just continue with the visit. If I let it truly bother me every time, it would be ridiculous. The ones that bother me are the people who do not "get it" even after being told multiple times, or my postop patients who tell the person on the other end of the phone that "I gotta go, my nurse just came in" despite the fact that there should be no doubt that I'm the surgeon at that point. Nursing staff is usually pretty good at explaining it too. I do wear my white coat unless I don't have time to get it before seeing a patient. I also introduce myself as "Dr. Lastname" because otherwise patients call me by my first name (or a variant of it based on what nickname they *think* I would use), a phenomenon that does NOT happen to my male colleagues despite the fact that they introduce themselves as "firstname lastname" without the "Dr.".

In short, just gently correct the patient and continue doing what you need to do. Don't focus on it or make it seem like you're offended, as that will make thinigs more awkward. If they insist on having you do some nursing task, say "I'll get the nurse once we're done here".

I answered the phone today in the ICU (everyone else was busy) and took a critical value call from the lab for a patient with a known elevated trop 2/2 CHF and ESRD.

It got documented with the most interesting spelling of my last name, RN.

Strangely enough, the world is still spinning.

Reactions: 2 users
That's different. My last name gets butchered all the time - I would say approximately 80% of ppl. get my last name wrong. But it's mind numbing when I'm like hi! I'm Dr. so and so and then 10 minutes later I'm called the nurse. I have noticed it happens more with certain patient populations than others too.

I even remember when I was rotating in Orthopedics, and it was really embarassing for the pt. when I came back with the Ortho attending after I had seen the pt. and the pt. starts telling him how great of an "assistant" I am and what a great job I did! The Ortho attending is like what? She's not my assistant, she's my colleague. I was proud of my Orthopod attending for saying that. Pt. is like oh I'm so sorry! I felt kinda bad for the pt. and the whole thing was rather awkward but it's annoying. Some pt. even told me that "I was too pretty to be a doctor," another one thanked me for "my beauty and for working at that institution." I was like what the heck? another one asked one of the PA's - "What's up with that Dr. chick? She's pretty hot." All inappropriate and annoying. I do give credit to that pt. at least for recognizing that I was a dr. But it's all sooo terribly annoying. Maybe I should have stayed in Radiology where I rarely interact with pts. Ugh, very frustrated right now.

I answered the phone today in the ICU (everyone else was busy) and took a critical value call from the lab for a patient with a known elevated trop 2/2 CHF and ESRD.

Not to be too insensitive but as I was reading this all I kept asking myself was "how hot is she?"

Reactions: 10 users
I even remember when I was rotating in Orthopedics, and it was really embarassing for the pt. when I came back with the Ortho attending after I had seen the pt. and the pt. starts telling him how great of an "assistant" I am and what a great job I did! The Ortho attending is like what? She's not my assistant, she's my colleague.
As the resident, you kind of are your attending's assistant.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think I am particularly stunning, I'm simply thin and in shape and take care of myself. That's about it.

Not to be too insensitive but as I was reading this all I kept asking myself was "how hot is she?"

I don't think I am particularly stunning, I'm simply thin and in shape and take care of myself. That's about it.

I'm surprised that you are able to find time to exercise and stay in shape... particularly for a nurse... :)

They don't call PMR a lifestyle specialty for nothing! ;)

As a resident, being called a nurse didn't bother me too much. Patients certainly saw nurses more often than they saw me, not to mention all the other staff who's usually all dressed similarly. Plus, half the time they didn't really get what residents are. My own mother to this day doesn't quite get what my role was as a resident. Now that I'm an attending it happens a lot less frequently. A LOT less. When it does I'll usually correct them and move on. "No, I'm Dr. Alum" or "I'm the Doctor in charge."

What has always gotten my goat is being asked by other hospital staff if I'm with Housekeeping. Apparently, wherever you are (South, East or Midwest) this is the default role for a non-White female in a hospital. I always, always stop to address this. "I'm wearing dress clothes and carrying a patient list. What about my appearance made you assume I'm with housekeeping??" It's always uncomfortable for the other person and I'm okay with that.

Omg. Wow. Personally, I would find this odd.

That's different. My last name gets butchered all the time - I would say approximately 80% of ppl. get my last name wrong. But it's mind numbing when I'm like hi! I'm Dr. so and so and then 10 minutes later I'm called the nurse. I have noticed it happens more with certain patient populations than others too.
It still got documented as "Siggy, RN," which was my point... I'm not an RN.

I even remember when I was rotating in Orthopedics, and it was really embarassing for the pt. when I came back with the Ortho attending after I had seen the pt. and the pt. starts telling him how great of an "assistant" I am and what a great job I did! The Ortho attending is like what? She's not my assistant, she's my colleague. I was proud of my Orthopod attending for saying that. Pt. is like oh I'm so sorry! I felt kinda bad for the pt. and the whole thing was rather awkward but it's annoying. Some pt. even told me that "I was too pretty to be a doctor," another one thanked me for "my beauty and for working at that institution." I was like what the heck? another one asked one of the PA's - "What's up with that Dr. chick? She's pretty hot." All inappropriate and annoying. I do give credit to that pt. at least for recognizing that I was a dr. But it's all sooo terribly annoying. Maybe I should have stayed in Radiology where I rarely interact with pts. Ugh, very frustrated right now.

When I was working as an EMT a had a patient try to set me up with her married daughters... one of which was riding with us.

:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

That is because the lab almost always calls the nurses, who then have to page the doctors to tell them the info. The lab almost never calls physicians directly with those critical values. I get why that is the way the information disseminates, but it seems like there could be a better way.

I love that you just let it slide off, though. As if you understand that it wasn't meant as a slight. Good attitude!

That is because the lab almost always calls the nurses, who then have to page the doctors to tell them the info. The lab almost never calls physicians directly with those critical values. I get why that is the way the information disseminates, but it seems like there could be a better way.

I love that you just let it slide off, though. As if you understand that it wasn't meant as a slight. Good attitude!
The hospital I did my internship at would page the resident directly half the time for critical values. Granted, that's much easier when the resident is actually in house 6 days of the week, but yea... I understand why.

... and yea... I'm multi-rolled. I've played rodeo clown for a sun downing patient earlier this week (it took way too much sedation to even dent her) and water boy for another patient last night (walking to the nursing station, all of the nurses were busy, and a family member was looking for someone to fill a pitcher with ice).

It's not special... it's lending a helping hand.

Reactions: 1 users
We actually get paged about critical values directly to our pagers or the team pager. Our nurses don't get paged directly - if that happened, most of our patients would be dead. I can't say we have the best nursing staff.

The only part of being called a nurse or anything besides what you are that you can control is your reaction to it. If you decide to take it as a slight and be offended by it all the time you will be much unhappier than if you just figure someone is ignorant about your role and means no offense. The assumption that women must be in an appropriate gender role isn't inherently rude, it is just a sign that the general population isn't as aware of the alternate roles women can have. I would rather politely correct their misperception and let them see me as a calm and competent professional, rather than get upset and have that come out in the interaction-potentially reinforcing gender stereotypes. Then again, i use to be a nurse so being called one doesn't feel like an insult to me but perhaps it does to someone who considers them inferior rather than just another member of the healthcare team.

There is nothing wrong with being a nurse per se. I'm not going to go down this road that you have opened up about someone in the healthcare team being inferior or not. I think thinking that everyone is on the same level on the healthcare team is absolutely ridiculous. Is everyone important? Sure. Is everyone on the same level? No. That's just life. Just like as a resident I don't have the clout or importance that an attending has or a senior resident or a chief resident. And I have not spent 12 years or whatever in school/training to be a nurse. I'm a physician and a competent one at that. I don't see my male counterparts having to deal with the same thing. I think politely re-directing people to who's who is important. No one has suggested I"m going to go deranged and spazz out. I'm saying it's annoying and frustrating.

The only part of being called a nurse or anything besides what you are that you can control is your reaction to it. If you decide to take it as a slight and be offended by it all the time you will be much unhappier than if you just figure someone is ignorant about your role and means no offense. The assumption that women must be in an appropriate gender role isn't inherently rude, it is just a sign that the general population isn't as aware of the alternate roles women can have. I would rather politely correct their misperception and let them see me as a calm and competent professional, rather than get upset and have that come out in the interaction-potentially reinforcing gender stereotypes. Then again, i use to be a nurse so being called one doesn't feel like an insult to me but perhaps it does to someone who considers them inferior rather than just another member of the healthcare team.

I was hanging out with a south east asian friend of mine. Very relaxed dude, but from an old fashioned family where appeareance, reputation etc is still a big deal. His parents were getting on his case for not "acting like a doctor" because he wasn't acting/dressing/behaving like some big shot at family functions. His response floored them, and had me laughing. "I don't have to act like or pretend to be a doctor. I AM a doctor."

Don't know if it's exactly relevant to your situation, but thought you might enjoy the story

Reactions: 16 users
There is nothing wrong with being a nurse per se. I'm not going to go down this road that you have opened up about someone in the healthcare team being inferior or not. I think thinking that everyone is on the same level on the healthcare team is absolutely ridiculous. Is everyone important? Sure. Is everyone on the same level? No. That's just life. Just like as a resident I don't have the clout or importance that an attending has or a senior resident or a chief resident. And I have not spent 12 years or whatever in school/training to be a nurse. I'm a physician and a competent one at that. I don't see my male counterparts having to deal with the same thing. I think politely re-directing people to who's who is important. No one has suggested I"m going to go deranged and spazz out. I'm saying it's annoying and frustrating.
Just examining a reason it could be so annoying or frustrating. There are other reasons too of course.

Guys have to deal with assumptions people make too if they step out of the usual gender roles too. It is just part of doing something different than society expects. I am just saying that if you can avoid being bothered by it you will be happier.

I was hanging out with a south east asian friend of mine. Very relaxed dude, but from an old fashioned family where appeareance, reputation etc is still a big deal. His parents were getting on his case for not "acting like a doctor" because he wasn't acting/dressing/behaving like some big shot at family functions. His response floored them, and had me laughing. "I don't have to act like or pretend to be a doctor. I AM a doctor."

Don't know if it's exactly relevant to your situation, but thought you might enjoy the story

Couple of my (female) friends were hanging out with me last week, and one of them asked if we got annoyed when people didn't refer to us as Dr.

I responded no, because I'm still the person who will put 'Miss' as my salutation for mail, and I definitely don't have the issue of accidentally adding 'MD' to the end of my signature on credit card receipts. I've also learned that there is a collection of parents in this area who call everyone 'Miss' or 'Mr', regardless of their actual title. At least they are treating me with respect. The people I get annoyed at are the ones who will call female doctors 'Miss' and male doctors 'Dr', though I suppose I'm contributing to that by not insisting that everyone call me Dr. :rolleyes:

Just a story from the other side of the coin :)

Nurse isn't a four letter word.....most of the time. ;-)

Never been called nurse because someone was mad at me or thought I wasn't performing well. I've only been called nurse when patients didn't know what to call me and knew I was helping in some way. It's not a bad thing. Most of the time I don't correct it, except to introduce myself as Dr. WinslowPringle if I see them again. Sometimes if it's an issue, I'll say, "Ha, you don't want me as your nurse - your nurse is Soandso, who's much better at nursing than I am. I'm a resident, which means I'm a doctor, just not the boss doctor." When admitting patients, I also try to explain how the attending physician/resident physician set up works - seems to help a lot.

And 'the doctor's assistant'? Happens all the time. And as a resident, yeah, that's part of what I do. Let's be honest, many of the physicians couldn't survive (with their current case loads) without the help of the residents. Do I do a lot more than that? Sure, but I'm not expecting the 80 yo M with the GI bleed in the ICU to keep straight what attending, chief, intern, PA, PT, RT means, or the nuances of the residency process. To be honest, I had no idea of the intricacy of getting through residency and fellowship before I seriously started down the med school path; why should I expect that of others?

