Below the knee DVT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whasupmd2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is controversial, but was curious about your area standard of care? Are you guys anticoagulating these the same as other DVT? There seems to be pretty conflicting evidence.

Members don't see this ad.

In my practice the care is the same. The other area docs do this as well.

ntubebate

whasupmd2 said:
I know this is controversial, but was curious about your area standard of care? Are you guys anticoagulating these the same as other DVT? There seems to be pretty conflicting evidence.

Most of the major texts recommend coagulation for BK DVT. Essentially the treatment is the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
whasupmd2 said:

the smaller DVT's (below the knee, popliteal) should be treated with therapeutic anticoagulation. reasons? it is the nature of clots to propogate. also, though this type of DVT is too small to cause the large hemodynamically threatening PEs, these small suckers are thought to be reponsible for paradoxical emboli (snake right through them PFOs which are in at least 15% of the popluation). a small clot can wreak havoc once it reaches systemic circulation.

Qtip96 said:
the smaller DVT's (below the knee, popliteal) should be treated with therapeutic anticoagulation. reasons? it is the nature of clots to propogate. also, though this type of DVT is too small to cause the large hemodynamically threatening PEs, these small suckers are thought to be reponsible for paradoxical emboli (snake right through them PFOs which are in at least 15% of the popluation). a small clot can wreak havoc once it reaches systemic circulation.

http://www.bestbets.org/cgi-bin/bets.pl?record=00451

The Trauma literature only advocates anticoagulating AK clots which are deep vessels. Thus, there is no need to anticoagulate superficial clots or Below knee clots. You can just keep them on DVT prophylaxis and if the clot extends to any degree on repeat U/S (usually 1 wk) than full DVT treatment is warranted.

That being said... I know that in all the ERs I have worked in, and on the medicine wards, we anticoagulate ANY clot (regardless of AK, BK, superficial, or deep).

totalbodypain said:
No I've seen him work. He gives them factors, waits for the inevitable saddle embolus then calls it a day. Makes for quiker dispo you know.....

Easier to dispo the patients when a certain attending is on shift. If everyone has a DVT/PE, then he's happy and will sign the chart.

waterski232002 said:
The Trauma literature only advocates anticoagulating AK clots which are deep vessels. Thus, there is no need to anticoagulate superficial clots or Below knee clots. You can just keep them on DVT prophylaxis and if the clot extends to any degree on repeat U/S (usually 1 wk) than full DVT treatment is warranted.

That being said... I know that in all the ERs I have worked in, and on the medicine wards, we anticoagulate ANY clot (regardless of AK, BK, superficial, or deep).
Keypoint is that this is trauma literature and not emergency medicine literature. Trauma patients are often bedrested, ventilated, etc., whereas many of our medical patients are active and have underlying clotting disorders.

30% of all below-the-knee clots will eventually become an above-the-knee DVT. How do I know this? Because my instutition has had two M&M cases where calf thromboses were detected, not treated, and the patient subsequently returned within 5 days (both times) with PE's, one of which required thrombolytics.

ouch, scary. unless you always anticoagulate.

southerndoc said:
Keypoint is that this is trauma literature and not emergency medicine literature. Trauma patients are often bedrested, ventilated, etc., whereas many of our medical patients are active and have underlying clotting disorders.

30% of all below-the-knee clots will eventually become an above-the-knee DVT. How do I know this? Because my instutition has had two M&M cases where calf thromboses were detected, not treated, and the patient subsequently returned within 5 days (both times) with PE's, one of which required thrombolytics.