Being waitlisted twice at same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillyGoatGruff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year (in 2007), Tufts gave me an interview invite in late January. I interviewed there in late February, and was waitlisted.

This year (2008), Tufts sent me an interview invite in late February, and I will be interviewing there in late March.

What are the chances that they'd put me on the waitlist again???

I mean, I know that anything can happen where admissions are concerned, but is it realistic that a school would waitlist an applicant twice in a row?

Members don't see this ad.

Happened to me. And two of my friends. You never know...

Members don't see this ad :)
Happened to me. And two of my friends. You never know...

Of course it's a possibility, but I'm wondering how likely is it? I suppose that's an awfully difficult question to answer, however.

I believe that each application cycle is independent (in terms of consideration, other than a comparison done between the first app and second looking for new experiences) and it's just as likely the second time as it is the first. I doubt that your previous waitlist makes you any more or less likely to be waitlisted this time. I doubt they feel bad for you or hold it against you.

happened to me. at a good school too(top 10-20). 2 years in a row.

I got rejected post-interview from the same school two years in a row. I'd say you're just as likely to get waitlisted as anyone esle who interviewed around the same time as you.