Besides, less they know about my name and title, less likely they can sue successfully ;-)

Maybe I'm naive but if you walk into the patients room and introduce yourself as "Dr X" right off the bat, maybe even showing them the badge as you do, can't most of this be nipped in the bud?

Maybe I'm naive but if you walk into the patients room and introduce yourself as "Dr X" right off the bat, maybe even showing them the badge as you do, can't most of this be nipped in the bud?

I have a giant badge that says MD, I introduce myself as Doctor, and explain my role on the team. I still get called nurse when seeing patients I've taken care of in the hospital on at least the second day.

Of course, those complex new diagnoses of something weird...they always remember that I'm the Doctor, but that usually because I'm in their rooms checking on them much more frequently than my kids admitted for, say dehydration.

My old chief had one parent complain because no doctor had come to speak to her, despite the fact that she had gone in to see the patient and explained the illness to the parent multiple times during the day. She then pulled out her white coat and went to explain, yet again, the reason the child was admitted.

You would think so but people can be quite dense or have selective hearing or something. I will say i am dr dpmd the surgeon and go through my whole h and p then consent them for surgery and at then end still have them wonder if i am the one doing surgery (and that is with me in scrubs with my hat on). But it doesn't bother me. I just say yes and prepare to deal with one of several responses: questions regarding whether i am old enough, expressions of awe or wonder about me being a female surgeon, or gratitude that i will be the one (usually because i actually explained everything going on in terms they understand or in their language and patiently answered all their questions). Obviously I prefer the last response, but i understand the other two.

You'd think so. Some people are very difficult to sway from their preconceptions. Even when my badge had MD, and I clearly said I was Dr. Alum, I'd get questions like "When will you be done with nursing school?"

It sucks, but really, you should dial it back a notch. Once you're the attending, this confusion tends to dissipate. The residents were frequently confused with nurses at my hospital, but the attendings were always the clear authority and never had such issues. Work on being assertive, and grow a thicker skin. Not because you should have to (It's certainly not fair), but because you must if you don't want to lose your mind.

Haha... This is true! PMR was up there for me but Rad Onc isnt too shabby either.

But... Math.

Im in PM&R and a dude. I get called the attendings "assistant" somewhat frequently on outpatient rotations when i see the patient first and then see them with the attending. Doesn't bother me at all. I think they usually just forget your name.

On inpatient rotations, it I am rarely if ever called nurse, but again im a dude. My wife (also a resident) is called "nurse" almost daily and it bothers here too.

You are clearly male because, yeah, no. So many times -- "Hi, I'm Doctor X" and yes, wearing my badge. Go to leave the room and the response is "thanks, Miss X" or "thanks, first name" (which yeah, was on the badge).

My name is on the front door.

There's a picture of me in the waiting room along with a framed magazine cover, both with DR WS on them.

I introduce myself as Doctor. My business cards are right on the chair side table. I don't always wear my coat, but it's embroidered with my degree.

Yet like my colleagues, I get asked when are " they going to do surgery" or "who" or "when is the doctor coming in"?

Reactions: 6 users

There's a picture of me in the waiting room along with a framed magazine cover, both with DR WS on them.

I introduce myself as Doctor. My business cards are right on the chair side table. I don't always wear my coat, but it's embroidered with my degree.

Yet like my colleagues, I get asked when are " they going to do surgery" or "who" or "when is the doctor coming in"?

I wish I had this issue when a pharmaceutical rep swings by our office. I try to avoid them like the plague!

I kid, this would be annoying and very frustrating.

Last edited:
So no lie, I did the opposite today... I saw a female in a lab coat and assumed she was a nurse because I saw her a few times before, but called her "doctor" out of respect to this thread and she was like oh no, I'm a nurse.

Last edited:
Hahaha, this is too funny WS! I think you win the prize on this one.

