Benefits for my spouse when I am in HPSP, and in military.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snorkelingdoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

Two questions.

What benefits can my spouse take advantage of when I am in the military HPSP (Army) while I am in dental school.

And what benefits does she have after I have completed my HPSP and am doing active service?

If she is going to dental school while I am in active service, do I get some tax benefits for her tuition?

Are there certain requirements to these? Do I need to have been in the military for a minimum length of time before I can take advantage of these? Does this incur extra years of service?

I believe the only benefit I get is that i get paid slightly more, and that increases further if we are apart?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all:

Two questions.

What benefits can my spouse take advantage of when I am in the military HPSP (Army) while I am in dental school.

She will not have any benefits other than helping you spend your monthly stipend.

And what benefits does she have after I have completed my HPSP and am doing active service?

She will receive all the benefits the Army has to offer a spouse of a serviceman.

If she is going to dental school while I am in active service, do I get some tax benefits for her tuition?

Ask your recruiter on that one... i'm sure you can claim the tuition as a deduction..but that's about it.

Are there certain requirements to these? Do I need to have been in the military for a minimum length of time before I can take advantage of these? Does this incur extra years of service?

Talk to your recruiter

I believe the only benefit I get is that i get paid slightly more, and that increases further if we are apart?

Thanks!

Again, talk to your recruiter

I have been active duty now for alomst nine years, and the only time I have ever heard of getting paid more for time apart is for Family Separation Allowance (FSA.) FSA kicks in when you are sent AWAY from your duty station on orders for periods of greater than 30 days (Pretty sure it is 30 days.) Usually this is only for deployments or extended exercises. It has been awhile since this applied to me, but I believe it was about $200/mo.

FSA does not apply for voluntary separations.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all:

Two questions.

She can access services available to spouses in the reserve. This can include things offered at any military base near you (discounted tickets to events/parks, commissary, and PX). Armyonesource.com may also mention things available to you.

In reality there is a big difference between Active Duty and IRR. Since individuals in the IRR are inactive - there is not much that is thrown their way.

Currently she could be eligible for $6,000 towards tuition. She can also use your GI bill if you stay in 6 yrs, or if she doesn't you can transfer it to your kids if you stay in 10 yrs.

She would have access to anything on the base mentioned above, plus tax assistance, legal services, free medical/prescriptions, a lot of "how to" classes and other things offered on the base through MWR (IRR may be able to do these too).

No. But if she joins then you guys can coordinate assignments/training together. It is much better for her to do HPSP then to come in after dental school and do loan repayment (because of the way payback is figured)

Only for the Post 9-11 GI Bill benefit. If you read through the benefit - it is a pretty nice deal for your kids (or at least one of them).

Being married you will receive a higher housing allowance. During dental school this increase amount will only be marginally noticeable when you get paid active duty the 45 days/yr. Once you are on active duty it will be very noticeable.

If you are apart for more than 30 days you will receive family seperation pay - only time that will occur is if you get deployed or go to a school like Officer Basic that seperates you for more than 30 days. If you choose not to live with each other (she doesn't want to live where you are assigned), you will get paid the same amount as if she were there with you.
Thanks!

Hope that helps

To add:

I believe a lot more benefits are extended to the IRR soldiers. Your wife may be eligible for a lot of the benefits regualar reservists have: including medical and dental coverage through Tricare.

Commisary/PX privilges offers a huge benefit since things are generally cheaper, and tax free.

The tax benefits of your wife having to pay tuition largely depends on your tax situation. There are two major tax benefits: the LIfetime Learning Credit and the Hope Tax Credit/American Opportunity Tax Credit. YOu may be able to take it since your begining salary as a dental officer falls below the limit.

http://www.collegeloanconsultant.com/college-tax-credit.html

And yes, the Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits are the only time sensitive benefits. Its pretty damn complicated though. I plan on passing my benefit to my son.

There are a slew of free programs usually offered by the local family resource groups... I was looking at a calendar recently, there's parenting classes for dads, moms, and a few other things.

Last edited:
To add:

I believe a lot more benefits are extended to the IRR soldiers. Your wife may be eligible for a lot of the benefits regualar reservists have: including medical and dental coverage through Tricare.

Tricare dental is available to you and your wife for a small premium, but I am almost positive that you will not be eligible for Tricare Reserve Select health insurance as a member in the IRR. It really sucks because it would have saved me a lot of money when I start HPSP.