Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mandatory core outpatient rotations were without residents, but all my inpatient/IM/surgery/psych/EM were with residents. I always felt like I learned much more with residency based rotations, and even preferred the IM team with the interns over the one with the seniors only. In private practice outpatient, I was either made to act like an MA or a PA, not in between. Like I wasn’t treated and respected as a medical student *learner*, I was free labor either being tasked over my head to be almost completely independent, or rooming patients and getting vitals.Its weird.
When I did a preceptor based FM rotation they were pretty good about teaching. Would let me see the patient, present, critique A&P and write the note. This was like 6-8 patients each day. I mean I felt like i was getting a good experience on the day to day. Like is this a "normal" preceptor-based rotation, or a good one and most are worse?
In IM I maybe saw and 1-3 each day. I got to present and do a note, but I definitely "felt" like I was doing less. Then again I guess I am also unconciously picking up what residents are meant to be doing.