I think I am going to start wearing my white coat though. In the vast majority of rotations where I do wear my coat I don't get called nurse as much. on outpt. rotations where it's mostly just me and the pts. don't necessarily see the attending, I am not typically questioned about my status although few people can remember my name. I think also maybe again because I look young and most of my attendings are rather old - some in their 70's, they cannot fathom someone being "so young" and a Dr, especially a female being. One of the kids and family on this rotation keep calling me by a butchered form of my last name as my first name. The attending has a longggggggggg standing relationship with this family and I already got my eval as all excellents in this case so I have decided to let it go. It kind of bugs me but whatever I guess it's not worth it to embarrass the pt.

I guess I'll have to tweak things about myself or my appearance slightly, hopefully it'll get better.

I guess I'll have to tweak things about myself or my appearance slightly, hopefully it'll get better.

It does get better as you get older and you no longer get the, "you look too young to be a doctor" (for better or worse).

There are also some things you can do, such as dressing more maturely or professionally (if you are wearing scrubs, or more young, casual clothes and I do agree that the long white coat can help in some situations).

Maybe it's just me but I don't know if being told that you have gentle hands or how painlessly you do procedures is a bad thing

Reactions: 3 users
They say fake it till you make it. If one person has trouble seeing you as a doctor then it's their bad, but if many people do, then maybe it's you. Just saying...

Well I cannot grow any taller and I cannot make myself look any older. Even the staff think I'm about 10 years younger than I am. What can I say I look young and most people think I look young. I'm petite and young looking. I give great care, I have excellent evals by attendings, I have the highest patient satisfaction scores in my class (they actually track this in my program) and some of the best patient outcomes in my class. I'm also one of the best procedural residents in my program. So not sure what else I can do. If I introduce myself as Dr. X I am Dr. X. How else can I say it? I also have never had this issue before and I was in a different specialty before in a different state and i was younger. Im sure I look older now than I did years ago. And my fellow resident typical gets called "girl, miss, lady" etc. as well so I don't think it's just me. Not much more than I can do really.

They say fake it till you make it. If one person has trouble seeing you as a doctor then it's their bad, but if many people do, then maybe it's you. Just saying...

I would honestly say kind of get over it, and it'll get better once you're an attending? I get that you're annoyed but this seems like a pretty minor thing to set up all your defenses on.

LOL ! =) I love your response!

I always introduce myself as "Dr. LastName" to the pt. This usually works out ok until the MA, or nurse, or even :shrug:attending calls me Kristy in front of the patient. And now the pt thinks its ok to refer to me by my first name. And they now think I'm a nurse.

Also pts frequently tell me I look too young to be a doctor. "What are you, 12?" " You look like you're in high school". and I am in my 30's. This drives me nuts.

I always introduce myself as "Dr. LastName" to the pt. This usually works out ok until the MA, or nurse, or even :shrug:attending calls me Kristy in front of the patient. And now the pt thinks its ok to refer to me by my first name. And they now think I'm a nurse.

Also pts frequently tell me I look too young to be a doctor. "What are you, 12?" " You look like you're in high school". and I am in my 30's. This drives me nuts.
don't worry...when you are 70 and they think you are in your 40s you will be happier about the mistake....:)

Thank you for saying this. Nothing is more annoying to me than folks wearing the nurse uniform (scrubs, stethoscope on neck, no ID badge) getting offended because I didn't know they were physicians.

Ditto on the gas folks. Had an anesthesiologist get huffy with me because I asked if he was the "anesthetist" for my case. Guess what d-bag? Your group has so many CRNAs, I can't remember the last time I saw an MD intubate here.

When I need people to know I'm from a surgical service, I put on a scrub cap. And when I need them to know I'm from ortho, I wear my white coat. It's called a visual cue.

I get it when I'm wearing scrubs. But I get called nurse when I'm dressed in nice clothes and have previously introduced myself to the family. I also have a giant red tag hanging from my badge that says MD. I don't wear a white coat, but the only ones who do in my hospital are the cardiologists (who are, in general, in scrubs), and the surgeons. And the occasional PICU attending.

I've stopped getting offended. It's more of an annoyance, which I then clarify, but it happens to all of my female colleagues and I've yet to hear of it happening to my male colleagues. Despite me being in a field where there is a majority of women.