Berkeley 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still haven't heard. I'm starting to assume this means bad news. Has anyone heard back for hsb yet?? So far into Emory, Columbia, and ucla but berkeley's probably my top. Come on Berkeley!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from HSB either. I know their admitted students day is coming up but I have also read on multiple forums that this application cycle was bigger than normal so I feel like they might be backed up. I have seen a LOT of people waiting on Cal so I really feel like they havent sent out their decisions yet. I feel like UNC and Cal take the applications as a whole no matter how early you applied and shuffle through them all to find the best ones to fill the spots. I feel like the others look at your application the moment you apply and make a decision on the spot which could be why those two schools are taking longer (at least this is what I tell me nerves haha).

I heard from unc about a week ago. They've been my one rejection so far but I was expecting it because I'm applying straight out of undergrad. Berkeley has to tell us by tomorrow I'm hoping... Right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many students they usually admit for MPH?

Good question, I believe it depends on your concentration though. Epi/bio stats will be different from health & social behavior which is probably different from all the other ones. Some departmental web pages will list last year's number of applied and number offered admission, so you may want to check there first.

Anyone into the MCH concentration? I've heard that it's very quant-based. Any thoughts on this?

you're applying to the 11month epi program right? Stats are below:

Admissions Ratio: 30/61 (49%)
Average GPA of admitted applicants: 3.67
Average GRE scores of admitted applicants: Applicants with doctoral degrees are not required to submit GRE scores. Applicants currently in medical school may submit MCATs in lieu of the GRE.

2 year Epi MPH stats are below (for those of you who are curious):

Admissions Ratio: 39/141 (27%)
Average GPA of admitted applicants: 3.66
Average GRE scores of admitted applicants:
Verbal: 650 (93%); Quantitative: 760 (84%)

This is for the 2 year and 1 year MPH in HPM.

Fall 2011 Admissions Statistics:*

Admissions Ratio: 31/138 (22%)
Average GPA of admitted applicants: 3.50
Verbal: 600 (86%); Quantitative: 690 (68%)

*Statistics for 1- and 2-year Health Policy & Management MPH programs are combined

Booo, I couldn't find anything for Health & Social Behavior. :(

Is it a huge disadvantage for students coming straight out of undergrad? Ughhh I hope decisions come out tomorrow, I'm tired of waiting!!

Good question, I believe it depends on your concentration though. Epi/bio stats will be different from health & social behavior which is probably different from all the other ones. Some departmental web pages will list last year's number of applied and number offered admission, so you may want to check there first.

you're applying to the 11month epi program right? Stats are below:

Admissions Ratio: 30/61 (49%)
Average GPA of admitted applicants: 3.67
Average GRE scores of admitted applicants: Applicants with doctoral degrees are not required to submit GRE scores. Applicants currently in medical school may submit MCATs in lieu of the GRE.

2 year Epi MPH stats are below (for those of you who are curious):

Admissions Ratio: 39/141 (27%)
Average GPA of admitted applicants: 3.66
Verbal: 650 (93%); Quantitative: 760 (84%)

This is for the 2 year and 1 year MPH in HPM.

Fall 2011 Admissions Statistics:*

Admissions Ratio: 31/138 (22%)
Average GPA of admitted applicants: 3.50
Verbal: 600 (86%); Quantitative: 690 (68%)

*Statistics for 1- and 2-year Health Policy & Management MPH programs are combined

Thanks everyone. I applied to the 11 month epi program. I hope we all hear back tomorrow!!! Good luck

Berkeley IS responding today right? It'd be sort of ridiculous if they make us wait another week...

Berkeley IS responding today right? It'd be sort of ridiculous if they make us wait another week...

God I hope so! From the lack of postings through this week about notifications, it should only get better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone planning to call them up and ask?

Has anyone heard anything??

This is getting ridiculous! I feel like there's no reason they'd push it back this long unless we're all rejects haha

Does anyone know if Berkeley maintains a wait list for any of these programs?

I agree. I dont know why they would wait this long. It makes me worry that they didn't receive something from my application because they don't confirm (like every other school). I know they are a great school but they had the earliest deadline and are taking the longest to get back. They need to get with it! I'll work in their office of admissions if I get tuition remission. haha.

I feel like no one has really heard good news since late february. Are any of you HSB??

I ended up just calling because I was getting impatient haha. The admissions office was really nice and said decisions will be sent out in about a week but if you havent heard back you are most likely rejected or waitlisted. She looked me up while I was on the phone and I was rejected, first rejection but I know they have a great program and are smaller. So congrats for all those admitted, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford to go anyway!

My stats are listed on the RAW thread somewhere!

I ended up just calling because I was getting impatient haha. The admissions office was really nice and said decisions will be sent out in about a week but if you havent heard back you are most likely rejected or waitlisted. She looked me up while I was on the phone and I was rejected, first rejection but I know they have a great program and are smaller. So congrats for all those admitted, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford to go anyway!

:(
do you think this is true of others schools (aka Harvard) as well?

In that case, why don't they just let everyone know one or another?? The anticipation is worse than the actual rejection in my opinion.

Did anyone get into the HSB program?

I decided not to apply there for HSB since it's so competitive/small. Oh, and also because one of the faculty members straight up told me to try elsewhere. :wtf:

I also gave them a call hoping to find out more information and they said that some programs are still in the process of reviewing decisions DESPITE the admit day being on Monday.

This is such an incredibly frustrating process. I'm not quite sure I believe that they can still be looking at applicants considering how their deadline was so early and their admit day coming up.

I also gave them a call hoping to find out more information and they said that some programs are still in the process of reviewing decisions DESPITE the admit day being on Monday.

This is such an incredibly frustrating process. I'm not quite sure I believe that they can still be looking at applicants considering how their deadline was so early and their admit day coming up.
May I ask where you found the date of the admit day? I can't seem to locate it on the website. Thanks!

Did they say which programs are still in the process of reviewing?
Thanks!

I applied to the epi program and havent heard back either. However, I do know of 2 people who heard back tuesday and one of them was accepted into the epi program.

For any of the epi/biostats people that are waiting, I just called and they said that we can expect a decision next week.

Anyone waiting for the epi program, I had just called them, and they told me they made all their decisions this Tuesday and will be letting all the applicants know by next Tuesday.

Anyone waiting for the epi program, I had just called them, and they told me they made all their decisions this Tuesday and will be letting all the applicants know by next Tuesday.
I feel like they've been pushing that date to let us know back further and further. I totally understand that have huge amounts of applications, but... :confused:

Just got my official rejection via email. Link to the status page with a nice rejection letter. Just to let you all know! This was for HSB.

Has anyone heard anything from the Epi department? This wait is getting ridiculous.

I still haven't heard anything. Pretty ridiculous. But not going there anyways! *shrug*

haha same. I called them today anyways just because i wanted to know, but nobody picked up even though it was during their calling hours.

I finally heard back today, I was rejected from Epi. Oh well.

Also rejected from Berkeley for 1 year Epi.

I was also rejected from HPM concentration... thanks berkeley.

Just got accepted today, April 4th, 2013, into two year epi program at berkeley. wtf. that is too late. seriously? I already sent in my deposit to emory after i had emailed berkeley about when i would hear back from them and getting an email that said 'all acceptances have been sent out so all accepted students should know by now'. wtf.

Well, I may reconsider Berkeley if they offer me a full ride fellowship since I'm fully covered at Emory.

same here! where have you guys decided on?

I am a Berkeley alumni and i'm from the area. So maybe its a good thing to leave the nest.