Benefits of LECOM's PCSP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most primary care grantee programs are four years with a full ride but LECOM's approach seems rather pointless. Its like its all negatives. Who the hell wants to condense a four medical education into 3 years? Also who wants to graduate with the same debt as there classmate but in a worse position to pay it of because of your specialty? ...
 
Mercer has a similar program. The idea is that the program is accelerated but the students absorb about the same amount if infoation, so they work harder. They claim that one benefit is a year less student debt. I'm not fond of the idea, myself.
 
Mercer has a similar program. The idea is that the program is accelerated but the students absorb about the same amount if infoation, so they work harder. They claim that one benefit is a year less student debt. I'm not fond of the idea, myself.

Thats what im saying!!! I would do a 4th year of medical school if it means i would keep my hair...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to hear some more feedback on this topic as I am strongly considering this route.

Plus, I already lost my hair, so no sweat there...
 
I would like to hear some more feedback on this topic as I am strongly considering this route.

Plus, I already lost my hair, so no sweat there...

The only benefits I see is you will earn 1 additional practicing year which if you stay a Family doctor will earn you 200k. Also you get to subtract 40k from your total loans which if you adjust that to a 10 year plan and intrest thats around 60K. So you gain a grand life total of $260,000. Keep in mind almost all other programs like this completely wave all your medical student loans..


But @Goro @AlbinoHawk DO @touchpause13 might have more
 
My goal for medical school is to bust my tail and go full out for the duration. If I give four years the intensity that is required just to keep my head above water in a faster paced three year program, I am going to come out 33% more prepared. That is worth the extra year of tuition, IMO.
 
True. I should've been more clear in my response. I haven't been looking at this program in particular, just 3-year accelerated programs in general. I can't decide between pediatrics or fm, but I have plenty of time. I'll probably just do a standard 4-year program to be on the safe side in case my interests change while in med school.
 
There are other programs like this that waive loans? Do tell. I would do just about anything to find a full ride. Or even a significant discount. I may not be able to borrow enough to go to some schools, since I will probably not be eligible for grad plus loans.
 
The only benefits I see is you will earn 1 additional practicing year which if you stay a Family doctor will earn you 200k. Also you get to subtract 40k from your total loans which if you adjust that to a 10 year plan and intrest thats around 60K. So you gain a grand life total of $260,000. Keep in mind almost all other programs like this completely wave all your medical student loans..


But @Goro @AlbinoHawk DO @touchpause13 might have more
I think the way the curriculum is set up is that you do less elective rotations and instead just what's needed for primary care. I could be mistaken?

Don't you save yourself a year of tuition and the potential interest of having to do an extra year of school?
 
Time is study, yo. If I have to learn 4 years worth of material in 3, I am going to risk missing details. I don't see how it could be any other way.
 
I think the way the curriculum is set up is that you do less elective rotations and instead just what's needed for primary care. I could be mistaken?

Don't you save yourself a year of tuition and the potential interest of having to do an extra year of school?

True but how much do you lose by not specializing in a higher paying field ?
 
Last edited:
Primary Care specialties are specialties. Family Medicine is a specialty. Internal Medicine is a specialty. And Peds... definitely a specialty.

I hate this idea that primary care means "didn't choose a major."

This program is for people who have chosen to specialize in primary care. If they didn't want that, then yes, it would be a losing proposition for them.
 
True but how much do you lose by not specializing in a higher paying field ?
The program is intended for people that genuinely want to do primary care, so I don't think how much another specialty pays is a factor. For example, I know surgical specialties pay extremely well, but I have no interest in them. If there was a 3 year program to go into either neurology or psych, I'd take it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad