Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much! I'm already nervous, but yet very excited! I am so honored thankful for the opportunity to tell my story and put a face to my application.

And just remember, one interview is all it takes. Nail it Bud!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@MajorUnderDog Good luck on your interview. Update us what's going on with it.

A little rant: I got a C in my first speech in public speaking class. This got me down more than I expected. I don't know why. It's recoverable. I'm sorry. I just need to vent this out somewhere :) and Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much! I'm already nervous, but yet very excited! I am so honored thankful for the opportunity to tell my story and put a face to my application.
Congrats, when is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ Thanks guys! It is next week! Super pumped but nervous! I will let you all know how it goes. I am not trying to memorizing anything per se, but just have down a clear/concise answer on why DO and this school.

Reactions: 1 users
^^^ Thanks guys! It is next week! Super pumped but nervous! I will let you all know how it goes. I am not trying to memorizing anything per se, but just have down a clear/concise answer on why DO and this school.
I have an interview next week too. I hope you do well.

OMG yay!!!

I just got the call. Class of 2020!!!! :banana: I have to be the lowest stat underdawg to get in of all time.

Reactions: 15 users
Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me. My situation is the next one:

I am a 22 year old medical student cursing my 4th year on a 5 years and a half medical program on dominican republic, which is caracterized by its trimestral program. Unfortunately I am currently 1 year behind due to 4 Ds and an F, both standing for failure. My current GPA is 2.93 on my last trimester, and 2.76 in general, and have an average of Bs and Cs with some As and B+s scathered all around.

I am currently dealing with depresion, ADD and anxiety which doesn't really help me right now. So my questions are:

- What do you recommend I should do (besides searching for help for my dep and anx issues) to improve my score?
- Are there any wtudy guides you recommend to bith study for the rest of the career, for the USMLE and for any carensies I have on previwslt taken classes?
- As a foreign studying on a possibly-soon-to-be-accredited university, what do I need to do to try and get a spot on plastic surgery on the USA?
- Any honest advice out there for me?

Thanks for listening guys!

I got into Boston MAMS tonight. Still waiting to hear back from a few other SMPs, and I think if I get into Georgetown that would take precedent, but I'd be very happy going to Boston too. Kind of a relief to know I have something different to look forward to.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi!
I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me. My situation is the next one:

I am a 22 year old medical student cursing my 4th year on a 5 years and a half medical program on dominican republic, which is caracterized by its trimestral program. Unfortunately I am currently 1 year behind due to 4 Ds and an F, both standing for failure. My current GPA is 2.93 on my last trimester, and 2.76 in general, and have an average of Bs and Cs with some As and B+s scathered all around.

I am currently dealing with depresion, ADD and anxiety which doesn't really help me right now. So my questions are:

- What do you recommend I should do (besides searching for help for my dep and anx issues) to improve my score?
- Are there any wtudy guides you recommend to bith study for the rest of the career, for the USMLE and for any carensies I have on previwslt taken classes?
- As a foreign studying on a possibly-soon-to-be-accredited university, what do I need to do to try and get a spot on plastic surgery on the USA?
- Any honest advice out there for me?

Thanks for listening guys!
I think you're in the wrong forum. You should check out med student forum. They're more experience to help you out.
I just got the call. Class of 2020!!!! :banana: I have to be the lowest stat underdawg to get in of all time.
Congratulation. I'm happy for you.

I got into Boston MAMS tonight. Still waiting to hear back from a few other SMPs, and I think if I get into Georgetown that would take precedent, but I'd be very happy going to Boston too. Kind of a relief to know I have something different to look forward to.
What's boston MAMS? is that a postbac program or master?

And the good news just keeps rolling into today!! I just received the email acceptance into a SMP!!!:claps::soexcited:

I'm super excited for this program! Now I just need to decide on which school to put a deposit down on, x vs y (if things don't work out at the school I am interviewing at this week).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows how DO schools calculate your GPA. I've heard they only count your most recent grade. Is that only if you've retaken the class once?
I'm thinking about re-retaking (3rd time) a couple of my undergrad classes that I didn't do so hot in and I'm wondering if it will make a difference.

