Berkeley 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agendas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I'm in for epi/biostats and right now they're my front-runner (though I still have to hear about aid). Hoping to get to the Bay for Admitted Students Day but might be traveling for work.

I'm really curious about the GSI/GSR positions (and if they can be secured for the fall) and their benefits, the potential impact of state budget cuts, and the international profile of the school and global opportunities for public health practice internship. I've emailed the department contact to see if I can get in touch with current students, but any feedback appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a voicemail from someone informing me I was accepted into Berkeley's program! No e-mail and no update on the admissions site, so hopefully this isn't a cruel joke!

I'm definitely really curious about the GSI positions. I'm planning to email some profs I'm interested in working for and see if they know anything about hiring for the new fall semester even without taking those courses. If we took those courses that are equivalent in another institution, it should be ok right?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a voicemail from someone informing me I was accepted into Berkeley's program! No e-mail and no update on the admissions site, so hopefully this isn't a cruel joke!

I saw this and got really excited since I received a call this afternoon from an unknown number, but then I looked up the number that called me and found out it was the Red Cross. That was disappointing.

I really hope they aren't contacting people via phone. I'm overseas D:

Berkeley is one of my top choices, but I'm also waiting to hear about funding. I will definitely be there for the Admitted Students Day.

I'm glad someone started one of these threads - has anyone heard from the MPH in Health Policy & Management concentration by any chance? If you have heard, did they email you or change your status on the UCB Grad App status page.

I'm glad someone started one of these threads - has anyone heard from the MPH in Health Policy & Management concentration by any chance? If you have heard, did they email you or change your status on the UCB Grad App status page.

I haven't even received confirmation that they received my app. I mailed in mid-November.

I haven't even received confirmation that they received my app. I mailed in mid-November.

I've heard the UC Berkeley never confirms anybody's apps and that decisions roll out late February-March regardless of when you sent your app.

Does anybody know about how generous UC Berkely is with funding students, particularly out-of-state ones?

Berkeley does not send confirmation about applications. They have a no-contact policy; it is stated on their website. They will only contact if something is missing from your application materials. Otherwise, the next or only contact will be their decision. Prior threads, here and elsewhere, show that they will make their decision soon.

I've heard the UC Berkeley never confirms anybody's apps and that decisions roll out late February-March regardless of when you sent your app.

Does anybody know about how generous UC Berkely is with funding students, particularly out-of-state ones?

Berkeley is atrociously competitive academically and financially. Classes are small, money is tight. We wish them to be more financially generous, but in-state students will likely get priority. I am from California, and I can tell you that Berkeley (and UCLA) is a dream school for many California students. The limitations in their funding can limit the number of admitted students. Who knows, they might surprise as yet.

which department was this for?

Berkeley is atrociously competitive academically and financially. Classes are small, money is tight. We wish them to be more financially generous, but in-state students will likely get priority. I am from California, and I can tell you that Berkeley (and UCLA) is a dream school for many California students. The limitations in their funding can limit the number of admitted students. Who knows, they might surprise as yet.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But is that the same for TA and work-study opportunities?

So for sure do grad students get in-state tuition the second year??

Members don't see this ad :)
MCH - and it wasn't a joke. They sent out an email last night from the department. I imagine that they'll be letting students from other departments know pretty soon.

How did the students who got admitted fro MPH epi know? Did they call you? Or send an email? Thanks in advance

I got into the MPH for Infectious Diseases/Vaccinology at Berkeley...but cannot decide between this program or Emory's MPH in Epi (I am from Georgia and know the cost of living here is so much less than the Bay/california). I keep hearing that the second year of your MPH you get in-state tuition so that does tempt me slightly, still....I can't decide!!

I got into the MPH for Infectious Diseases/Vaccinology at Berkeley...but cannot decide between this program or Emory's MPH in Epi (I am from Georgia and know the cost of living here is so much less than the Bay/california). I keep hearing that the second year of your MPH you get in-state tuition so that does tempt me slightly, still....I can't decide!!

The weather's nicer in the bay

Did anyone hear from the Health Behavior department??

Just checked my admissions status today and it had been changed yesterday to accepted, complete with a dean's letter. I got an email when I was recommended for admission, but not when I was officially admitted.

Also waiting on funding............. I am in-state so I hope I can bank on that. I will definitely need some help with this financially. Are there any options besides fellowships (good luck first-year Master's students...), work-study, or RA/TA-ships??

anyone know what the best graduate student housing options are? or i guess any cheap berkeley housing options lol?

Just received a fellowship award today :D They told me we won't hear about scholarships until 3/1, so I'm kinda surprised.

I think I'm going to Berkeley (99% sure)!

Last edited:
Just received a fellowship award today :D They told me we won't hear about scholarships until 3/1, so I'm kinda surprised.

I think I'm going to Berkeley (99% sure)!

congrats!! Which concentration?

My friend applied to the MPH epidemiology program...are there any that have been accepted yet? Or have they still not sent those out?

I still haven't heard anything from them. They better hurry up before I choose Columbia over them!

My friend applied to the MPH epidemiology program...are there any that have been accepted yet? Or have they still not sent those out?

Even I am eagerly waiting for the MPH epi program... Do let me know if your friend hears anything soon

Has anyone heard back from the HPM program?

Just got an email from Berkeley saying that I have been recommended for acceptance into the the epidemiology/biostats MPH.

Just got an email from Berkeley saying that I have been recommended for acceptance into the the epidemiology/biostats MPH.

Congrats! Is this for the one year epi program?

Got into Berkeley for an MPH in Infectious Diseases & Vaccinology about 2 hrs ago via email. :soexcited:

Waiting to here about funding. Right now, it's between UCLA Epi and Berkeley IDV. I'm still waiting to hear from a few more schools. I'm really hoping for some scholarship information tomorrow. :xf:

My friend who also applied to Epi just called the School of Public Health today. The student in the Office of Admissions who answered the phone told her that ALL decisions will be released for all programs beginning tomorrow and continuing through next week. Keep your eye on your email people!

Ah thanks so so much for the update. adfjd;fj now I am even more nervous hahaha but I am so glad to know.

My friend who also applied to Epi just called the School of Public Health today. The student in the Office of Admissions who answered the phone told her that ALL decisions will be released for all programs beginning tomorrow and continuing through next week. Keep your eye on your email people!

O snap! ****s about to get real for some peopllee!!!!

So has anyone heard earth shattering news from Berkeley? From the some of the forums I was reading, it sounds like if you get in, you have a congratulations email come through, but it isn't the official acceptance. If you're rejected, I believe you receive a link in an email to an admissions decision. From reading some of the older posts, I think this sounds about right.

So has anyone heard earth shattering news from Berkeley? From the some of the forums I was reading, it sounds like if you get in, you have a congratulations email come through, but it isn't the official acceptance. If you're rejected, I believe you receive a link in an email to an admissions decision. From reading some of the older posts, I think this sounds about right.

"It isn't the official acceptance" only because you will then be directed to the Graduate Divisions, which makes the final decision. However, this is a formality in the UC system. If the department "recommends you for admission," it is the decision. I was admitted to UCLA, and the same thing happened. The acceptance arrived via e-mail from the department, and then about 2 weeks later, the one from the Graduate Division with a link to a letter that pretty much said the same thing as the department's original email.

I received my dept acceptance (in the body of the email) on Thursday and just got my GradAdm acceptance (link via email) today.

Anyone know if you can sign up for graduate housing before you send the deposit? I still haven't finalized my decision, but I am almost positive I will go. I just do not want to lose any graduate housing spots!

Nevermind, just got my answer. Columbia needs to hurry and send me their financial aid info!!! I am afraid housing for graduates will be full by the time I hear back!! ahhhhhhhhhhh

My friend who applied to the MPH epi/biostats hasn't heard yet...she is kinda freaking out.......should be this week though right??

Vpark - do you know of any HPM applicants who have received word yet?

I only know of one person so far who has heard back from our program (from religiously reading these forums), but other than that it's been uncomfortably quiet. Any news on your end?

Also - the admissions office stated that they would be sending out decisions soon since their admitted students day is scheduled for the 18th (a week and a half from now). So I'm pretty sure we should be hearing something within the week?

Also - the admissions office stated that they would be sending out decisions soon since their admitted students day is scheduled for the 18th (a week and a half from now). So I'm pretty sure we should be hearing something within the week?

Giving accepted students one week's notice to visit the school is kind of ****ty :/

Hi there, I'm a Fulbright fellow (international student). I was informed by Fulbright last week that UC Berkeley has said yes to my app. I applied to the Policy track under HPM. Have not heard anything about financial aid though.

I only know of one person so far who has heard back from our program (from religiously reading these forums), but other than that it's been uncomfortably quiet. Any news on your end?

Gotcha. No, I haven't heard anything. I believe I saw 2 or 3 people who got in to HPM, but there stats were listed closer to the beginning of the general public health thread (the one thats like 19 pages long). There stats were very very good, so it doesn't surprise me that they had heard so early. But for the other normal 90% of applicants, I think we just have to wait through this week.