berkeley, princeton review, or kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedbruin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT in April 2006, and I want to enroll in a prep course that starts in January. I will be able to put in at least 3-4 hours a night for the mcat from January to April. For those who have taken either berkeley review, princeton review, or kaplan, can you enlighten me on the strengths and weaknesses of each program?

Members don't see this ad.

i was going to take kaplan at my school, but have since learned that they emphasize/ tailor their course as to what was on the exam the previous year. My friend took kaplan last year and was told by Kaplan instructors, "orgo II is not on the MCAT." I'm not taking Kaplan, but thats just based upon what i've learned. Acquaintances have taken PR, but i have not heard anything negative, nor positive for that matter.

I took two courses (wasted both time and money the first time). It's partly my fault for not taking the test as seriously the first time.

I took Berkeley Review the second time and went up by six points. I improved because I studied better and because their course was better. I really liked the teaching at BR, because they integrated different subjects, just like the MCAT. I like that they emphasized test taking in their lectures. I think because they only offer MCAT classes, they have a better grasp on the MCAT. They emphasize thinking over memorizing/reading, which was a little hard to get used to at first.

No matter what course you take, it will come down to how much time and effort you put in. Do passages and go over the answers multiple times.