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows how DO schools calculate your GPA. I've heard they only count your most recent grade. Is that only if you've retaken the class once?
I'm thinking about re-retaking (3rd time) a couple of my undergrad classes that I didn't do so hot in and I'm wondering if it will make a difference.

As long as the new course is equal to or greater in credits (4 credit for 3 credit, 3 credit for 3 credit, not 2 for 4, etc.), is relatively the same course description (Biochem for Biochem, not General Biology for Biochem), and same level (don't expect a 100 level to replace a 300 level) then you should be fine.

As long as the new course is equal to or greater in credits (4 credit for 3 credit, 3 credit for 3 credit, not 2 for 4, etc.), is relatively the same course description (Biochem for Biochem, not General Biology for Biochem), and same level (don't expect a 100 level to replace a 300 level) then you should be fine.

This is wonderful to hear. Thank you MajorUnderdog. Congrats on your acceptances btw! You will do great things!:claps:

hey support peeps, i need some advice. and some support I guess.

AMCAS sGPA: 3.0
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.12
MCAT: 503
Got rejected ( I assume ) from most DO schools i applied to. I also must add that I applied a little on the later side. I interviewed at 1, and got waitlisted.

So what do? I can re-apply super early to all DO schools and chill at my job (breast cancer researcher), or should I apply to a masters/post-bac somewhere?

I have research and shadowing hours and LOR's from physicians and everything. I thought I would be shown some love this cycle, but alas, here we are.
I love this thread because it's super inspirational and I'm proud of all of ya for lowering that shoulder and pushing through the bull**** to get that end-goal of the whitecoat!

hey support peeps, i need some advice. and some support I guess.

AMCAS sGPA: 3.0
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.12
MCAT: 503
Got rejected ( I assume ) from most DO schools i applied to. I also must add that I applied a little on the later side. I interviewed at 1, and got waitlisted.

So what do? I can re-apply super early to all DO schools and chill at my job (breast cancer researcher), or should I apply to a masters/post-bac somewhere?

I have research and shadowing hours and LOR's from physicians and everything. I thought I would be shown some love this cycle, but alas, here we are.
I love this thread because it's super inspirational and I'm proud of all of ya for lowering that shoulder and pushing through the bull**** to get that end-goal of the whitecoat!

Hmmm. Tough call without some more info. Have you retaken any/all your science courses with a grade below a B?

I would first suggest trying to get your sgpa up by retaking more courses before going to an expensive SMP.

How many science credits do you have? Do you have a DO LOR? What is your volunteering like?

Hmmm. Tough call without some more info. Have you retaken any/all your science courses with a grade below a B?

I would first suggest trying to get your sgpa up by retaking more courses before going to an expensive SMP.

How many science credits do you have? Do you have a DO LOR? What is your volunteering like?

I only have 2 science classes with a C in them. Cell Bio and Advanced Inorganic. I do have quite a list of science courses though so I don't know how much it will change the GPA. I could retake Cell Bio this summer. Should I write the MCAT again? If I dont get off this waitlist, I don't know what to do.
I can either apply first thing in June or apply and start some type of masters at USF or a post bacc somewhere.

Does anyone know if I have to take 2 semesters of organic chemistry? I have taken Ochem I, and a "supplemental organic functional group chemistry" which is 1 credit (it is sort of a hybrid/self taught course). I am interested in going to a DO school.

Does anyone know if I have to take 2 semesters of organic chemistry? I have taken Ochem I, and a "supplemental organic functional group chemistry" which is 1 credit (it is sort of a hybrid/self taught course). I am interested in going to a DO school.

Yes, you will for sure need to take Ochem II, which to me, wasn't nearly as bad as Ochem I.

I only have 2 science classes with a C in them. Cell Bio and Advanced Inorganic. I do have quite a list of science courses though so I don't know how much it will change the GPA. I could retake Cell Bio this summer. Should I write the MCAT again? If I dont get off this waitlist, I don't know what to do.
I can either apply first thing in June or apply and start some type of masters at USF or a post bacc somewhere.

I'm on the fence about you needing to retake the mcat because you are above the 500 mark. Others will need to voice their opinion as well. But only having two C's and retaking those might not boost your gpa that much.

