Bench exam ! part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yasi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what does that mean?

It means that it is possible to repeat the assignment :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

you can buy or order it from pearson. it's very good tool for classII and when you prep 19 distal for gold crown

Hi,

I just bought the ivory separator from Pearson. Could anybody please guide as to how to go about using it?

The two ends do not seem to fit any teeth. I ordered for the same product that was suggested in this forum.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sum

do you expect the assignments to be different than what were given in Feb 2007 ? im sure there is no harm in practising on other teeth but i was the understanding all the 2007 exams would be the same as the Feb 2007 preps ..

thanks ..

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck to everyone who are taking the exam ..

i started making preps after 4 years and in just two days i am a lot more confident .. i am still making the preps holding the typodont in my hand (old bench format) but once i get my maniquin im going to go all out and give it my best this time ..

keep practising and good luck ..

Hi all,

I emailed yesterday to DBC about the preps and this was thier reply:

"Yes the assignments for the exams both in October and November will be the same as February. They are posted in the "Restorative Technique Exam Candidate Handbook".

I hope this clears all the confusion

Good luck to all of you appearing in Oct-Nov

Thanks
Indodentist

Could anybody please specify the preps that came in the the Feb exam and what eveybody is practicing precisely .
Thanks it will be a big help for all.

I got the Feb preps from the previous mail.Are there any other preps we should practice.

1-# 4 MO Class II (Amalgam)
2-#9 PFM
3-#19 FGC
4-#6 Mesial Class III Restoration (Composite)
5-#8 Dista Class III Preparation

thanks

I got the Feb preps from the previous mail.Are there any other preps we should practice.

1-# 4 MO Class II (Amalgam)
2-#9 PFM
3-#19 FGC
4-#6 Mesial Class III Restoration (Composite)
5-#8 Dista Class III Preparation

thanks
You can practice lower bicuspid (20) pfm w/ porcelain occlusal (they give specs for that in the hand book) if you want. But definitly master the preps mentioned above.
Good Luck.

thanks for the update indodentist ..

its also good to know the assignments as far as what preps are going to be assigned for the Oct / Nov 2007 exam ..

keep up the practising and hard work

Hi guys,

In the RT exam handout published by the DBC, the occlusal clearance mentioned for the FGC is 2mm (with no specifications for the 3 different planes).

But, I guess we have been taught 1.5mm for the "A" & "B" planes and 1 mm for the "C" plane by Duggan & Dr. Thaw

Now, I guess Thaw teaches 1.8 for the A & B planes and 1.2 for the C plane.

What are the views of the other instructors (Duggan/Stevenson) on this and how much clearance are you guys planning on doing?

Any inputs on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
sum

Hi. I am sticking with 1.3mm clearance on A and 1.5 on B and C.

2mm clearance as mentioned on the handbook is the extreme limit. It is too risky to do. Any more than that and you are overreduced. I tried it before and prep looked too short. The range of clearance is actually 1.0-2mm with 1.5 being ideal. Last exam my clearance was 1.5 and I passed this portion.

I have a question also...what is the axial depth of the class 3 prep? I failed this part of my exam with examiners citing too deep axial depth. Now I am thinking if enamel is 1mm thick then I can extend to about 0.2 into dentin making my depth about 1.1 to 1.2mm. What do your teachers say?

Thank you.

Hi adideva,

Thanks for your response on the measurements for the FGC.

You are right, the normal cavity depth is approx 1.25 mm with the axial wall about 0.2mm in dentin. Good luck with the prep!

Thanks,
Sum

Hi adideva,

Thanks for your response on the measurements for the FGC.

You are right, the normal cavity depth is approx 1.25 mm with the axial wall about 0.2mm in dentin. Good luck with the prep!

Thanks,
Sum

Thank you for the helpful infos guys.
The cavity depth of 1.2-1.25 makes sense(consevative which is what the board is looking for).
What about Mesio-Distal width?
and how about Gingivo-Incisal measurment? We know that Gingivally the clearance with adjacent tooth is 0.5mm.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the helpful infos guys.

and how about Gingivo-Incisal measurment? We know that Gingivally the clearance with adjacent tooth is 0.5mm.
Thanks for your suggestions.

It is 0-0.5.mm. Check your handbook. This means you may or may not break the gingival contact. I would break it to a hairline though. Incisal conntact absolutely must remain intact.

It is 0-0.5.mm. Check your handbook. This means you may or may not break the gingival contact. I would break it to a hairline though. Incisal conntact absolutely must remain intact.

Thank you for your response Adideva.
May be I did not ask the question correctly.
If our prep has 3 dimentions i.e Depth,Width and Height.
The ideal depth we say is 1.2-1.25mm. What is the mesio-distal extention ideally(width) and what is the ideal gingivoincisal measurement i.e from the gingival limit of cavity to its incisal limit.
Thanks and good luck.

Thank you for your response Adideva.
May be I did not ask the question correctly.
If our prep has 3 dimentions i.e Depth,Width and Height.
The ideal depth we say is 1.2-1.25mm. What is the mesio-distal extention ideally(width) and what is the ideal gingivoincisal measurement i.e from the gingival limit of cavity to its incisal limit.
Thanks and good luck.

Hi adideva and dentologo,
I think the measureents for the ClIII should be:

1) M-D extension (width): around 1.5mm
2) Gingivoincisal: 1.5 mm's.
3) Axial extension/ "Floor/Seat of the cavity": 1.25
4) Height of the cavity depends on the facial extension, which again depends on where we get our 0.5 mm clearance at the gingival end and a thin hairline clearance from the ginigival end to the incisal limit (without a break of contac at the inicisal limit) .
5) Bevel at 4 line angles: M-D line angles on both sides, Inciso-Ginigival line angle, and the line angle that goes down from the M-D line angle ginigivally. (sorry, not sure what you call it).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Sum

Gingivo-incisal height is dependent on where you break contact. Thaw teaches to locate the middle of contact area and use that as the incisal border. This means prep from there going gingivally till you break contact on gingival. Then again, the handbook says that gingival clearance is 0-0.5. This means gingival contact may or may not be broken. Anyway, this determines your cavity's height, right? It could be less than 1.5 mm as you stated, sum.

There is no need to bevel the cavosurface. If you feel you must bevel, then do it correctly, or you lose points for that.

Gingivo-incisal height is dependent on where you break contact. Thaw teaches to locate the middle of contact area and use that as the incisal border. This means prep from there going gingivally till you break contact on gingival. Then again, the handbook says that gingival clearance is 0-0.5. This means gingival contact may or may not be broken. Anyway, this determines your cavity's height, right? It could be less than 1.5 mm as you stated, sum.

There is no need to bevel the cavosurface. If you feel you must bevel, then do it correctly, or you lose points for that.

Yes adideva, your description about the inciso-gingival height is right, and yes it could probably be less than 1.5.. too.

I thought the cavosurface bevel was mandatory and have been struggling to perfect it!!

Sum

Hi,

My bevels for the ClIII prep are coming out to be "C" shaped as opposed to being nice and sharp at the two corners.

Since it is not mentioned in the RT exam hand book, is it a good idea not to give it unless we have really perfected it, because it has to be given right if given , if not that will be an extra point for them to grade right?

Has anybody who have taken the previous exam,not given a bevel and passed?

Thanks,
Sum

Hi,

My bevels for the ClIII prep are coming out to be "C" shaped as opposed to being nice and sharp at the two corners.

Since it is not mentioned in the RT exam hand book, is it a good idea not to give it unless we have really perfected it, because it has to be given right if given , if not that will be an extra point for them to grade right?

Has anybody who have taken the previous exam,not given a bevel and passed?

Thanks,
Sum
Hello everyone.
Yesterday A colligue who just got her license was telling me that she took a review course with Dr. Stevenson (ucla) and he told the class that IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PLACE BEVELS(class III) PERFECTLY do not place any bevels, She did not in the exam and got 78 for class III????.
This is even more interesting about class II (amalgam prep) DO NOT PLACE RETENTION GROOVES IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PLACE THEM APPROPRIATELY. She said he told them if you don,t place them at all you will not loose any points but if you place them incorrectly you will loose points!!!!!!!!! she did not and got 85.... Any comments??

Please I need some help.
I bought a Quiet Air compressor from the colligue mentioned above, she got it from another friend and on the compressor it says to check the oil level regularly (she did not know how). there is a little glass on it where you can see the oil level and there is no oil visible.
If any of you has one of these or know someone who does please let me know how totake care of it.
Thanks and good luck to all.

You are right dentologo, even a friend of mine did not place the bevels and the retentive grooves in her last exam and passed both the preps and the exam!!
She had the same logic too, if you don't know how to place it right, you shouldn't venture into as you might lose points if place inaccurately. Also, it is not mentioned in the handouts! In my last exam they said, my bevel was excessive, so I don't plan to place it this time.

Regarding the compressor, I am not sure if your friend has the silent compressor from Yuri. If so, there is no way to check how much oil is remaining in the unit, what you could check though in the clear glass cylinder (in a black case) is the amount of oil to be drained. When the oil reaches the "maxi" level in the cylinder, you have to turn the knob anticlockwise very lightly , just enough to drain the oil (do not open too much as it leads to other issues; have done that a couple of times).

You replace 2 cups of oil in the compressor every month, if you use the compressor for about 4-6 hrs/day.

Hope that helps.

Sum

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if it was 'legal'/ "Ok" to use tooth separators in the exam (like the ivorine tooth separator from Pearson).

Has any objection ever been raised to it when used in the previous examinations?

Thanks,
Sum

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if it was 'legal'/ "Ok" to use tooth separators in the exam (like the ivorine tooth separator from Pearson).

Has any objection ever been raised to it when used in the previous examinations?

Thanks,
Sum

yes,you can use it,but just be carefull when dropping down the gingival wall of the box and watch not to get more than 0.5mm clearance on facial and lingual walls.

Thanks manatwork for your response. Yes I realize, we esecially need to use it very cautiously for the class IIs.

My only concern was if there would be any objection raised to using it in the first place. Apparently not I guess.
Thanks,
Sum

yes,you can use it,but just be carefull when dropping down the gingival wall of the box and watch not to get more than 0.5mm clearance on facial and lingual walls.

Hi. I noticed that there is no mention of axial wall height in the candidate handbook. I have been concentrating practice lately on Cl II and noticed that my axial wall height never reaches 1.5 mm (as recommended by some teachers) if I wanted my gingival clearance to be a little less than 0.5 mm. Sometimes axial wall height is even less than 1 mm if my pupal floor is just a little over 1.5mm deep. If I sink my gingival floor to increase my axiall wall, my gingival clearance is too much.

So what is more important? Axial wall height or gingival clearance?

Thanks.

Hi. I noticed that there is no mention of axial wall height in the candidate handbook. I have been concentrating practice lately on Cl II and noticed that my axial wall height never reaches 1.5 mm (as recommended by some teachers) if I wanted my gingival clearance to be a little less than 0.5 mm. Sometimes axial wall height is even less than 1 mm if my pupal floor is just a little over 1.5mm deep. If I sink my gingival floor to increase my axiall wall, my gingival clearance is too much.

So what is more important? Axial wall height or gingival clearance?

Thanks.
The gingival clearance is important as it is specified to be 0.5mm at the same time axial wall height is of significance and less than 1.25mm is too short.
It may be that you already have a light contact where the proximal box is to be thus upon dropping the box a little you get clearance. so I suggest make sure you have a reasonable contact and that the typodont is equilibrated.
Good Luck.

Thanks dentologo. I actually wedged #5 on the mesial while I was working:). Just to improve contact. Anyway...

