Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, I want to point out how much I love this thread, and how much of an example it is that some of the non-trad "underdogs" are some of the best people (that will make great physicians :) ). No trolls, all very supportive, caring, and encouraging. Though, I've only been around for the most recent pages of the thread. But I literally can't stand half of the 22 year olds at my school because a lot of them don't have good intentions. A lab partner of mine (who has gotten 2 acceptances btw) was criticizing my want to do an adolescent pregnancy prevention internship with a local non-profit because I want to be an OBGYN. "Why would you want to do that? Don't you WANT people to have babies so that you can deliver them and make more money?" Is basically what she said. I couldn't take it, closed my mouth before I said something I'd regret.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, I want to point out how much I love this thread, and how much of an example it is that some of the non-trad "underdogs" are some of the best people (that will make great physicians :) ). No trolls, all very supportive, caring, and encouraging. Though, I've only been around for the most recent pages of the thread. But I literally can't stand half of the 22 year olds at my school because a lot of them don't have good intentions. A lab partner of mine (who has gotten 2 acceptances btw) was criticizing my want to do an adolescent pregnancy prevention internship with a local non-profit because I want to be an OBGYN. "Why would you want to do that? Don't you WANT people to have babies so that you can deliver them and make more money?" Is basically what she said. I couldn't take it, closed my mouth before I said something I'd regret.

Now your "OB1gynobi" makes sense lol. Future OB/Gyn and Star Wars lover. Very nice.

I adhere strictly in trying to preserve my sanity by steering clear of the "youngins" in class/lab and on sdn ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Now your "OB1gynobi" makes sense lol. Future OB/Gyn and Star Wars lover. Very nice.

I adhere strictly in trying to preserve my sanity by steering clear of the "youngins" in class/lab and on sdn ;)

Haha yes! Thanks! Thought of that one day and felt like a genius! If I told you I had two huskies, a boy named Gambit and a girl named Rogue (whose black with a white stripe on her face) would you get that reference?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha yes! Thanks! Thought of that one day and felt like a genius! If I told you I had two huskies, a boy named Gambit and a girl named Rogue (whose black with a white stripe on her face) would you get that reference?

X-men ;) ?

Also I totally feel you guys over the youngins... Nobody in my classes ever feel like sharing or helping one another out. Most of the time I ask if people want to form a study group they get all uptight and hesitant. Half of our classes aren't even curved, so we're not even competing :mad:!

Reactions: 1 user

Haha, that is awesome. Well both are in the Xmen/Marvel universe, but with "Star Wars: Rogue One" coming out this December I would say Rogue could have a meaning in different universes lol.

X-men ;) ?

Also I totally feel you guys over the youngins... Nobody in my classes ever feel like sharing or helping one another out. Most of the time I ask if people want to form a study group they get all uptight and hesitant. Half of our classes aren't even curved, so we're not even competing :mad:!

LOL. Sorry to laugh, but that is pretty funny. Their attitudes of "too cool" to join a study group is pretty comical when they don't even realize the reality of the situation and it would only benefit them lol

Reactions: 1 users
X-men ;) ?

Bingo!! Very few people get it lol. My husband and I very purposefully picked names for our dogs from Xmen so that future animals would have a plethora of options for cool names.

So I just read a pretty damning post about Liberty U. I was going to apply there because I know that they're lax on GPA... but will it be a death for my medical career after? Anyone know/applied?

So I just read a pretty damning post about Liberty U. I was going to apply there because I know that they're lax on GPA... but will it be a death for my medical career after? Anyone know/applied?

I wouldn't say Liberty is completely lax on Gpa. They rejected me pre-secondary.

But I don't know...I think with everything else in life you have to take things in moderation. SDN seems to be very anti-Liberty, which is fine. I think if it came down to it and Liberty was your ONLY acceptance then go. If you have other options then strongly go with those. Just my 2cents.

Physics II is completely independent of Physics I in my experience.
From pure content perspective, yes, I suppose. BUT if you look at the relationships between all the equations, TO ME, they are largely repetitive of each other; so if I knew how to manipulate one, I could extrapolate and do the same with another one.

F=ma
P=IV

I bet the way you get the variables is similar meaning, if I know that a = x/t and N = kg.m/s^2 but I'm not given mass, I can find that... same thing holds true for

F=G m1m2/r^2

Looks a lot like Coulomb's Law: F=k Q1Q2/r^2 ...

To me, physics 2 is just the same equations again and again with different letters; once I knew one, I just dropped in the right variables for the question (this is for the MCAT; I'm taking physics 2 this summer; got an A+ in physics 1)

Hey folks. First time posting, so I thought I would start here. I graduated HS in 2001, went to a major 4-yr school at 17 years old, and did miserably in most of my classes. I left with a 1.7 GPA, if memory serves. I came home (Atlanta at the time) and went to Community College while I worked full-time as a mechanic, and did better, even made Dean's List a few times. my final semester, my Dad had been on my case about taking a "full load" of 15 hrs, and I did, and it didn't work out - and since I didn't have the sense to withdraw or drop the classes, I got one B and four Fs. I joined the Army almost a year later, and wound up as a Medic since all of the Helicopter mechanic slots were full at the time. Spent nine years in the Army, found out A) I really like medicine, B) I'm NOT too dumb for medicine, and C) I do NOT want to be a medic forever. I got out in Sept 2014 and have been in school since then (actually, August, but hey...). I entered school in Savannah, GA with a 2.0 GPA, and after a replacement or two for re-taking a class or two a decade previous, I had a 2.1 GPA. Since then, I have a 4.0 institutional GPA, and that includes Bio, Chem, O-Chem I, and some upper division Bio courses. I'm sitting on a 2.92 cumulative GPA and a 3.54 science GPA, and after this semester, I'll have over a 3.0 cumulative and a 3.6 Science GPA. I've shied away from SDN because of all the "youngin's" out there, and after finding the "Island of Misfit Toys" that is the non-trad students, I figured it would be a good resource after all.

If you're still reading this, keep your head up, you CAN do this, it IS possible. It takes a metric ****-ton of work and effort, but you can do it if you work hard. I'm 32, with a wife I've been married to for seven years, two 5-year-old girls (yes, twin girls), a mortgage, a few cars, grass that grows, bills to pay, etc etc etc and I still pulled off a miraculous recovery. To everyone who has posted in this thread so far, thanks - it was a good feeling to find out that I'm not alone on this journey.

Reactions: 8 users
@Helomedic1171 - you are definitely NOT alone in this journey :) There are some of us that have children your age ;)

LOVE the reference to Rudolph; we are definitely the Island of Misfit Toys but ... they all found "homes" too. SDN has changed over the years. I, too, stayed away; fear of the brutality of the cGPA 4.0 + 528 MCAT, with 10000000 hours of research and having developed clinics for underprivledged kids while doing D1 football at SEC school all while holding two jobs and volunteering 20,000 hours... and wondering if they'll get in :)

They don't exist here anymore... we run them off quick!

Reactions: 3 users
@Helomedic1171 ... They don't exist here anymore... we run them off quick!

That's EXACTLY the type I was alluding to. I'm hopeful, actually, I'm confident - dare I say that - that I will get an acceptance from a school not in the Caribbean, but as to which one? I have no idea - so until then, I'm going to keep working hard. but some of the kids just make me scratch my head and wonder how many times they were dropped as infants. In the meantime - I'm soaking up all the tips I can for taking the MCAT, my date is July 9th. I'm also wrapping up O-chem II, Micro, and my last semester of research at the moment, and prepping for Biochem I in the month of June (yep - the whole thing in one month). I've got a lot of blocks checked, but my biggest weakness is paying for past sins, as I'm sure all of you can understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question
Would the course 3020 Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy suffice for VCOM's 300 level course in Anatomy requirement?

I also took a 2050 Microbiology course offered at the school I attended that was for nursing/biology majors. Would I have to complete a Microbiology course at the 300 level? (it might look like I'm padding but whatever...)

Is Rosalind Franklin a good place to apply? I heard something about them being on probation. Should that stop me?

So I got into 3 SMPs, Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, and BU, and I'm on the waitlist at Georgetown. I already withdrew from BU, but choosing between Tufts and RF is really difficult. I really like Tufts, but the cost of living and same year acceptance stats are much better at RF. Didn't expect decisions this tough when I haven't even applied to med school yet.

Is Rosalind Franklin a good place to apply? I heard something about them being on probation. Should that stop me?

Please tell me you're going to wait a few years and do what has been suggested. Please? :)

So I got into 3 SMPs, Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, and BU, and I'm on the waitlist at Georgetown. I already withdrew from BU, but choosing between Tufts and RF is really difficult. I really like Tufts, but the cost of living and same year acceptance stats are much better at RF. Didn't expect decisions this tough when I haven't even applied to med school yet.

Congrats on your acceptances!

If you don't mind me asking what are your stats?

If you don't mind me asking what are your stats?
When I applied to the SMPs, 3.1cGPA, 2.6sGPA, GRE 158/160/4.5, no MCAT. Had a major grade update after applying so now I have 3.25cGPA and 3.07sGPA.

As an update, I'm pretty sure I'm going to Rosalind Franklin BMS. AMCAS open tomorrow and I'm so scared/nervous to get things started.

this thread is a safe space <3

LOL. Well that wasn't my intention when I started the thread almost 3 years ago; I wasn't even aware of that phrase until last fall haha.

But I'm glad it is a place for those that need to talk strategies and gather constructive ideas without being bombarded with the typical mantra, "time to find another career".

When I applied to the SMPs, 3.1cGPA, 2.6sGPA, GRE 158/160/4.5, no MCAT. Had a major grade update after applying so now I have 3.25cGPA and 3.07sGPA.

As an update, I'm pretty sure I'm going to Rosalind Franklin BMS. AMCAS open tomorrow and I'm so scared/nervous to get things started.

what are the requirements at RF to matriculate into their MD program from the BMS?

what are the requirements at RF to matriculate into their MD program from the BMS?
Everyone enrolled in BMS in good standing who has met the MD requirements gets an interview, and they typically accept 55-60% of the class.

I just got the call. Class of 2020!!!! :banana: I have to be the lowest stat underdawg to get in of all time.

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I have a measly 3.016 cGPA and a 502 MCAT. My freshman/sophomore years were difficult for me due to some family health issues/death

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I have a measly 3.016 cGPA and a 502 MCAT. My freshman/sophomore years were difficult for me due to some family health issues/death
Pre-SMP was 2.87c/2.62s/28. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I had a glimmer of hope yesterday I wanted to share. I got my MCAT scores back.

After studying for a grand total of 378 hours, shy of my 450 hour goal, I scored a 518, (130/129/129/130), which was good for the 97th percentile!!

After that score started to sink in - I checked it again this AM and it's still the same (!) - I've realized this is the first time that I've let myself believe that this may actually happen! I might actually get into Medical School!

Sometimes on these forums I get a little down that people with >3.5's and respectable MCATs don't get in - so I figure I have a snowballs chance in hell. But after my MCATs, maybe there is hope.

Did anyone else apply with similar stats? I'll have ~6 years professional experience, with a ~3.0 GPA and 518 MCAT (old 37/38). Any success stories with these stats?

Reactions: 7 users
So I had a glimmer of hope yesterday I wanted to share. I got my MCAT scores back.

After studying for a grand total of 378 hours, shy of my 450 hour goal, I scored a 518, (130/129/129/130), which was good for the 97th percentile!!

After that score started to sink in - I checked it again this AM and it's still the same (!) - I've realized this is the first time that I've let myself believe that this may actually happen! I might actually get into Medical School!

Sometimes on these forums I get a little down that people with >3.5's and respectable MCATs don't get in - so I figure I have a snowballs chance in hell. But after my MCATs, maybe there is hope.

Did anyone else apply with similar stats? I'll have ~6 years professional experience, with a ~3.0 GPA and 518 MCAT (old 37/38). Any success stories with these stats?

Congrats on that MCAT score! That is super awesome! That score should def. open some doors for you.

Mind sharing tips ;)?

In all seriousness though, CONGRATS! With a stellar score like that I think adcoms will certainly pause when they see your application, and if everything else is put together nicely we might just see you come back soon as an M1!

Hey Kelslayne - As for the MCAT... let's just say I studied A LOT. My first step was to look at what the "average" amount of studying was for successful test takers. The number I came up with was 350hrs +/- 100hrs. So I figured if I wanted my score to be above average, that I would shoot for an above average amount of studying - 450 hours. So I looked at my schedule (I work full time 8-6), and figured how to get to that number. So at 20hrs/week studying in addition to working, I needed to start 6 months beforehand.

So starting in October, I just chipped away at my studies. It's been a while since I took the intro courses from undergrad so I had a lot to catch up on. I used:

- Kaplan: course, books, FLs, online resources (60%)
- Exam Krackers: books (20%)
- Kahn Academy: videos and practice Qs (10%)
- Misc Resources: Princeton Review FL, Wikipedia, etc (10%)

In my mind, Exam Krackers isn't as in depth as other resources, so I started there. Worked through an entire book a week, about a section a night, and then moved into Kaplan after 1.5 months. I took their course and on my first simulated full length, I SUCKED - Scored a ~493 or something.

After my second Full-Length from Kaplan (504), my improvements became virtually linear. I scored 507, 509, 512, 514, taken every ~2-3 weeks. After each Full-Length, I'd look at which areas I felt weakest on. Kaplan has a handy tool which will group the questions into content areas and then give you a % correct. So using that I'd study the weakest areas for the next few weeks, and then take another FL.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat - for 6 months.

It wasn't a glamorous road. But it seems to have worked!

Best of luck! Hopefully this helped. Let me know if you have any questions! :D

So I did a little write up of my MCAT study methods. It wasn't FUN exactly, but it certainly got me a result I couldn't even imagine when I started this adventure.

One piece of advice I'd add since taking the real thing, is don't wait to look at the AAMC material. Most test prep companies suggest you wait and use AAMC material as a "real" test simulation. While I would save the ACTUAL scored MCAT for this, I would look at every. single. other. question. that the AAMC publishes weeks or months before the test. I made the mistake of not really looking at these until a few weeks before my test and I had to hustle to adapt to their style - especially CARS.

Otherwise, just make a realistic plan and stick to it. Having said that, don't forget to listen to your body. I almost totally burnt out about 5 weeks before my test because I was so focused and set on my test schedule. So I took three days off work and five off studying and literally sat on my couch and watched House of Cards all day - for five days. Everyone on these threads should know how much of a luxury that is... with all the requirements to get in, we hardly ever have even a single day to relax, let alone five in a row.

But that time was critical for me to regain my energy and focus. That little break renewed my focus and carried me all the way through test day to a 518.

Hope this helps!

Please tell me you're going to wait a few years and do what has been suggested. Please? :)

I'm 100% waiting a year. Next year I'll probably apply to DO schools depending on my stats since they're way better for DO schools (thanks grade replacement), but I'll do a one year masters program at my current school when I'm done with undergrad since I will have a year between matriculation (hopefully) and graduation anyway. That way if I do end up applying a second time, my application is just that much stronger. We'll see how it goes. I'm volunteering now, I just need to shadow some physicians and all of my ECs are great for a nontrad. If I feel rushed and unprepared like this year, I'll just wait until after the masters graduation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want a really good MBS program, I recommend rutgers. I might be a little bit biased, but the program is really good, is taught by professors from the medical school, and the people are super friendly.

what state are you in?
Hello,
I just recently got accepted into Rutgers MBS program. Are you or were you enrolled in the program? If so, I would appreciate gathering some information about the program!

Hello all,

I am a currently a senior at a large public state university with a rejuvenated ambition to become a physician one day. I began my undergraduate education at a smaller public state university then transferred after my fifth semester. I had a 3.1 GPA before I transferred and started with a clean slate at my current university. I was a Biology major at my old school, but will graduate with a degree in Kinesiology and a minor in Biological Sciences. I have completed my General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics requirements with my only Cs in Gen Chem 1 and Orgo 2. I still have a lot of major and minor upper divisions sciences left to take. I am worried about my GPA and I literally have zero time to study for the MCAT between working and summer classes. I am in the process of researching post-bacc programs or just taking a year to work in a medical setting and studying for the MCAT. Any and all advice concerning these options or others would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
A post bacc would be good, work on your undergrad GPA though, and calculate it to see what it would be in AACOMAS or AMCAS. I also find it hard to believe that you don't have time to study for the MCAT. Are you married as well? Do you have kids? No? Then you have time. Also, if that's your real name, consider paying SDN to change it to preserve your anonymity.

I literally have zero time to study for the MCAT between working and summer classes. I am in the process of researching post-bacc programs or just taking a year to work in a medical setting and studying for the MCAT. Any and all advice concerning these options or others would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest going for a postbac or just taking more classes and acing them. The point with people who have had mediocre or even bad academic performances is that med schools want to see proof that now you're no longer "at risk" academically before they risk investing a seat for you. This usually constitutes a year at least of full-time science courses, which you can do formally or DIY. You should demonstrate a continued trend of As - just like how anyone can have a bad semester, anyone can also have a good semester, so just having 1 isn't really conducive to being "reinvented".

Also, echoing what the above said, perhaps you can figure out a way to spare an hour or two before bed to just go over the material. There's surprisingly a lot of hours in the day once you sit down and actually budget your time. I know sometimes I'm guilty of spending like 3 hours after work/school just unwinding that could be used for MCAT study lol. But if you want to be properly prepared for the MCAT either you've gotta learn to make time in your schedule or take another year after your postbac to study for it. One more year won't make a huge difference in the long run.

Hey guys, new here. Just wanted to say I love this site!!

I have a predicament. I currently have a 2.95 GPA , sGPA 3.55. My Chem 1 course I took a couple years back I made a C on...But the rest of my prereq's are A's and B's (mostly A's). Here is my question...
Should I definitely go another semester and retake this Chem 1 grade for an A? At this point I am working a job in the ER (scribe) and would have to cut back my hours to take this class. So it will be a pain..but if it is a MUST DO, then I will do it.
Could I get accepted into a postbacc program with a 2.95 GPA, strong grade trend in higher level courses, and (forgot to mention) 26 MCAT? I also have 1250 hours working in the ER as a scribe (currently one now)

so your non-science classes were close to a 2.4?
you could probably get accepted to an SMP, but you also need to really pick up your mcat (like 510)

@rock hopper If you take another semester to retake Chem 1, I'd suggest taking some other classes too to bump your GPA above a 3.0. A lot of postbac programs have a cutoff at a 3.0 cumulative GPA, so if it's possible to bump yourself up those .05 points you should do that. Also as tetley said, your MCAT isn't doing you any favors and you'll need to retake that for a much higher score.

Grades and MCAT are MOST important to admissions committees first and foremost. You've got plenty of hours clinically so now it's time to make decisions on what to prioritize, and cutting back hours to focus on your grades/MCAT is the way to go. Otherwise your application might look like "Well, he/she was dedicated, but didn't know how to allocate their time appropriately to focus on their academics... not sure if I am confident this candidate will dedicate themselves to med school curriculum then."

@tetley I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me. First 2 years were awful (like a 2.0 awful) due to missing classes due to anxiety and to just being a lazy bum.

@etp123 Yeah as much as I hate to say it I guess I will need to retake the mcat..maybe take biochem too as ive heard its emphasized on new mcat

One last thing! Which makes me worry....I took Applied calculus..not Calculus 1, because i was a non-science major at the time. Also it was an online class. Will this hurt me in applying and should I take Calc I?

One last thing! Which makes me worry....I took Applied calculus..not Calculus 1, because i was a non-science major at the time. Also it was an online class. Will this hurt me in applying and should I take Calc I?

I don't think Applied Calculus will hurt you in any way, but if you need to retake it, be wary of using Calc I as a substitute because it might not count (per AACOMAS rules).

Hello,

Just found this forum, I think it's a fantastic idea. However, I may be beyond help at this point in time but I'm going to lay it all out here:
graduated in 2012, sgpa: 2.04, gpa: 2.54
I've worked in retail the last 4-yrs unable to find a job in the sciences due to my low gpa and "not enough experience." Part of my decision to find any job was to pay off medical bills but I didn't pay for 4-yrs of undergrad to work, unhappily, in retail the rest of my life. I would love to find a way back into school and have researched post-bacc options but have run into a block since most in my region still have higher gpa requirements, required mcat or gre scores (which I never took since I ended up in the hospital after graduation), letters of recommendation from an academic source (hello haven't spoken to my advisor for about 3-yrs now), etc.... So I am now at the point of questioning whether to even apply and pay the application fees (not cheap) just to get an email back saying I have not been accepted due to my low gpa.
I seem to be out of options that I can find. I already received a B.S. in a physical science field so I can't justify spending more money to go back for another Bachelor's degree. I thought post-bacc's listed under the AAMC postbacc premed program academic record enhancers would have a little more leniency with their minimum gpa requirement but apparently not.

Any suggestions?

I seem to be out of options that I can find. I already received a B.S. in a physical science field so I can't justify spending more money to go back for another Bachelor's degree. I thought post-bacc's listed under the AAMC postbacc premed program academic record enhancers would have a little more leniency with their minimum gpa requirement but apparently not.

Any suggestions?

There are formal postbac programs which are like 90% of the things listed on AAMC, and there are informal options by just taking classes "a la carte" at a local university. The formal postbac programs are structured and have their benefits, hence the selectivity, but if your purpose is to up your grades then you can just do a DIY postbac. Also a lot of academic record enhancers are arguably even more expensive than the 2nd degree route, and you actually don't have to finish the 2nd bachelor's. Some people on this forum just enrolled for a 2nd bachelors so they can get preferential registration.

Many state schools allow you to enroll for classes as a non-degree seeking student. Search the schools' websites/get into contact with them for more info. You usually have to register after the undergrads do, so be wary you might have some trouble if the class is impacted, but that's an option. Taking classes at a community college is also another option; however, a lot of MD schools and some DO schools don't consider that in as high esteem as credits from a 4-year university so do your research there.

@etp123 Yeah as much as I hate to say it I guess I will need to retake the mcat..maybe take biochem too as ive heard its emphasized on new mcat

If I'm not mistaken, I think actually a lot of schools require you to have 1 semester or 1 year of biochem anyways? In any case, yes certainly you should take it! It will be very helpful not just for the MCAT but for a future career in medicine too.

Hello All,

I found this thread while researching my chances at medical school and found it to provide a great deal of motivation moving forward. However, at my age (33) I realize I may also have that working against me. My current undergrad GPA is 3.02 after re-taking a class I did not do well in as a freshman, which is much lower than I would like. I have not taken the MCAT, but practice scores have been in the 30-32 range (508-511 in the new format). After finishing my undergraduate degree in biology I figured my GPA was much too low to have a chance at medical school, so I applied to and was accepted to a master's program. I finished my MS-HCA (healthcare admin) with a 3.90 GPA in 2012. But I realize this probably does not mean much to med school admissions departments. I currently have 10 years of hands-on experience in a clinical setting that included medication administration, wound care, etc. I ended up leaving that field and moving into pharmaceutical research and development for the last four years.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on what my chances could be or what I can do to improve my chances? As I said, I realize I am at a disadvantage due to my low undergrad GPA and age, but med school has been something I have always dreamed of and I do not believe I will be content without fully attempting to make it. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for providing such an informative and enthusiastic thread.

Hello All,

I found this thread while researching my chances at medical school and found it to provide a great deal of motivation moving forward. However, at my age (33) I realize I may also have that working against me. My current undergrad GPA is 3.02 after re-taking a class I did not do well in as a freshman, which is much lower than I would like. I have not taken the MCAT, but practice scores have been in the 30-32 range (508-511 in the new format). After finishing my undergraduate degree in biology I figured my GPA was much too low to have a chance at medical school, so I applied to and was accepted to a master's program. I finished my MS-HCA (healthcare admin) with a 3.90 GPA in 2012. But I realize this probably does not mean much to med school admissions departments. I currently have 10 years of hands-on experience in a clinical setting that included medication administration, wound care, etc. I ended up leaving that field and moving into pharmaceutical research and development for the last four years.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on what my chances could be or what I can do to improve my chances? As I said, I realize I am at a disadvantage due to my low undergrad GPA and age, but med school has been something I have always dreamed of and I do not believe I will be content without fully attempting to make it. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for providing such an informative and enthusiastic thread.
You really aren't in as bad of shape as you might think. One advantage of being older and having a low GPA is that it is a lot easier for you to show that the grades you have on your old record are not a reflection of who you are now. How long ago did you finish undergrad? Do you have any recent undergrad work? A class here or there? It will probably be a good idea for you to take some upper division courses and do well, or retake prior bad grades. Look into DO schools, they will replace bad grades with any retakes, while MD schools take an average of everything when calculating GPA. Your grad coursework is nice and will be appreciated, but most schools like to see undergrad work because the courses are more of an apples to apples comparison. You are already above 3.0, which is the low end of the automatic screening that a lot of schools do. With good clinical experience/extracurriculars, a good MCAT score, and some solid recent coursework, you should be fine.

^^what they said

try to find an in-state SMP that you can really crush. with your experience and age, you should be fine. there is actually an SDN member i go to school with who had a similar situation and was 36 when she applied/got in