If you are willing to take on the loan of an smp, then doing that this upcoming fall, apply this summer, crushing your courses, and updating your schools with your smp fall grades I think you would definitely be setting yourself up for a successful cycle.

Found out today that I may be able to do retroactive withdrawal for one of my semesters of bad grades. Has anyone had any success with this? I think it is a long shot for my situation but it is worth a try. I did some quick math and dropping that semester would raise my cGPA by .25 and my sGPA by .65, would make so much of a difference.
So this post was a year and a half ago, wow. I kept putting it off and finally submitted a request for retroactive withdrawal two weeks ago. Just got word that it was approved. My cGPA just went from 3.08 to 3.25 and my sGPA went from 2.59 to 3.09. In addition, they removed my academic probation and disqualification statuses from my record. I am so freaking happy right now!

Reactions: 4 users
that's incredible!
congratulations!
So this post was a year and a half ago, wow. I kept putting it off and finally submitted a request for retroactive withdrawal two weeks ago. Just got word that it was approved. My cGPA just went from 3.08 to 3.25 and my sGPA went from 2.59 to 3.09. In addition, they removed my academic probation and disqualification statuses from my record. I am so freaking happy right now!

That's incredible!!

that's incredible!
congratulations!

That's incredible!!
Thanks, yes it is. I'm kind of in shock, actually. The grades dropped are from 8 years ago. I thought I made my case pretty well that it wasn't a reflection of who I am now, but I still thought it was a very slight chance anything would come of it. Now I only wish I would have had the nerve to go through it sooner, I could have graduated quicker and saved myself a lot of time, money and stress.

Thanks, yes it is. I'm kind of in shock, actually. The grades dropped are from 8 years ago. I thought I made my case pretty well that it wasn't a reflection of who I am now, but I still thought it was a very slight chance anything would come of it. Now I only wish I would have had the nerve to go through it sooner, I could have graduated quicker and saved myself a lot of time, money and stress.

That is so awesome to hear! Congrats on that!

It shows how being persistent, dedicated, and proactive are absolutely essential in this long journey.

Reactions: 3 users
Man this is the place for me. I'm 19 years old. I did crappy in high school graduated with a 2.8. I got accepted into a university started studying computer science. I failed out just after my second semester with a 1.4 GPA. I was told by my university I could go back after I was dismissed for a semester. I started going to a community college and started studying computer science again. Soon after starting at community college I got a double jaw surgery to correct a really bad underbite that I've had all my life. Soon after that I decided enough is enough. I'm tired of hating computer science. I decided I wanted to become a doctor because of my surgery and because of my amazing surgeon who encouraged me to pursue that dream despite of my failures. So I changed my major at my community college from computer science to surgical technology and have started volunteering at the ER at my local hospital. After working my butt off for 2 semesters there I now have a 3.6 GPA. I plan to graduate with that associate degree and go back to the university for pre-med and go to med school. I know I have screwed up but I also know, despite that I can still become a doctor and I do not plan to give up on that.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! First I would like to say I'm thankful for all of you! Okay, so now I would like to share my story with you all and also get suggestions as to what I should do next. I graduated from my undergrad with a liberal arts degree in 2014 and my overall GPA is below 2.7. I'm not sure about my science GPA but I know it's really low since I began my undergrad as a science major so I took some science/math courses (bio, chem, calculus) in my first year or so and I did horrible in those. After many counseling sessions and lots of time to process personal things, I graduated and now I'm working full-time. I recently decided to take all pre-med reqs and prepare for the MCAT but I would like to know how do I fix my GPA?? Should I take the pre-requisites in a community college or apply to a university to take the pre-reqs there? I definitely need replacement grades and I believe this can only be achieved at a university correct? Have many of y'all done a second bachelors? I've also heard some of you mention post bacc programs but I believe these are geared for people with science degrees?

I appreciate any responses! Thank you all in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
UW. I had graduated in Molecular Biology with a 2.89 GPA and struggled with what to do next.

UW Molecular/Cellular/Development Bio major here - our grade deflation is a bitch isn't it. I did an associates before transferring in, so I've only taken STEM classes at UW, so every one had that lovely 2.8 median mandatory curve. My ochem 2 had an amazing 2.5/2.4 average grade. Gotta love it

I'm sorry to hear that. You have other acceptances, correct? You should be proud of yourself for coming this far (note to self, as well).