I think my problem boils down to the fact that I didn't really want to go the full 0.5 mm gingival clearance. I was too afraid to overextend that clearance. My clearance was actually only about 0.2 or 0.3 mm--maybe just a hair line.

Just now I tried to drop my gingival floor a little to increase axial wall height. Guess what? I got a decent axial wall height and a "safe" gingival clearance where the RGS1 is still a bit tight. But I did that with the typodont off the manikin and using direct vision. I just wanted to see how that would work. Of course that would not be necessary on my next Cl II practice.

Thanks again.

Thanks dentologo. I actually wedged #5 on the mesial while I was working:). Just to improve contact. Anyway...

I think my problem boils down to the fact that I didn't really want to go the full 0.5 mm gingival clearance. I was too afraid to overextend that clearance. My clearance was actually only about 0.2 or 0.3 mm--maybe just a hair line.

Just now I tried to drop my gingival floor a little to increase axial wall height. Guess what? I got a decent axial wall height and a "safe" gingival clearance where the RGS1 is still a bit tight. But I did that with the typodont off the manikin and using direct vision. I just wanted to see how that would work. Of course that would not be necessary on my next Cl II practice.

Thanks again.
Very good.
You know that RGS1 is 0.4mm so if it is tight then you are less than 0.4mm
as long as RGS1 fits and it is not too loose we should be ok.
Good Luck.

Hi adideva and dentologo,

I guess dentologo is right, the gingival clearance is more important than the axial wall height and the RGS1 is a great instrment to verify it.

Hope your preps are coming along fine.

Sum

Hi guys,

People who have been frantically trying to buy burs and hand instaruments at the last minute, you should probably consider buying directly from the brassler.

http://www.brasselerusa.com/brasseler_flash_end_1024.html

(You need to call them and order).

I just did that today, and also figured out that they charge so much lesser than the other people too! Their carbides cost only 85 Cents each as opposed to the other stores (Duggan , UOP, Thaw, UCSF, UCLA, USC.....etc) who charge anywhere between $1.30 - $1.50!!!

Especially since we also always need so much of these (carbides), it definitely works out great pricewise!

Their hand instruments also cost only about $9.50 compared to anywhere from 15-$18 charged by the others and it is awesome too!

Just wanted let you share the news!

Good luck and happy saving!

Sum

Hi guys,

People who have been frantically trying to buy burs and hand instaruments at the last minute, you should probably consider buying directly from the brassler.

http://www.brasselerusa.com/brasseler_flash_end_1024.html

(You need to call them and order).

I just did that today, and also figured out that they charge so much lesser than the other people too! Their carbides cost only 85 Cents each as opposed to the other stores (Duggan , UOP, Thaw, UCSF, UCLA, USC.....etc) who charge anywhere between $1.30 - $1.50!!!

Especially since we also always need so much of these (carbides), it definitely works out great pricewise!

Their hand instruments also cost only about $9.50 compared to anywhere from 15-$18 charged by the others and it is awesome too!

Just wanted let you share the news!

Good luck and happy saving!

Sum

Thanks for sharing the info.

I have not received mine. Hmmm...if not received by Saturday, I need to call the DBC on Monday. But knowing how those people entertain phone calls, I think it's going to mean a drive up to Sacramento--and one practice day gone to waste:-(

Adideva,

I think I received mine 2 weeks ago. This is the yellow & pink cards that came along with the letter that said my exam was to be held at UOP on the 20th.

Is there a separte confimration card that I should expect?

Sum

Adideva,

I think I received mine 2 weeks ago. This is the yellow & pink cards that came along with the letter that said my exam was to be held at UOP on the 20th.

Is there a separte confimration card that I should expect?

Sum
Hi Sum
You should be OK. This is the letter that has your candidate # on it and included is also your badge and says if you are taking the exam on Saturday or Sunday.
Good Luck.

I have not received mine. Hmmm...if not received by Saturday, I need to call the DBC on Monday. But knowing how those people entertain phone calls, I think it's going to mean a drive up to Sacramento--and one practice day gone to waste:-(

Hi Adideva.
Yes call them on Monday but if you send an email to Dawn Dill or Jessica Olney they,ll respond as well, sometimes it is impossible to get someone on the phone and they are not too good in returning phone calls.
Good Luck.

Thanks Dentologo. You should be fine adideva, don't worry, as dentologo has suggested you could email Dawn, she is pretty responsive.

Good luck to both of you.

Sum

Very good.
You know that RGS1 is 0.4mm so if it is tight then you are less than 0.4mm
as long as RGS1 fits and it is not too loose we should be ok.
Good Luck.

hi, where can you purchase the RGS1 instrument ? Is it specifically made to check for gingival clearance or is it a hand instrument used for something else ? where can you buy it online ? thanks ..

also, does anyone know if a Perio Probe is allowed for the RT exam ? I rememebr reaidng somewhere that it can be used in the exam but cant excatly remember where ..

RGS 1-4 instruments you can buy from the UOP or USC bookstore.
I have a question for those appearing in the october UOP exam is if they know when is the registration day Friday or the day of the exam .It says on the info letter that the registratins day is on the exam day b/w 7:00-7:30a.m just wanted to confirm or do we need to call the board to confirm this.
Thanks and Goodluck to all.

Hi guys,

Just talked to Jessica from the DBC and she confirmed that we do not need to go to UOP on the 19th of Oct for the registration and that the registration would be held on the morning of our exam between 7 and 7.30.

Others could call her to confirm this too.

Thanks,
Sum

RGS 1-4 instruments you can buy from the UOP or USC bookstore.
I have a question for those appearing in the october UOP exam is if they know when is the registration day Friday or the day of the exam .It says on the info letter that the registratins day is on the exam day b/w 7:00-7:30a.m just wanted to confirm or do we need to call the board to confirm this.
Thanks and Goodluck to all.

i just called USC bookstore as i am not in California to order over the phone and the USC dental store said they could not find the RGS 1 in their database unless they had the manufacturers name or additional information on the instrument ..

i would appreciate it if anyone can provide additional information on the RGS instrument and what measurements the RGS 1-4 are and which one to roder got the 0.4 mm measurement ..

Thanks Sum for your response and about the RGS 1 & 2 is one measuring instrument with .4 and .75 mm width in measurement on each end and RGS 3& $ have imm and 1.5 mm width on each side you can get them from the store when you are here for your exam .

Also the RGS 1 is 1.5mm in lenght and RGS 2 is 2.0 mm in lenght and so on .They really help to check the dimensions of your prep.

Also the RGS 1 is 1.5mm in lenght and RGS 2 is 2.0 mm in lenght and so on .They really help to check the dimensions of your prep.
Hello Txdentist.
RGS (Richard G Stevenson) instruments 2 of them are from Dr. Stevenson of UCLA, I don,t think you can even buy it at UCLA bookstore though you may try,their # is (310)825-7721. But I am pretty sure you can buy it from
Jeela Dental Supply their # is (661)288-1558.
Good Luck.

also, does anyone know if a Perio Probe is allowed for the RT exam ? I rememebr reaidng somewhere that it can be used in the exam but cant excatly remember where ..

Hi Txdentist.
I remember reading somewhere in the candidate handbook that perio probe is allowed on the exam.

I think the perio probe has limited use in the RT exam.

You can use the tip to measure 0.5 clearance on Class II. Be sure the tip measures 0.5!

You can measure tooth reduction (but not clearance!) using a sock down jig--basically a "night guard" made to your typodont using a thin vacuum form material. Punch holes on jig while typodont wears the night guard. Measure amount of reduction by inserting perio probe into holes.

or...you can lay the probe on the occlusal of the teeth adjacent to your prep--in our case #18 and 20. If your prep touches the probe on the occlusal, you have inadequate clearance.

RGS 1 to 6 more useful IMO.

Thanks Dentologo,

Good luck to yourself and everyone else too. Hope all of us pass!!

Sum