Thanks. I just have acceptances into some DO-SMPs-which is still great, but I was really hoping this one DO school that interviewed me would at least put me on the waitlist.

Thanks. I just have acceptances into some DO-SMPs-which is still great, but I was really hoping this one DO school that interviewed me would at least put me on the waitlist.
Really sorry to hear that man. What do you think went wrong? Did your interview not go well or do you think your stats sealed your fate?

Great thread, a breath of fresh air from all the "3.9 GPA 40 MCAT" threads in pre-allo. :p

I cringe when I think about all of my bad grades. I had an advisor tell me I was never going to be a doctor. When I get accepted I will find her and show her the letter/email.

Anyways, I graduate in May with a B.S. in Kinesiology/Exercise Science and Biology Minor. Just turned 24. GPA will probably be right under or right over 3.0, it depends on if I can pull off a 4.0 taking 18 hours. Microbiology is the devil I tell you!

I would rather not do a specialized masters masters. So my plan is to take 6 more science classes and beef up my application and apply early in the 2018 cycle. And of course beast the MCAT (90th percentile hopefully).

Hi all! First post! I've been lurking for a while, but wanted to put my hat into the ring. I'm not entirely sure where my final GPA ends up, but it'll be 3.0 +/- 0.05. So right in this ballpark. Both cGPA and sGPA.

As of now, I'm working full-time, studying for the MCAT, taking a Kaplan course, taking BioChem (last prereq), volunteering at two different hospitals in two different capacities - so a bit busy.

I'll take the MCAT on April 1st, and I'm ready to kick its ass. My practice exams have been going well (>90th %ile) so I'm excited to see it through to the end. I'll be applying June 1st.

Thanks everyone for sharing their stories here! It's been tremendously helpful in reassuring myself that I'm not crazy, and these literally thousands of hours aren't in vain. Stay Tuned - I'll try to post updates.

Hi all! First post! I've been lurking for a while, but wanted to put my hat into the ring. I'm not entirely sure where my final GPA ends up, but it'll be 3.0 +/- 0.05. So right in this ballpark. Both cGPA and sGPA.

As of now, I'm working full-time, studying for the MCAT, taking a Kaplan course, taking BioChem (last prereq), volunteering at two different hospitals in two different capacities - so a bit busy.

I'll take the MCAT on April 1st, and I'm ready to kick its ass. My practice exams have been going well (>90th %ile) so I'm excited to see it through to the end. I'll be applying June 1st.

Thanks everyone for sharing their stories here! It's been tremendously helpful in reassuring myself that I'm not crazy, and these literally thousands of hours aren't in vain. Stay Tuned - I'll try to post updates.

Please share your MCAT study/prep advice and tips! I just started studying.

Just wanted to say..i really love this thread!

I had a mind-numbingly terrible first 2 years in college..so bad they put me on probation for 2 semesters. Took a year off to work construction in Hawaii and got my mind right. Transferred back to what is now my home institution and finished a Psychology degree with a 3.55/Honors/all that jazz. Anyway, I had quite a few Biology credits as well but hadn't taken any hard sciences (Chem, Physics) which I am currently taking now. Chemistry is what is killing me. Our professor is racing through the book and the Stoichiometric equations are kicking my butt! Spending 2+ hours on studying Chem everyday as it is my weak subject but still I have a low A in the course. I should graduate next Spring with a degree in Biology. Not sure that it matters that i'd have two degrees but I'm sure it would be a bit different than the norm.

Long story short I have a 2.71 cumulative GPA with 4 semesters before I take the MCAT and submit my apps. I'm very nervous that I won't get over the "3.0 hump" and will not even be considered by schools. The good thing is that I have a couple years of volunteer experience with geriatric patients (staying with them a couple of hours a weekend while their caretakers are out) as well as a new job I started up in the ER as a scribe. Plenty of great connections for shadowing and LOR's when it comes closer to time to submit my app.

Crossing my fingers that I will be able to clear a 3.0 and maintain at least a 3.5 with my sGPA. I will be a regular on this thread! Thanks for posting it! :thumbup::thumbup: